Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is this picture real (duct tape on plane wing)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this picture real (duct tape on plane wing)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:44 am

Pitot tubes are covered for maintenance and re-painting. If they aren't uncovered (or blocked, iced over, etc) then the aircraft will lack airspeed, altitude, and vertical airspeed. At night this can often lead to crashes. Particularly if pilots and radar controllers lack the basic knowledge of how radar receives accurate altitudes.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Before folks get too worked up, I don’t think the tape is there to remedy a structural problem, but rather to keep moisture from impregnating the composite material due to a crack or scratch in the surface paint. It looks bad, but nothing to be concerned about.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
That photo is disturbing.

The only time I ever saw duct tape on an airplane was on my first and only flight with AA.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: BA
Don't get worried aout it. This is a standard supply item in the aircraft engineer's stores, called High-Speed Tape or Ripstop Tape. It is fully certified by the aviation authorities up to the airspeeds and temperatures it will encounter. There's some on the majority of aircraft, unless they are absolutely brand new.

Don't call it Duct Tape, it bears no relation apart from appearence. Significant price dfferential, and you need to be certified in its use to apply it. Some airlines have it coloured to match their liveries.

Pitot tubes are covered for maintenance and re-painting. If they aren't uncovered (or blocked, iced over, etc) then the aircraft will lack airspeed, altitude, and vertical airspeed.
Correct
At night this can often lead to crashes.
Nonsense. Cannot recall an incident arising from this. Engineers have a procedure when they block/unblock them for maintenance. Crew check them during their walkaround before each flight. Finally, every flight as you go down the runway there's an airspeed cross-check between the multiple instruments, if they differ then you pull up, go back to the gate, and get it fixed.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
Nonsense. Cannot recall an incident arising from this. Engineers have a procedure when they block/unblock them for maintenance. Crew check them during their walkaround before each flight. Finally, every flight as you go down the runway there's an airspeed cross-check between the multiple instruments, if they differ then you pull up, go back to the gate, and get it fixed.
A duct-tape related incident did happen in '96 in Peru. Please see my post of yesterday for more specifics.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Nonsense.
Tell that to the families of the 70 people who died.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WCT3U
I'd be worried. But I take comfort that this is on the "unusual accident" page.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/unusual.htm
sure looks like it was a blast flying in the 40's...

As a prank, a captain riding in the jump seat engaged the gust lock in flight. The command pilot, not knowing the gust lock had been engaged, rolled the elevator trim tab with no response. When the jump seat captain disengaged the gust lock, the aircraft went into into a steep dive, executed part of an outside roll and become inverted. Neither the command nor jump seat captain had seat belts on and they accidentally feathered No. 1, 2 and 4 engines when they hit the controls with their heads. No one realized it at the time but the feathering reduced power and allowed the co-pilot, who was strapped in, to pull out of the dive 350 feet from the ground.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
A colleague of mine hit a bird on take off leaving JFK last year and it broke a winglet off the plane.. Apparently it was hanging and flapping up and down before flying off lol. Plane returned no problem
Old Sep 7, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
That stuff is actually NOTHING like duct tape. I see the stuff close up all the time. It's actually a metalic stripping about half the gauge of an aluminum soda can with strong adhesive on one side. It's used for very minor temporary damage repairs. The stuff is actually very good. Don't sweat it if you see a piece of it on a plane you're flying, it's not "tape" like you think of it.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:20 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I have seen this stuff loads of times - including on propellors. Never given it a second thought.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 2:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
How much does it go for (3M link answered that question )? Since its 'better then duct tape' wonder if it would be good in a survival kit, or just lying around the house for misc repairs?

Otherwise, as safe as it sounds... I would prefer to not be on that A/C...
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: BA
I'd just like to advise that I have just signed out, and flown, an aircraft with four separate areas of application of Hi-Speed tape, notably on the wingtips.

And I'm here to write about it.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:46 pm

My home airport had a 747-400 visitor last week that eventually ferried out with the #1 reverser speed taped into position after the sleeve mechanism failed on touchdown. I tried to get a picture with my phone but it was too dark for the speed tape to show up clearly.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I'd just like to advise that I have just signed out, and flown, an aircraft with four separate areas of application of Hi-Speed tape, notably on the wingtips.

And I'm here to write about it.
Wingtips- are there issues with them getting damaged, or are they just the furthest out object on that side of the A/C?

I would rather see the hi speed tape on one of those, then holding a mechanical part... Or worse

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.