Search

Passport to nowhere.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Passport to nowhere.

Introduction. (This was hand written on CO 47)

This was supposed to be my ultimate trip in my 2years with FT. I had LH J + F seats on top of the StarMegaDO flights. There was too be great friends, good food, and awesome events. In short straight EPIC. Then Murphy came a long, anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Now, I should have foreseen problems, as I am the predominate bad decision maker. In short I make bad decisions all the damn time and I have discovered that my greatest enemy will forever be myself. I roll with the problems, I own them. This trip would be no exception.

Through travel we discover ourselves. At 35,000ft we flyertalkers find meaning in travel and in life. It shows us who are friends, enemies and ourselves are. We are a community bound by this love of travel. We come from all walks of life and corners of the earth. This week we came. From all around the world, we came to the DO that Tommy, Oliver, and XYZZY built. There was over three hundred people there. We came from everywhere, even Seattle, and San Diego.

My trip was supposed to be a simple one. NW/DL to JFK, LH to FRA, and the charter. However, I had to only live up to my FT moniker to see that this plan would not work. I picked my moniker when I was 14, it is a literary reference that should mean serious fun. There is however, a mischief side that gets me into trouble, and insures that nothing goes as planned.

The megado and this report will be no exception.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
What a foreboding start to a trip report... from the thread title I infer you had a "passport malfunction" of sorts? :O Can't wait to see more!
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Day 1

So Monday night I went to my place to pack my crap and get ready for the DO. I got the bag packed and I got myself to the Seattle airport to leave for JFK. Well I parked my car and boarded the bus to the airport. I got the airport and set myself up in the S concourse to wait out the hours to my flight. I took pictures of the model I bought from flight memory. I checked in for LH 405, and then I went to the bar.

At the bar I had an amazing discussion with a lawyer/HS teacher about U.S. immigration reform. I went to my gate to board my NW red-eye to MSP. Ooops no passport. Oh did I say oops I meant panic. For the next hour I tore the terminal apart. I asked everyone, I made calls. I did every thing I could from the airport. I talked to 10+ people and I got no where. When the flight was called for final boarding, I went to the counter and canceled my ticket to JFK, feeling like I had just been run over by a bus.

Despair, I thought I knew the well. When I left the Seattle airport I felt worse then I have ever felt in my life. I grabbed a cab from the cab stand, and I gave the guy directions and he took me home. It was 1 am and when I got home it was almost compulsive, I went through all my stuff for the 30th time. There was no anger, no denial, just despair. I pulled my self together and began to take the necessary steps. Those steps included canceling my reward ticket and informing the organizers that I would not be going to the StarMegaDO.

My soul was crushed and I posted a mea culpa on the CO forum under the title, “I am a effing moron.” Between all the sympathy I got from the members of the CO forum. The greatest thing about that thread was the discussion about the a v an in the thread title. Eventually my phone started to blow up and I started to get e-mails, stating that my passport had been recovered by USCIS at the Seattle airport.

I called USCIS and they said they would hold my passport for a few hours. I really didn’t think I would be able to put something together. However, I went online to Continental.com and surfed reward tickets. Surprise surprise there were saverpass tickets for the same day and returning on Saturday.

Sold.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:14 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Hanging on every word ... you've definitely built up the suspense!
Old Nov 8, 2009, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Day 1 pt 2.

Minute by minute break down of the 8:00 am hour.

8:05 discover USCIS has passport.
8:10 speak with SEA USCIS, get them to hold the passport.
8:15 Log on to CO.com search SEA-FRA reward tickets
8:17 Purchase SEA-IAH-FRA-IAH-SEA on CO metal, flight leaves at 11:45am
8:17 start packing
8:18 finish packing
Aint it amazing what you can get done in 3 minutes. 330 days, meh try 330 seconds.
8:20 bribe roommate to drive to the SEA airport.
8:35 arrive SEA airport.

For the record the walk-price for the same literary is $2,326 + tax.

I move up to one of the CO ticketing counters. In Seattle there is kind of a mixed bunch, some contract staff and some CO staff was behind the counter. I proceed to one of the CO kiosks and try to check in. I get to the point where it says I have to enter passport information, and that is when I called an agent. I explained to her the situation regarding the lost passport and how it is not in my possession. I hand her my ID and Gold card, and I ask her for a gate pass so I can retrieve my passport and I would complete check in at the PC. She asks to speak with her supervisor.

