Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How long should FAs and pilots chit-chat when people are waiting for the lav in F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long should FAs and pilots chit-chat when people are waiting for the lav in F?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Question How long should FAs and pilots chit-chat when people are waiting for the lav in F?

I've noticed this quite frequently on recent AA flights. The FAs block the passageway with the cart, the pilot pops out and chats with the FA, goes to the lav, pops out and chats some more. All the while, people are at the edge of their seats. Some go to the FA and ask and they either say that they will have to wait or that they will have to go to the back. This isn't just a minute or so.. it goes on and on.. laughing and grinning, shooting the breeze.

Saying hi is one thing.. but really, should this be break time while people are waiting?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
As long as it takes to touch the hot nuts with unclean hands

Cheers.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
Depends on how long the flight is. Just like regular jobs, if you work a longer shift you get a longer break. Anyway the pilots are in charge of your life so if they need to stretch their legs, I can't see a reason to complain.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Oh, come on. If you're that desperate, just walk to the aft lavs.

Plus, on most widebodies, they block only the forward-most lav, and the ones closer to 1L and/or 1R remain available while pilots are relieving themselves.

Pilots work long, hard hours, and I think they deserve a few minutes of socializing with their colleagues in the galley.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, the thing is, it's never been this bad before. Five flights on 757s and 737s in the past month and it's happened every single time.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36

Plus, on most widebodies, they block only the forward-most lav, and the ones closer to 1L and/or 1R remain available while pilots are relieving themselves.

Pilots work long, hard hours, and I think they deserve a few minutes of socializing with their colleagues in the galley.
On a 763, that's 2 lavs in the front that get blocked.
Also, if you are in the front, it is often difficult to see whether the rear lavs are available, and by the time you get back there, they might be occupied.
Additionally, AA has a habit of telling us we have to stay in our ticketed cabin.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:41 pm

8.6 minutes
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:05 am

15 minutes.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36

Agree that pilots work long, hard hours, but I side with the OP on this one. If the pilot is done using the lav, that should be it. Fare paying customers should be able to get at the lav and not agonize whilst the pilot sips coffee and yuks it up with the FA's. I see the same thing on UA and DL, both whom I fly a lot.

Given that the seatbelt sign can go on and off with unpredictability, and there can be bladder issues with some pax, is it not too a little much for the pilot to be out there for a 15 min hitch?

I believe in a few axioms on flying: FA's are primariy there for our safety; and pilots are best off on the flight deck as much as possible. All the veteran, high-time pilots I talk too tell me they park their butts on that seat and don't get up unless there is a very good reason.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FullFare
Agree that pilots work long, hard hours, but I side with the OP on this one. If the pilot is done using the lav, that should be it. Fare paying customers should be able to get at the lav and not agonize whilst the pilot sips coffee and yuks it up with the FA's. I see the same thing on UA and DL, both whom I fly a lot.
Thanks. But, this isn't just my imagination, though, is it? It is happening more frequently?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Thanks. But, this isn't just my imagination, though, is it? It is happening more frequently?
I think so. Happened a couple of times to me recently on an MD-80. One time I got sick of being uncomfortable, and walked to the back; 'would have been real annoyed if they'd given me any flack for using a lav in the wrong cabin.

They could make this better by announcing ahead of time: "hey, in fifteen minutes, we're going to block access to the front lav for 25-30 minutes, so the First Officer and the front FA's can get together gossip about other employees. So if you're in First, you may want to hit up the lav now before it becomes inaccessible to you".

Also, on an MD-80 there are only two pilots on board. I think they should both be in the cockpit as much as possible ('thinking about the recent Continental flight where the Captain tragically died). That's what they're paid for, right?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:34 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXP
dont drink that large soda before the flight!
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:58 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Off-topic posts have been deleted per the TOS. If you are not interested in a particular thread topic, then please don't waste your time and that of the moderators by posting.

Further, members perceiving a problem with a particular thread or type of thread might also reflect on whether bumping said thread(s) makes them part of the solution or part of the problem.

/Moderator
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:14 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by FullFare
........ I see the same thing on UA and DL, both whom I fly a lot..............
Seeing that this is not an airline specific topic we will be forwarding this to Travelbuzz for broader participation.

magic111
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:27 am
hvd

Programs: AA EXP, LX travelclub
I have seen this all too much on recent international travel and at times where pax can reasonably be seen as requiring lav access. There is little justification for blocking access to pax except for the brief times that crew is leaving or returning to cockpit. After all on international flights crew are in first class cabin sleeping, eating, etc. for virtually the whole flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.