Wiki Posts
Search

Ghana International Airlines ACC-LGW

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS,
Ghana International Airlines ACC-LGW

After just 5 days in the Ghana office it was time to head home.

Arriving at Kotoka Airport the queue for the rather strange Customs check was fairly light and was soon in the pre-check in weigh the baggage game queue.

to explain this a little more....before you are allowed to join the queue to actually check in for the flight you have to have your baggage weighed, this for a people watcher like me is pure heaven as most of the passengers have seriously overweight luggage. Feeling like a total failure with my 1 case only weighing about 11KG i arrived at the desk to find some rather frazzled looking staff.

The computer system at the airport had totally failed. staff were doing a manual check in which obviously was taking more time. After a few minutes though i was parted from my lightweight case and headed to immigration (should that be exigration), filled in the landing card and joined the short queue to wait for the stamp in my passport.

after a few minutes was through security and headed to the Business Class lounge. The new (ish) lounge at ACC is a vast improvement on the previous one. there is a well stocled bar, comfy seats, WFIF access as well as a couple of PC's to use and snacks avalable.

We were called for the flight and after finishing my drink and taking a stroll to the gate boarding was announced as i arrived.

the Business cabin was fairly full with i think only about 4 seats empty, champagne, water, juice offered and refilled.

Take off was on time and smooth. Crew were in action really fast, drinks offered, everyone asked if they were going to eat, about 50% went straight to sleep. Starter tray came up with another refill of my glass follwed by a great main course. skipped dessert and settled down, ish. I am not good at sleeping on a flight, i have tried being sober, drunk, tired, hungry, hot, cold and even sedated but rarely sleep much, so time for the Ipod.

Managed to fall asleep about 2 hours from LGW, so crew woke me (very nicely) as late as they could. Landed early but at a gate that i think may well have been at LHR, it was a really long walk at 6am after arriving to a very cold and wet london. Bags were off by the time is had arrived at the belt.

All in all, i am very impressed with the service GIA is offering. Their aircraft is not the youngest i have every been on and certain fittings are showing a sign of extreem age but everything worked eventually. Ok you do not get a flat bed but as i do not really sleep on planes as long as i am comfortable it doesn't really matter to me. i fly this route 5 or 6 times a year and have mainly used BA but with the issues that they have at the moment as well as their really bad realbility (average delay 29 minutes) as well as price considerations my loyalty is fast decreasing.

My next trip to Ghana is using BA as i have already booked this using an AMEX 241 but after that i will be back down to LGW and flying the Ghana flag again.^^^
Old Dec 8, 2009, 1:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum
Interesting report! I don't suppose you have any photos? I'd be very interested to see the inside of that plane.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:42 am

Thanks for posting a report of an unusal airline.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by bombayhog
Interesting report! I don't suppose you have any photos? I'd be very interested to see the inside of that plane.
Business Class Cabin

Economy Class Cabin

Cockpit

Old Dec 8, 2009, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

well done Sean, knew you would be along with the photo's

stu
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Excellent report stuart.

And excellent looking hard product Sean.

zz
Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
good report stuart101
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
good TR, do you have any additional info you could post about the food options?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UCBeau
good TR, do you have any additional info you could post about the food options?
Thanks

have a look at my outbound report. THe menu has been posted already

Stuart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.