She comes back out a few seconds later and starts typing on her computer. She then furrows her face and says there is a problem.

Longest two seconds of my life right there. I thought I was about to lose it. I think she saw my face move into abject terror and said "just kidding." and the BP printer spits out a gate pass. After thinking where is the nearest AED, I begin to laugh as my heart restarts. At this point I started smiling and for the record I didn't stop until I got home yesterday.

I make it through security, good thing too, at this point I have no idea what is in my bag. I know I packed clothes, I am just not sure of what type they are. I take the tram to S concourse. Now in SEA people clear customs and they have a choice, go through TSA in S concourse and re-enter airside there or proceed to a secure shuttle that will deposit them landside. I spoke with one of the TSA people, and asked to speak with the customs supervisor on duty. She walked me through the land side portion of S concourse and walked me up to the Customs desk.

Customs handed over my passport with in seconds of my arrival. I have been screwed by US customs more time I care to discuss here. In fact I will not go through USCIS in Canada anymore because of it. That being said the SEA guys are good people.

It was going to be a good day.

The TSA supervisor walked me back to the airside of the terminal without re-screening. I took the tram to the B gates and I walked in to the PC to get the business done.

I was buzzed into the PC and I presented my passport and gold card...(For the record I am normally above the pulling of the status card to try and get better service. But I probably would have pulled out cash and tried to bribe the CO SEA agents to get service that day.) I asked to be checked in for my flights, seats assigned, and to be admitted to the PC. The first two went without a hitch. Getting into the PC proper was a bit more of a challenge. I had to explain the star rules to them. Eventually it got sorted out, I kept the trump card of switching to the bmi card in my back pocket hidden.

I start drinking. I start having fun with the agents. I am the only one in the club so we talk about the change over to star and such. After two drinks the barkeep asks me if I am over 21. I am 27 for the record, though my ex girlfriend calls me a child. I say it is a bit late to be asking and confess my true age. The SEA club has some nice CO models including the CO 747. I wish to pilfer them, but as the were clearly high end models pricing out at over 300 US each (they were on display, not for sale) I decided against it.

I continue to drink, finally I set up my computer and get updates out to FT and the StarDO crew that I am coming. I spoke with Tommy and he said that he had not gotten around to canceling my seat on the charter, so I should be good to go in FRA. He also told me that he had posted my withdrawal on the DO thread that I couldn't make it and that people were upset over it.

My flight is called and for the first time I feel the compulsion to kiss the ground and the carpet of the airplane on my in. I am so distracted by all that has gone on, I sit in the wrong seat. I eventually sit in the correct seat, next to an older woman and her mother on their way to MFE. I am sitting in the window which is not my preferred seat. Though lets be honest here, I would have shipped myself as luggage if that was possible. My seatmates did tell me I could go "tinky winky" anytime I wanted to though. I noticed as the flight was leaving, there was a CO 772 parked at the south concourse. The woman also bought me a drink and her mother gave me her lunch. For lunch there was the paper salad, a turkey BBQ roll, and a mini-twix bar. There was supposed to be LiveTV on the flight, but it was broken. Maybe I can get my miles back for this segment.

Lunch tasted like victory.

I arrived in IAH at North C and my flight to FRA was departing from E6. I booked it over there. I had just enough time to scarf some pasta salad and buy a liter of water for the flight before boarding started. I got my docs checked. (YAY having a passport.) I then proceeded to board my first CO wide body flight (764) since 1993. The seat was fine, and by fine I mean up to CO's normal Y standards.

While boarding I am fielding calls from Renard and MNmag seeing if I am actually on the plane. Eventually the door closes. Across the aisle from me is the cutest little 4year girl and her mom. They were traveling to FRA to visit some relatives. Now I dote on little kids, having worked with abused and neglected kids for awhile back in Atlanta, I have a soft spot for them. She told me she was from Alabama. I asked where in Alabama, I though I miss heard her so I asked again. Nope, heard it right the first time she said "Roll Tide."

Man they get started young. The rest of the family started laughing and the girl explained to me, that Auburn is a dirty word. She wanted to hold hands with me for take off. Seriously, she was very sweet.

The rest of the flight went smoothly. I had the Indian Veg option, which was very good and the paper salad. CO WHEN WILL YOU IMPROVE THE SALADS ON YOUR FLIGHTS??? There was a chocolate square. I bought red wine to go with dinner. I started to watch the non-avod IFE, but I guess to the stress of the day bleeding off I fell asleep before the first movie ended. I woke up about 15 minutes off of the Irish Coast. 6hrs of sleep, I would need it. CO Y breakfast was pathetic. There was a croissant and 4 grape sized pieces of fruit. I ate it all.

