Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Great stuff Kiwi Flyer - a very enthralling report as usual.

No need for photos when you describe the beautiful New Zealand countryside as well as you do. I want to go back.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Thanks HIDDY

The next bit (start of the main part of the report) will be posted shortly. Although the BA strike has been called off (at least for the duration of this trip) I have some wrinkles arising from the threat to deal with. It would be so much simpler if I had straight out and back itineraries like normal people, but then my travels would be more boring too.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Taupo Hilton

As luck would have it a few weeks ago the Terraces Hotel converted to a Hilton (only the 2nd in NZ) and also opened a new wing.

I didn't check but I believe there is parking underneath the building.
We recently stayed here (the day after Kiwi Flyer) on HHonors points. No upgrade as a HHonors Blue member. Some of the rooms are connected to the main pathways by several keycard entry doors.

The gym, sauna and steam room are very nice. There is also a fireplace next to the pool & spa.

DeBretts Spa & Resort is right next door to the Hilton, and only takes a couple of minutes to walk to.

Self parking is free, but valet parking was $35 IIRC.

Apartment rooms are also available to buy.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:34 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by futaris

Apartment rooms are also available to buy.
Did you find out how much they are selling for? I would love to have one in my dreams!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SQ Silver
Thank you for the fanatastic reports kiwi Flyer

I made my first visit to New Zealand this September and fell in love with the country.

I've particularly enjoyed reading about your flights on the Beech 1900D as I flew CHC-HKK on one and found it a bit of a scary experience!

Looking forward to reading more^
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Barely a couple of days after I (again) finish flying every flight on the Air NZ network, than they announce another new route commencing mid 2010. Time stands still for no one.

Now, back to the trip.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

A Poor Start

Expletives filled the air and then I jumped into action.

Moments earlier a cog whirred in my brain, slowly awakening from deep slumber. Wasn't I anticipating a short sleep tonight? Why do I feel like it has been a much longer sleep than expected?

Tick. Tick. Tick.

One eye opens and I attempt to read the alarm clock.

04:40

Something is wrong here.

Tick. Tick.

!@#$% I was supposed to be up at 03:00. My flight leaves in just over an hour and I'm a long way from the airport.

My mind switches into dazed overdrive as the adrenaline starts coursing. What happened to the alarm? Ooops set for 03:00 pm.
Okay, think carefully. Can I still make the flight? Yes I think so, if I hurry.
A very quick shower (more of a splash) to clear my mind of unneccessary thoughts.
Throw clothes on.
Call cab.
Shove gear into my carry-on. Hope I got everything.
Pat pockets - yes I have my passport.
Out the door.
Realise I've left my keys behind.
Back in the door.
Grab keys and go.

For once the cab had arrived quickly, and was already heading off down the road without me when I reached the street. The driver must have been checking his mirror as I managed to attract his attention and he came back for me.
I climbed in and gasped - airport please.

I started to breathe again. It was now 04:50 and boarding commences in 15 minutes. For now there is nothing I can do but hope the ride is quick and hope I can check in rather late.

I wondered if I'd left anything out that I needed to do or bring - my mind being on autopilot from the experience of a thousand early morning flights, although not normally as rushed as this time. I started to think about what to do if I arrived at check in too late. Flights are full at this time of year. There aren't so many route options where I'm going, particularly with my usual crazy itinerary with a stream of connecting flights one after another.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Hopefully you made it and posted #52 from SYD ... (http://www.ba97.com/ba97/calendar/re...e=kiwi%20flyer)
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:20 pm

I am disappointed KiwiFlyer!! For an early start such as that, you should have had a back-up alarm. Call me paranoid, but I have 3 alarms, from two sources. So if I had to be up at 3am, I would have an alarm setting as follows:
2:50am Iphone
3:00am Clock radio
3:10am Iphone

Anyway, can't wait to read more!! And hope you made your flight (you always seem to just make it, touch wood on your behalf).
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Normally I don't even need the alarm. I almost always wake up well before the time it is set. That I didn't this time is a reflection of how dead tired I'd become (more on this later).
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to SYDNEY (AKL-SYD) on LAN A340-300 in business class

I arrived at the terminal just as check in was packing up. Due to computer systems used by Qantas I cannot use the premium lobby to check in and instead use the regular counters, one of which is for LAN business and elite passengers.

