10 Weird Foreign Laws

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10 Weird Foreign Laws

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:23 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Doesn't surprise me NSW have another law - most legislated state in the world wooo.

It's illegal to bungie jump in NSW!

ant0l: same for school leavers in NSW, just English, I didn't do any of those 3 subjects in my final years of high school (my job involves no science or maths, at least none that I hadn't learned before my final years, and I'm no slob, I won my age group in the national 50km Running Championships in 2007)
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:57 pm

How about LEFT on Red (for those of us who drive on the right).

here in BC (Canada) you can turn left on a red light, as long at the road you're turning onto is a one way. (2->1 or 1->1)

Only jurisdiction I know that allows 2way onto a 1way on red
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:00 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Flashing green traffic lights mean different things in different provinces of Canada.

In Vancouver (British Columbia, Canada), parking a car within 6 metres of the closest edge of an intersecting sidewalk at a corner is illegal, even if the curb is unpainted and there is no "no parking" sign.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:10 am

Well if "Left turn yield on (round) green" wasn't confusing enough...Charlotte has decided to pilot the flashing yellow arrow.

You don't get a round green. You have a flashing yellow arrow that means yield to oncoming traffic. It turns to a solid yellow arrow meaning it's about to turn red, then a red arrow.

I don't mind it, but the first traffic light I interact with each day is too busy with the flashing arrow for the 2 cars that turn instead of the 10 that want to go straight.

So...Let's say I'm east-bound staying straight. After north-south go red West straight and West turning left get green round/arrow and east turning left (never more than 2 cars) get a yellow flashing arrow. This stays yellow and flashing for quite a while, then the east bound turns round green.

I think it'd be better for east-west straight to get round green and both left turns to get flashing yellow. There is very little north-south straight traffic. Most will be turning East b/c that's the way to the interstate.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:17 am

In Australia - or at least Brisbane - it's worse with some signals.

Say we have a set of traffic lights where one column is for straight traffic, the other column is for traffic to turn right. Both sets have a red, yellow and green light. OK what am I getting at?

There are cases where the right turn arrow lights will start at red (stop), but then the red will disappear and there will be no right turn arrow light on. What does this mean? According to the word on the street, this means you can turn right with care (i.e. watch out for oncoming traffic, etc.). If you saw a green right turn arrow, this means you can turn right "without inhibition" (i.e. you should have full right of way, except for errant pedestrians of course). But if you see nothing, you can turn right as long as you check for oncoming traffic and before the red arrow appears again.

Confusing! Especially for intersections with this set up and a red light camera staring down.

In this light (no pun intended), new traffic signals now have a single column for the straight traffic and a single red right turn arrow light, i.e. if the red arrow shows, no turning, but if it's not lighted up, you can turn right with care.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:46 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Some strange laws:

Australia (NSW):
- A permit must be issued for all price draws and the permit number must be stated in advertisement.
For everyone not living here, this means that when you hear a radio commercial and you can win a voucher they need to say that this promotion is approved under NSW Permit Number LT125235, ACT Permit Number A234534 etc.
- in political radio advertisement you need to say who spoke the ad. Not just who authorized the ad, but who the actual speakers were ("Authorized by the Australian Government, Canberra, spoken by J Lenox, D Duck and M Goldstein").
- Voting is compulsory
- In order to gain access to a club as a non-member you need to be living more than 5km away

Or the US:
- No drinking for under 21 year olds (unless you are in New Orleans) but carrying guns, voting, driving cars
- Any laws (or code of practices) around nudity on TV/Beaches
- Some (alleged) laws regulating sexual positions and practices among adults
- Sales tax(es) not included in the price
- "WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm." on almost anything which is considered okay everywhere outside California.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by anat0l
In Australia - or at least Brisbane - it's worse with some signals.

Say we have a set of traffic lights where one column is for straight traffic, the other column is for traffic to turn right. Both sets have a red, yellow and green light. OK what am I getting at?

There are cases where the right turn arrow lights will start at red (stop), but then the red will disappear and there will be no right turn arrow light on. What does this mean? According to the word on the street, this means you can turn right with care (i.e. watch out for oncoming traffic, etc.). If you saw a green right turn arrow, this means you can turn right "without inhibition" (i.e. you should have full right of way, except for errant pedestrians of course). But if you see nothing, you can turn right as long as you check for oncoming traffic and before the red arrow appears again.

Confusing! Especially for intersections with this set up and a red light camera staring down.

In this light (no pun intended), new traffic signals now have a single column for the straight traffic and a single red right turn arrow light, i.e. if the red arrow shows, no turning, but if it's not lighted up, you can turn right with care.
This isn't exclusive to Australia.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
This isn't exclusive to Australia.
Oh well. Whatever, it's a dumb system.

Then again, in Malaysia, the right turn is denoted by a single green arrow which turns on when you can turn right. It flashes when it's about to turn off (i.e. get ready to stop turning right), then when you can't turn right there is no arrow.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These all pertain to Australia; some are laws, some are rules, some are just plain silly conventions:

In Australian international airports, use of cameras, transmitters and mobile phones is prohibited in the customs area (usually defined as the baggage reclaim hall and the customs inspection area). Most people seem to use their mobiles, however, and get away with it.
This seems to be the standard in most airports I have been to around the world.