Landing was about 20 minutes early. We got a gate in the A finger of Terminal 1. And my time in FRA was about to begin.

Last edited by colpuck; Nov 9, 2009 at 9:11 am
Old Nov 8, 2009, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
If you don't include the priceless bevy of insults, I will.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Great so far. Glad your passport turned up!
Old Nov 8, 2009, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Great report so far. Looking forward to the rest of it.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:29 am

Now that was lucky!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your repport.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:05 am

Programs: QF PS, EK SkyWards Blue, SQ Krisflyer
Indian Veg option- always the best choice i find. Plus if you're still hungry, they'll often give you a regular meal too. Love it, and love the report so far.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Wow -- am enjoying all the details, so far -- what an adventure!^
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Who says the easy road of travel is fun?

Excellent adventure so far colpuck
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by colpuck
Minute by minute break down of the 8:00 am hour.

8:15 Log on to CO.com search SEA-FRA reward tickets
8:17 Purchase SEA-IAH-FRA-IAH-SEA on CO metal, flight leaves at 11:45am
8:17 start packing
8:18 finish packing
Aint it amazing what you can get done in 3 minutes. 330 days, meh try 330 seconds.
Those 3 minutes in your life could explain to anyone the difference between being a savvy, FT-regular pax and... just another pax.

Great report, keep it coming!
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Day 2 the champ has arrived.

After the mediocre breakfast CO 46 served up it was timed to land. Descending though the clouds I thought I might beat LH405 to the gate. Landed on the south runway I felt this elation build inside me. I had arrived.

The problem was 10 minute taxi to the gate. It took forever. Like that forever you have when you are waiting for the bathroom after your third beer. After seeing an impressive A346 take off, we made it to the gate. Moving from the jetway to the terminal was moving in slow motion. It was like I was recovering from a fight with Mike Tyson. The world was slowing speeding up. Blurs became solid lights, sounds became distinct voices. Ever increasing ever speeding up until it all exploded out in an orgasmic wave as I went from jetway to terminal.

Like the failure of Marlboro lights sate the post-coitus need, reality dawned.

There is no signage in the FRA airport.

I was lost.

I stumbled to the main terminal without a clue on how to get to the Sheraton. I found myself lost in the bowels of the FRA parking garage. Then my animal instinct kicked in, and a memory came to mind. I am ColPuck, I am never lost. It may take me longer, but I'll get there. I walked through the car park under the Sheraton and up the far side. Finally I found the entrance to the hotel. I staggered to the front desk having lugged all my crap from the end of the A pier.

I walked towards the counter when I was intercepted by a voice that did what I told people to do all week long. say my name. Rolov, the guy who I was supposed to guest into the FCT on Saturday, called me over. He looked so happy to see me. I have never been happier to see someone I knew. He told me MNMag was on her way from the welcome lounge. I ran into her next. We got the room settled and made out way up to what should have been out base of operations for the trip.

We got to the room, it was nice enough. I opened my luggage to discover that I failed to pack socks. MNMag suggested that I just wash the one pair that I had. I passed back into the bowels of the airport I went on the front desk's advice. I went the shopping mart, 13 Euro for socks. Bleh. Oh well. Sold. I thought about buying Jager. Too early for me. (or to late)

Back to the room, showered and feeling human it was time for the meet up. I would see who from the box manned up and showed up. Turns out all the proper villains save a few were here. Too many names to mention, I saw Renard98, Rolov again, Sbm12. and many more. I almost broke down in tears. I was so damn happy to be there at that moment. Then the biggest, whitest, blondest man I know arrived. The man, the myth, the legend, CMike.

Word was already around that the passport guy was here. Rolov had a sharpie and was writing monikers on our badges. Cmike got the party really started with passport jokes.

Normally, I return fire and drop more bombs the airforce, with the exception that I hit my target. Chinese Embassy. But not this time. It was time to bend over and assume the position. I lost my passport, I was a moron, and I was going take heat for it. Cest La vie.

It was clear to me, that I was going to be a bottom this week. Oh well, I am still the champ.

Next the LH tour.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:17 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Interesting trip there colpuck.

Misplacing a passport is something I don't want to experience in my travels.

Looking forward to hearing about the mega do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.