Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by GaryD
Am I allowed to post about my wife's dumb mistake?

Hearing no objection ...

Arriving in Frankfurt, my wife and her mother exited the aircraft via one aisle, and our two small children and I used the other aisle. I thought we got off first, so we waited at the gate for them to get off too.

No more pax, were they delayed on board? Went down the jetbridge to check, nope, they were off. How could we have missed them?

Headed down the terminal (at the time, still nonsegregated btw in and outbound). Heard my name on the intercom, and got an airport agent.

Long story short, she and her mom got off first, kept assuming we had gone on ahead, passed through immigration, then finally went to the airport agents. With our younger boy's passport!

He was about six. The nice agent had a little talk with him, to confirm his name etc., then delivered us through immigration with his passport.
I worry about this, so in my family, my wife and I split the kids up (I get the older one, my wife the younger one) and we carry their respective passports. My mother-in-law is on her own. Ironically, I find it harder to travel with my mother-in-law, since it's almost like traveling with another child. It's easier just to keep an eye on one kid.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by frankmu
I worry about this, so in my family, my wife and I split the kids up (I get the older one, my wife the younger one) and we carry their respective passports. My mother-in-law is on her own. Ironically, I find it harder to travel with my mother-in-law, since it's almost like traveling with another child. It's easier just to keep an eye on one kid.
^

Been there, done that.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by WChou
Here is one that I just remembered.

I have a clock radio that can wake the dead. One friend likened it to a WWII air raid siren. I usually set it to "radio" at a moderate volume but use the louder setting when I absolutely need to be awake. The day before an early morning flight, I set the alarm for 4AM. Around 3AM, i realized I couldn't sleep and decided to get up, grab a quick bite to eat then off to the airport.

Three days later, I get a call from the building manager. Seems I forgot to turn off the alarm. My next door neighbor was up in arms at being woken up at 4AM to what sounded like an imminent Luftwaffe raid. To top it off, I dead bolted my door and the manager did not have a key. I told him he could most likely get in from an adjoining balcony. He declined. Turns out the woman is generally a pain in the tuckus and he was more than happy wait for me to get home.
Let me add one from last week.

Was going to be one transcon short of requalifying for AA EXP so I setup a MR. Found a nice, cheap LAX run with a connection at DFW. I woke up early, zombied my way over to the airport, sleepwalked through security, and fumbled over to the lounge. I planned on napping during the first segment so I didn't drink any coffee during the wait. I made my way over to the gate approximately 15 minutes into boarding. I took a quick look at the FIDS, found the gate for the flight to LAX, wandered into line priority line, and got out my boarding pass. As I was about to hand my BP over to the gate agent, it hit me. I wasn't flying non-stop to LAX. I snapped a quick look at my BP and realized my correct flight to DFW was boarding two gates over. I let the gate agent know I was in the wrong line and did the walk of shame over to the correct gate. DOH!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:32 pm

It's not flying, but it is travel-related so all you complainers can suck it.

I was recently in Seattle to do some DVD commentary recording. I had dinner reservations that evening with a friend but I was tired and wanted to grab a nap, so I set the alarm clock on my iPad with a nice, rousing alarm sound...

...which was useless because I'd forgotten that I'd previously muted the speaker and hadn't switched it back on. Once I woke from my nap, I looked at the clock and realized I was probably in very deep trouble.

Fortunately my friend was VERY understanding about what had happened and we were able to grab a late dinner at the restaurant in question - which was a good thing, as she was paying.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Unhappy Not very funny, but definitely the dumbest of my life.

When I was a tour director way-back-when I was paid in cash at the end of every tour. I had a super-spiffy hiding place for the envelope of cash in my carry-on that I always used and packed it away the night before the flight. For my fly-back MAD-LIS, I was feeling really, really under the weather (turns out I have never been sicker than I was becoming then), to the point that the weight of my rolling carry-on hurt my arm and back so I made a last-minute decision to check it, absolutely forgetting about the money. Two bags with Priority tags later and I'm off to feel miserable in the lounge.

I didn't know what misery was until my Priority checked carry-on was the last bag out (by about 20 minutes) and, you guessed it, the envelope containing over $6,000 cash was gone. That's personal money, not company funds.

Blame it on being sick, blame it on being foggy from the fever and the meds...the reality is that I knew and have always known better than to check cash. EVER.

Last edited by zpaul; Dec 15, 2010 at 1:45 pm Reason: for clarity
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by zpaul
When I was a tour director way-back-when I was paid in cash at the end of every tour. I had a super-spiffy hiding place for the envelope of cash in my carry-on that I always used and packed it away the night before the flight. For my fly-back MAD-LIS, I was feeling really, really under the weather (turns out I have never been sicker than I was becoming then), to the point that the weight of my rolling carry-on hurt my arm and back so I made a last-minute decision to check it, absolutely forgetting about the money. Two bags with Priority tags later and I'm off to feel miserable in the lounge.

I didn't know what misery was until my Priority checked carry-on was the last bag out (by about 20 minutes) and, you guessed it, the envelope containing over $6,000 cash was gone. That's personal money, not company funds.

Blame it on being sick, blame it on being foggy from the fever and the meds...the reality is that I knew and have always known better than to check cash. EVER.