You could get done in for copyright infringement for singing supposedly well-known, public songs such as 'Happy Birthday' and 'Waltzing Matilda'.
This is technically true in all countries that recognise copyright law. Of course you could hum Waltzing Matilda because the tune is not copyrighted.

In a similar vein, headline advertised fares for air travel in Australia must be shown inclusive of taxes and charges. I'm not sure if this is a law or not, but it has been hotly contested in various consumer affairs arenas so the airlines have been forced to comply. I have to say though that I like it this way - having a whole bunch of fares headlined as "$0" would mean very little to me. So there, rest of the world (except for NZ, which I think has the same rule).
The EU does this too.

If you are driving too slow in the right lane, you can be fined.
No if you're driving at 160km/h in the right lane but not passing you can be fined, conversely if you are passing someone at 40km/h then you could not be fined. Hence the big signs that say "Keep Left Unless Overtaking". It is however illegal to pass someone while in the left lane.

Similarly, you can also be fined for driving too slow on a highway.
That's incorrect.

In fact, in Australia, the application of fines is not consistent. (OK no surprises there) There are rules that people break all the time, but if the police feel like giving you a hard time then they can always find something wrong with you to give you a fine. Of course, a lot of people naturally b**** and moan about "revenue raising" when they do get caught.
Well yes, but as you point out it's not solely done in Australia. Ever seen in the US when the cops want to test someone for DUI (random breath tests are illegal) they'll pull them over for failing to indicate.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh well. Whatever, it's a dumb system.

Then again, in Malaysia, the right turn is denoted by a single green arrow which turns on when you can turn right. It flashes when it's about to turn off (i.e. get ready to stop turning right), then when you can't turn right there is no arrow.
Do you think? I think it works well, it's not too difficult to understand.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:08 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Some strange laws:

Australia (NSW):
- A permit must be issued for all price draws and the permit number must be stated in advertisement.
For everyone not living here, this means that when you hear a radio commercial and you can win a voucher they need to say that this promotion is approved under NSW Permit Number LT125235, ACT Permit Number A234534 etc.
- in political radio advertisement you need to say who spoke the ad. Not just who authorized the ad, but who the actual speakers were ("Authorized by the Australian Government, Canberra, spoken by J Lenox, D Duck and M Goldstein").
- Voting is compulsory
- In order to gain access to a club as a non-member you need to be living more than 5km away

It may not be a law but it should be, not using "S" in words like authorised instead if the US version which has a "Z" (pronounced Zed here in Australia by the way ).

Actually voting in Australia is not compulsory, what is compulsory is that you get your name checked off the roll at every election, you don't actually have to vote. And as much as some people hate it it does have one benefit, you are assured of having proper voting facilities and not waiting hours to vote like we see in the US on voting day.

One of the strange ones we often hear of from the US is the requirement to leave your bags unlocked so that the TSA doesn't have to work too hard to steal things.

Gun laws in the US seem amazing, surely the rights of society are greater than the individual? Still I should stop here rather than condemn this thread to OMNI/PR.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:19 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by ajax
Seems that in the UK, it's actively encouraged!
Indeed it is, as, although the overriding principle is one of duty of care, pedestrians have right of way on all but 'designated roads' (mostly motorways).
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hvr
Actually voting in Australia is not compulsory, what is compulsory is that you get your name checked off the roll at every election, you don't actually have to vote.
Actually it is compulsory to vote not just get your name ticked off. If you get your name ticked off but don't put anything in the ballot box the AEC will send you a please explain in the post as to why you did not vote. You can vote informally of course that's not illegal.

Perhaps a better title for this thread would be exposing myths about Australian law!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by ajax
IMHO, the four-way stop sign is a perfect low-tech, space-saving solution to junctions in places where traffic lights are overkill.
Guernsey has the same concept although it is signed as filter in turn.
Driving in the UK on the other hand (what's with National Speed Limit not actually showing a number?! ) isn't exactly a walk in the park.
The national speed limit can be changed easily without changing the signs though - and differ anyway according to type of vehicle. Mind you, an AA survey claims half of British drivers do not properly know the national speed limit for different road types.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 3:28 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by jedikiah
Guernsey has the same concept although it is signed as filter in turn.
I don't really find either system any more or less complicated than the UK favourite of 'mini roundabouts'.

What I used to find really trying was the old French 'priorite a droite' when taken to its extreme. Yes, in unmarked city streets, it's a great principle. But when a farm track meets a Route Nationale that happens to be lacking its yellow diamonds... This seems to largely have disappeared now, though.

The other thing that used to confuse me was when I was staying in Brussels and working just over the state border in Flanders. Driving to work would take me in between Brussels and Flanders several times, through many, many roundabouts. The problem? Well, at the time, in Brussels, you gave priority to the right on roundabouts (traffic entering) and in Flanders, priority to the left (traffic already on). No end of confusion. Oh, and flashing headlights indicates "I'm going on", not "you go on", just to add to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.