Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas in Budapest

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Christmas in Budapest

I've posted a full report on our Christmas in Budapest, including three nights at the Corinthia Hotel (above) here:

http://www.luxurytravelblog.net/The_..._Budapest.html

For FlyerTalk fans, this is what I wrote about the journey:

How do you celebrate the end of the worst year anyone can remember? We’ll look back on 2009 as the time when the world economy seemed in danger of total collapse. There can’t be many people on the planet who have escaped the effects of this financial devastation. Beyond the economics, the worst thing about 2009 was just the sheer psychological weirdness of not knowing what was going to happen next. Although we both kept our jobs and went to so many beautiful places in the world, I never want to see another year like this one.

Just in case we were in any doubt, our plans for toasting the end of 2009 were almost wrecked when British Airways cabin crew decided they were going on strike. We took the calculated decision that there was very little chance of the action being called off, so we rebooked immediately on Malev, the Hungarian national airline, which cost us several hundred pounds more. The irony is that we ended up in the BA lounge at Gatwick (above), as they codeshare with Malev. This picture flatters what is a fairly miserable place, with decor that looks about twenty years out of date.

Things didn’t improve much when we boarded the Business Class cabin on Malev. When is someone going to wake up to the idea that a decent BC service is possible on European flights? What we get instead are endless little cuts in the standards of service that leave you wondering what you are paying for, beyond the ability to get off as quickly as possible.

The trip improved mightily once we got to Budapest, as this fantastic street art (below) indicates.

Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for your report. What do you not like about the BA lounge at LGW? I used it in 2007 and remember rather enjoying it.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:16 pm

Thanks for posting. I was in Budapest in 1972 and was not crazy about it but obviously it's changed a lot since.

At the time I flew on a Malev Tupolev from Vienna. On the 30 minute flight we were served a huge plate of Hungarian salami and rolls. I loved it. However 6 months later 3 of their Tupolevs crashed and they were grounded.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Nice TR! Budapest seems to be a nice city. The restaurant you went to seems very high-end in the inside and the dessert looks yummy!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:12 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
The Malev flight was only enlivened by the presence of two air stewards who looked like extras from a Hammer Dracula movie from 1971.
How can you not like that! ^
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

BA lounge

Originally Posted by CMK10
Thanks for your report. What do you not like about the BA lounge at LGW? I used it in 2007 and remember rather enjoying it.
Thanks. In a nutshell: old, uncomfortable sofas, unimaginative food selection and no special/unusual features.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by geoffsb
We’ll look back on 2009 as the time when the world economy seemed in danger of total collapse. There can’t be many people on the planet who have escaped the effects of this financial devastation.
Well, in all friendliness, in that case your planet seems a bit limited. It has also been business as usual for me, but then I may have a perspective of quite a few economic downturns over the decades. Unfortunately... If the downturn will be limited to 2009, then I will be very happy.

However, this is the trip report forum, and it was nice to hear about Budapest, a city I have neglected for over 15 years. I wanted to ask you about Gundel, is the service still as superb as it was shortly after the post-communist revival of this landmark restaurant? Did they play any live music at Christmas lunch by any chance?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:47 am

Smile I adore Budapest

I adore Budapest- It certainly is one of the prettiest cities in the world. There are so many things to see in Budapest. It is a very romantic city, artistic and cultural, historic and modern as well as a culinary delight. 4 stars Normafa Hotel is where I've stayed and I warmly recommend it. Not expensive, yet lovely. There is a web site called easyclicktravel where you could get some efficient information about the city. If you didn't visit Budapest yet, I urge you to go I'll meet you in Budapest, Take care
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
I wanted to ask you about Gundel, is the service still as superb as it was shortly after the post-communist revival of this landmark restaurant? Did they play any live music at Christmas lunch by any chance?
Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, have been away. No, they did not play live music, but the atmosphere is still great - fin de siecle grand European!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:21 am

Thumbs up you've convinced me

Originally Posted by petrapol
I adore Budapest- It certainly is one of the prettiest cities in the world. There are so many things to see in Budapest. It is a very romantic city, artistic and cultural, historic and modern as well as a culinary delight. 4 stars Normafa Hotel is where I've stayed and I warmly recommend it. Not expensive, yet lovely. There is a web site called easyclicktravel where you could get some efficient information about the city. If you didn't visit Budapest yet, I urge you to go I'll meet you in Budapest, Take care
Thanks Petrapol for the info, I'll keep it in mind
I was wondering where to go this coming summer
I think you've convinced me to go to Budapest
How much did you pay for this hotel?
Was it costly?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:36 am

That should help

Originally Posted by happytobetheone
Thanks Petrapol for the info, I'll keep it in mind
I was wondering where to go this coming summer
I think you've convinced me to go to Budapest
How much did you pay for this hotel?
Was it costly?
http://www.easyclicktravel.com/PageH...earchResults=1
That should help
Old Apr 27, 2010, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by happytobetheone
So...What's your question?? Don't understand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.