The person in front of me has some oversized items and is told politely by the check in person to get these checked in at the oversize items desk asap or they risk missing the flight, and now please get out of the way.

Check in was quick and I was soon handed a boarding pass. I was expecting two, since my connection in Sydney isn't long and I didn't want to deal with the transfer desk there if I could help it. A few keystrokes later I got the onward boarding pass plus another four.

The check in agent started to ask questions about all these flights when I pointed out the time. She stopped and said yes I better be going as boarding is already underway.

I raced upstairs to immigration. The bouncers were stopping every passenger and asking to weigh carry ons. I pointed to the "Business" printed on my boarding pass in large letters, and rushed on through.

The queues were very long. Once again immigration had decided to have only 3 desks open at this very busy time of day. While slowly making progress in the queue I could hear multiple calls for LAN passengers to please board, this is the (a) final call. Just when I was two people from the front of the queue another 6 desks opened up. Sheesh.

There were only 2 security lanes open, and I had the choice of tucking in behind a very young family or an unsteady granny. Neither was a good choice due to slow processing, and made worse by getting the non-random pat down afterwards.

I raced to the gate. It felt odd walking past the corridor to the lounges without going inside. When I reached the gate the last few people were boarding. Made it just in the nick of time.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

The flight was full. We pushed back a little bit late due to paperwork issues. I struggled to stay awake for the safety video and then slept most of the flight. The ride was smooth. We had the obligatory couple of circuits over Sydney before landing behind schedule. Nice views of the central city wreathed in low cloud and humidity with early morning sun reflecting brightly off all the water.

We got a close in gate. The airbridge operator really struggled to get the bridge close to the door. It took several goes over 20 minutes before it was aligned close enough that we could go. Even then, there was still a several inch drop from aircraft to the airbridge.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

LAN
Business Class menu
Auckland to Sydney
December 2009

Breakfast

To Start

Orange juice, tea or coffee

Yoghurt and cereals

Fresh seasonal fruit

Croissant, white bread, whole wheat bread, toast and water crackers, with butter and preserves

Main dishes

Fresh omelette with mushroom ragout and roasted tomato

Variety of ham and cheese

Wines

Encierra, blend 2006
San Diego de Puquillay Winery - Colchagua Valley

Numina, malbec 2006
Salentein Winery - Uco Valley, Mendoza

Viu Manent Reserve, carmenere 2007
Viu Manent Winery - Colchagua Valley

Garuma Single Vineyard, sauvignon blanc 2008
Leyda Winery - San Antonio Valley

Bar Service

Alcoholic beverages
Chandon "Baron B", Pisco Sour, Vodka Absolut, Whisky Johnnie Walker Black Label, Bailey's Irish Cream, Cognac Courvoisier VSOP, Beers

Non alcoholic beverages
Orange Juice, Fruit Juice, Tomato Juice, Mineral Water, Sparkling Water, Tonic Water, Softdrinks

Hot beverages
Coffee Musetti, Instant Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee, Dilmah Tea and Herbal, Ceylan, Earl Grey, Jasmine Green Tea, Green Tea, Chamomile, Mint

LA801-DIPTICO BC C3
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:55 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I see what you mean about LA food! I'd rather sleep, then stay up for that meal.

What do you think of the new departure hall at AKL? I found it to be very small & with ques building fast.

Also when I went to Sydney the other day every single passenger was getting the pat down
Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:43 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I´ve been through the new departure hall before. Each time I´ve gone through there have been big queues due to not enough desks being manned at immigration and not enough security lanes being manned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.