Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates Airlines A380 in-flight shower

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paella747
Actually, that's a question I've had for a long time as well.... What happens if you do hit turbulence while you're all wet and sudsy?

Also, can you turn the shower on and off, or once it starts, it's five minutes from that point on?

Thanks so much OP, I appreciate the great photos and information!!!
There is a light that tells you to return to your seat.
Now, having said that, I would think it would take a while to rinse off, dry off, and put clothes back on, so I don't know how quickly this could happen.

There is also a light to tell you to put your oxygen mask on (the green one with O2 below). I am guessing this means return to your seat as well, since the picture shows the man running away from the shower to get the mask?

There is also a button (on the bottom) to summon the FA as well.

I am guessing that if turbulence got problematic they would likely start knocking on the door.

This is what I'm referring to:

You can turn the water on and off and the timer stops when you do, as in this picture of the button:

5 minutes is actually not bad time-wise, even though it sounds a tad short.
As I mentioned, not many people fancied a shower on either of my flights. But then again, the average age of the people in the F cabin was around 60, so maybe they are not really interested?

Last edited by Flyingfox; Oct 6, 2009 at 1:50 pm
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:32 pm

What, no window? That's pretty cool though.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Thanks for the pics. Neat. Would they allow longer showers if there were only 2 of you using it?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by chanp
Thanks for the pics. Neat. Would they allow longer showers if there were only 2 of you using it?
hmm, now if ur really resourceful, bring an empty milk gallon jug on board, and fill it up in the sink... and use that as extra water...i'm sure the sink will have hot water. Also bring in a cup to fill the jug...

the shower time is a bit short, u got to factor in the weight of the water that stays on the plane the whole flight, 5 minutes = 5 gallons = 40 pounds or so. 10 pax = 400 pounds of water = extra fuel consumed. Maybe if they let you purchase blocks of water beforehand? or is it limited by the tank...what if ur the only F pax? then can you get 50 minutes or do they just fill the tank up based on what they need?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chanp
I thought about asking but I didn't. They did not offer any water time beyond 5 minutes.
5 minutes is actually fine time-wise, unless you've got long hair to wash (?). The shower is smallish and is really only designed for you to get in, wash, and get out.
I am sure they have to load enough water for the number of F passengers, even though most people may pass it up.
As I said earlier, most people were older on both flights (ages in the 50-60 range at least), so maybe they just couldn't be bothered to shower on the plane?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toadman
What, no window? That's pretty cool though.
I wish they'd had a window in there - now that would be very nice!

The good thing is your view is out into the room, rather than staring at a wall.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
I thought about asking but I didn't. They did not offer any water time beyond 5 minutes.
5 minutes is actually fine time-wise, unless you've got long hair to wash (?). The shower is smallish and is really only designed for you to get in, wash, and get out.
I am sure they have to load enough water for the number of F passengers, even though most people may pass it up.
As I said earlier, most people were older on both flights (ages in the 50-60 range at least), so maybe they just couldn't be bothered to shower on the plane?
I'm not sure I'd ask either. Thanks again for the report and pics.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:07 am

Thumbs up Nice

Will have to try.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

Awesome pictures! Thank you.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Very nice clear pictures Flyingfox. ^

Is it easy to get the temperature control set to your liking? Takes me more than 5 minutes faffing about with some hotel room showers to get the temperature right.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 3:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Qantas FF
Nice TR Flyingfox ^

To answer some of questions asked :

They do allow more than 2 people but only if one is disabled & needs their helper.

Longer shower times are allowed ... It all depends on the crew ... Quite a few FTrs (myself included) have done 2 showers long-haul + enjoyed a longer shower time

I like the TV in front of the John

In the unlikely event of turbulence, there's a metal-bar inside the shower next to the seat.

Cheers ^
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: Shiny ones
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Or they knew that the plane really only carries 2 gallons of water - and has a recycling system... don't be last in the shower queue!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:32 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum/ DL Silver
Originally Posted by KeystoneKid
Hey thats what we use to call a Navy Shower.
5 minutes in a shower was 4 1/2 minutes more than what we got after playing in the sandboxes at Parris Island.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:55 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Hmm, I wonder if the honeymoon couple could get a full hour and 10 minutes of water together... Or perhaps they'd prefer two 30 minute sessions with some rest time in between Seems like plenty of room in there if you're sufficently motivated ^
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:06 am

Programs: NON ELITE
Originally Posted by jetfan
If you go in with your travel companion can you have 10 mins?

10 mins is definitely not enough if two people are allowed to be in there together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.