Ouch!!!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:30 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
My dumbest was just last month. Booked a cruise out of SAN, forgetting it was Thanksgiving week. (We Canadians do Thanksgiving in October, so it was all over.) Never saw such a load of riff raff on a cruise ship in my life.

Made the same dumb move for a trip to LAS about three years ago, so I should have known better.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
Crown Plaza vs. Congress Plaza

Not flying-related, but travel-related.

Flew to Chicago some years back with a colleague, who said he was staying downtown at the Crown Plaza. I said, so am I, let's share a cab. We get to the front desk and they claim not to have my reservation - and they are full. I get very annoyed and pull out my confirmation... at the Congress Plaza Hotel. Oops.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Bought a ticket for Nov. 24 to visit the family on Thanksgiving. Realized 10 minutes later that I wasn't getting back from a business trip until the morning of the 25th. Called AA customer service - "Sorry, it's already been ticketed, non-refundable!" Quickest $150 I ever lost, and I go to Vegas every year.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Dumb almost became dumber today.

Flew CLT-ORD in an aisle seat so I took my book and Bose headsets out of my bag then stashed it in the overhead bin. Upon arrival at ORD I decided to take the US Inflight Magazine with me too. Two items out of the bag, two items back in. I had walked about six rows forward when I heard "Excuse me sir?" and turned around to see another passenger noticed I left my Bose headsets on the seat. Thank God for a good samatian or I would have been out a $300 pair of headphones and a new Sansa MP3 player. I still feel stupid.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:38 am

Before I knew about SeatGuru, I was on a United flight and all the economy plus seats were taken, so I chose the middle seat next to the lavatory. No recline and just very awkward for the next 3,000 miles. I'll never do that again.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I've made a few bloopers in my day!

In Dec 2006, we went on a Christmas cruise around the South Pacific. I was trying to have all the batteries for the cameras and videocamera pre-charged before we went. Then I forgot to retrieve the chargers and batteries and pack them so we had only the spare batteries that were on the cameras and my Nokia camera phone for the whole cruise. I was frantically running around the ship trying to find someone else with a Kodak Easyshare camera who could recharge my battery with no luck.

In April 2008, we went to RAR for a couple weeks and rented a house in Raro. To free up room in my bag, I took out all the Aussie stuff-house keys, Aussie currency and some other stuff and left it in the top drawer of the nightstand. Of course when we get to the airport, I noticed it was missing and called the owner of the the house and told her she could keep the cash if she would rush the other stuff to the airport. She tried but was too late to meet the flight we were departing on. There was another NZ flight departing later but since it was an award ticket issued by UA, the local NZ crew wouldn't change it for us. We had an overnight layover in AKL and spent the entire time having the NZ ground crew liase wth the RAR NZ crew to get the packet with my stuff to the cabin crew of the other NZ flight and miraculously they got it to us in the transit lounge at AKL before our flight to BNE left so we didn't have to get a locksmith to break into our own home!

Just a couple months ago, we were on the last leg of a trip to Spain and returning home on SQ BCN-SIN-BNE. My husband was taking pics of the cabin crew with the little Sony pocket camera I had given him for his birthday. He somehow managed to lose the camera during the flight and no matter how hard we tried, we couldn't find it. We took the seats apart, the seat pockets, bothered the people around us in case the camera had slid a few rows over, got the crew to make announcements on the plane and even went threw the trashbags in case he left it on a meal tray that was picked up. No luck at all. Since we had a 9 hour layover, we made a report and asked if the cleaners found the camera to bring it to our connecting flight but it never showed up. It's still a mystery what happened to that camera, I can't imagine why anyone would steal it as it wasn't that expensive, about $150 and useless without the battery charger.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Finnair Plus, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
Do not pack at the last minute if you have been drinking!

Two years ago, I booked a last minute flight to EWR from YVR -- Air Canada had a promotion where it was $399 each way in Executive First, and I hadn't seen my cousin who lives in Brooklyn for years. Great plan.

Anyway, the night before I left, a friend up the street had just gotten back from France and brought some absinthe back. She invited me over for what turned into a good part of the bottle.

I stumbled home at the end of the night knowing that I wouldn't feel like packing in the morning, even though the flight wasn't until 4pm, so I decided to drunkenly pack my bags, and left them at the bottom of the stairs.

Anyway... slept great. Caught my flight. Flight was fine. Nothing spectacular.

Then I got to my cousin's place and went through my suitcase..

ALL I PACKED WAS T-SHIRTS.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: DL PM MM
dates confused

I booked 2 award tickets to Australia from LAX. I was so excited to get the award seats, I got the domestic date wrong and we arrived at our LAX - MEB departure gate one day early! Better than one day late, so we found an airport hotel and enjoyed the next day at Venice Beach before our correct late night departure.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sucheng
Not flying-related, but travel-related.

Flew to Chicago some years back with a colleague, who said he was staying downtown at the Crown Plaza. I said, so am I, let's share a cab. We get to the front desk and they claim not to have my reservation - and they are full. I get very annoyed and pull out my confirmation... at the Congress Plaza Hotel. Oops.
Heh, I got confounded by the W in New Orleans. Someone at the office had booked all the rooms (several people going to a tradeshow) and I didn't have an email, confirmation number, or anything like that; just someone came by saying "Hey I booked you in the W."

So I get on the taxi at the airport and tell them I'm going to the W.

Driver: "Which one, Poydras or French Quarter?"
Me: "Uh... what now?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.