Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How early do you get to the airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

How early do you get to the airport?

Our plane boards at 7:40, how early should we arrive at the airport? I have heard many different times!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:44 pm

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
depends on several factors:

OLCI or airport checkin
all carry on or checking bags
do you have access to elite lanes (security and checkin, if applicable)
solo or with kids
international or domestic
how busy is your airport
are you traveling at peak time or off hours

the most optimistic of the above (except for flying at peak time) I typically enter the airport 45-60 min prior to departure and nearly always make it to the gate a few minutes prior to boarding.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL FO, US Silver, MR Plat, HH Silver
It really depends on the airport, if your checking bags, time of day/week etc.

At my little airport. I get there about 45 minutes before my flight as it rarely takes more than 10 minutes to get through security.

Bigger or unfamiliar airports I try for an hour. I usually add atleast fifteen minutes if checking bags.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
How risk averse are you?
How soon does you traveling companion want to arrive (if early, then the correct answer is cutting it a bit too tight; if s/he wants to arrive minutes before departure, then the answer is at least 2.5 hours ahead of time)?
Do you have lounge access and does the lounge serve free alcoholic beverages?
Do you like to wander around airport shops?
Are you a smoker?
Do you like airport food? (no one in his/her right mind likes airport food--bad question)
Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
What airport? Where are you going? Domestic flight or international? baggage or no baggage? Did you check in from home, or do you need to stand in line at the airport? Do you have elite status (can you use an elite check-in line and/or an elite security lane?) We need more details. Generally, if you check the web site of the airline you're on, they will provide the information you're looking for. It's not just arrival at the airport you need to be concerned about, it's how long it takes you to 1) check in and then 2) get to your gate.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
You need to give us more info as others said. It all depends on your airport and situation. However, I usually target an hour if not checking in.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

San Antonio Texas to New York

This is the first flight I have ever flown "alone" going with my college aged child. Child wants to leave our home at 7! We will be checking in and carrying on. I printed our boarding pass - This is very nerve racking for me.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:02 pm

Will you be saying grace before your pre-airport meal? (Sorry, couldn't resist, my grandma was once plotting to the T when to go to the airport for my flight home, and my humorous grandpa says "now, will we say grace at the meal? If so we have to factor that in!"
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
What airline are you taking? Usually airlines have recommended check-in times. If you feel nerve-wracked, I would give yourself more time.

I'd say get to the airport about 1.5 ahead of time. Shoot for arriving at 6AM. Yes, it's early....
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

I have been saying grace since I knew about this trip in 2008! 6 am sounds great to me but no one is listening! I think the plan is to leave the house at 6:20 and head to the airport which is about 5 minutes from our home!

To say I am nervous about everything is an understatement!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Continental
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
If you live 5 minutes away from the airport, I'd say leaving home at about 6:30 a.m. is fine if you're parking at the airport; 6:45 a.m. if you're getting dropped off. That way, you'd be in line at security at 6:50 a.m., which gives you a lot of time to relax post-security and not have to deal with any anxiety about getting on the plane.

I'd say leaving home at 7:00 would work if necessary, but for a first-time traveller who probably isn't too aware of what it's like going through TSA, that extra time doesn't hurt.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:35 pm

Ok, let me get the facts straight. You are flying SA to NY on Continental in the morning with a college age child. You will have check-in luggage and carry-on luggage. Your boarding passes are already printed. I just suppose you will be flying coach and have no elite status.

What's your ticketed departure time?

They say that usually the arrival at the airport should be at least one hour before DEPARTURE time, not boarding time. So if your flight is scheduled to take off (wheels off the ground) at 8:10 or 8:20am, then the boarding time would be probably around 7:40. The deadline for checked bags is around 30-40 minutes before DEPARTURE time.

Basically, if you step through the doors of the airport at 7:00am on the spot with your luggage in hand, you will have no problems whatsoever even if there is a crowd. I've flown from SA. It seems to be small and well working airport.

So you don't leave the home at 7am. You leave home at 6:40. This means you turn the ignition in the car at 6:40. Many people have a very different notion of what it means to leave home, that's why I specify so exactly.

This gives you sufficient time to find a parking spot and haul around your luggage. There is also a little safety margin for traffic in there but not a big one.

If you haven't already, read this thread and apply the tips you find there. You will be super well prepared and thus not nervous.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...etiquette.html
Pay special attention to tips #4 and #5.

Arriving at 6am, would mean a good two hours before departure. This is the super safe all eventualities counted in method. Basically, you can have a heart attack and die and still catch your plane with that kind of margin.

Enjoy the flight!

Till
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Board 7:40 departure 8:15 - Tfar you are good ~ I love reading your posts! I read the link you suggested but am going back to reread.

We will be in the car at 6:20, to say the child is spoiled at 18 is an understatement, that is probably part of my nerve situation.

We are being dropped off, the whole airport process makes me nervous. Thanks all for the input, I truly appreciate it.

If you all can think of anything else for a first time traveler (per se) please share!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Put valuables and metal objects like watches, belts, coins and jewelry into the closed pocket of a coat or in the closed briefcase BEFORE you even stand in the security line. This will make things almost hassle-free and quicker for you. It also makes it harder for anyone to steal those items.

5. Your shoes go first through the X-ray machine. Your most valuable item goes last. This way your most valuable item is BEHIND you in line. You can always keep an eye on it and there is little chance that it will “overtake” you and fly off to God knows where. Only push your most valuable item in right before you need to go through the metal detector.

Got it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.