Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 pax / 3 seat strategy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Plat
Thanks to all for the pros and cons of this strategy.

How exactly do you (Mr. H) not tolerate two pax talking across you, other than request that one of the two offenders switch seats with you? Do you stay put and simply make louder noises, so that the two offenders can not hear each other?
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I would ask them not to talk across me because it is rude. If they choose not to do this, then I would ask the FA to intercede. At the end of the day, the window and aisle pax chose their seats and they need to accept the limitations that come with that choice.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by Mr H
I would ask them not to talk across me because it is rude. If they choose not to do this, then I would ask the FA to intercede. At the end of the day, the window and aisle pax chose their seats and they need to accept the limitations that come with that choice.
Can the flight attendant prevent them from speaking to one another? What if they keep talking? I'll bet they would end up talking about how some people are complete morons who are inflexible and humorless.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Even so, a certain amount of banter between seats A and C is not against the rules.

I must say I find your attitude odd. Two people decide that they want to book so that if an empty seat is available, they will have one beside them. If not, they will graciously allow the person assigned to the middle seat to have the window or aisle. I just don't see how you can take exception to that.

FWIW, when traveling with my business partner, we always book two aisle seats across from each other. We really don't yak-yak-yak a lot in flight, but when we do we like to be a foot apart when talking.

On those occassions when I do book A-C, if you think you would be "punishing" me by keeping the middle seat, you are sorely mistaken. The offer to swap is done out of courtesy, and if you choose to keep the dreaded middle seat to spite me, then spite on brother, spite on! I'd much rather you keep the uncomfortable seat while my traveling companion and I keep the window and aisle and ride in comfort. We'll keep our conversation to a minimum out of courtesy to you, Mr. Middle-seat-sandwich.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DuckSoupforMe
Can the flight attendant prevent them from speaking to one another? What if they keep talking? I'll bet they would end up talking about how some people are complete morons who are inflexible and humorless.
I suspect most FA's would laugh at this request. The role of FA's is not to prevent rudeness.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Rebelyell
I'd much rather you keep the uncomfortable seat while my traveling companion and I keep the window and aisle and ride in comfort.
And I would happily be able to read in silence rather than sit next to a conversation.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Why dont you pre-announce all your upcoming flights on FT..

And I would happily be able to read in silence rather than sit next to a conversation.
...so we all can avoid booking on the same flight. Any effort to keep me and my wife from conversing would result in a little meeting once we deplaned.
It would go very badly for you. Its this kind of self righteous attitude that makes flying even less tolerable than it already is.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by HomerJ
...so we all can avoid booking on the same flight. Any effort to keep me and my wife from conversing would result in a little meeting once we deplaned.
It would go very badly for you. Its this kind of self righteous attitude that makes flying even less tolerable than it already is.
So basically you are threatening me with violence because I might thwart your plans to bag three seats for the price of two. If you want to sit next to someone, why not book adjacent seats?
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We book A and C towards the rear of E+. We can't do the exit row because the Mrs. is a 3P. (I suppose we could book as a single PNR and take exit aisle-middle...I haven't tried it.)

I don't regard this as selfish in the slightest. For one, we're booking seats within the rules of our individual statuses. It's not like I'm calling UA and trying to sweet-talk an agent into putting a nonelite in an aisle E+ seat and hoping to avoid a system sweep. 2nd, if the middle ends up being occupied, we offer the window to that person as a courtesy to them.

Mr H, you have some seriously twisted logic going on there...

If the middle seater said "No, I really enjoy booking middle seats because the window scares me and I don't like getting bumped by the drink cart", then we'd shrug and stay put without issue. We usually aren't that talkative inflight so it probably would not be an issue. We'd probably have a good laugh about it afterwards though...
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Have you ever ridden on an airplane before? Most people don't do that much talking! I certainly don't, and what little I'm going to say I'm going to say whether you are sitting in the middle or not. So enjoy your seat, Mr. Sandwich.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Personally, I would not move if I had the middle seat between a couple. Nor would I tolerate talking across me. IMO, people should book the seats they want to sit in - if they are greedy and try to get more than they are entitled to then I will try to make sure they get less than they might have had.
I also like to give back my EAUs since I didn't actually pay for first class... just doesn't seem right to me to sit there when that's not what I actually booked and paid for
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by NightTripper
For those that ride in the back......

Is the preferred FT strategy to select the aisle and window in E+ on a 752 for Mrs. NT and myself, with the hope that nobody will select the middle seat?

every. single. time.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:55 am

I presume that the people who seem to be reacting with most vitriol to the idea that I would decline to move seats would be the same people who would defend their own right to decline seat swaps with the most vigour.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: AAD, Mucci - Gardienne de la Porte, lifetime member of Red Sox Nation
Personally, I would not move if I had the middle seat between a couple. Nor would I tolerate talking across me. IMO, people should book the seats they want to sit in - if they are greedy and try to get more than they are entitled to then I will try to make sure they get less than they might have had.
Wasn't I married to you once - before the divorce - and before I boarded the Mayflower to come to the new land?
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
what an odd comment

Of course you would not move if you had the middle seat between a couple. That's because there's no way in creation that we're swapping an aisle or window seat with a middle. It always makes me shake my head when my traveling companion has his window, and I have my aisle, and some third party in the middle thinks one of us is going to swap seats? Sorry, you're in a middle seat, dude. Nobody in their right mind is going to swap with you. Well, maybe if you offered me cash. Depends on how long the flight how much cash. But most of these guys never want to give you anything of value in return for your aisle seat. They just want to make a pushy request and assume that the little blonde lady is going to roll over. Sorry. No. I'm not your mommy. You planned badly and ended up in the middle, and it's just not my problem. It's your problem. Deal. Your "reverse psycho-out" play is not gonna work either. The middle seat is yours, all yours! Enjoy!

"Nor would I tolerate talking across me." That's just odd. You can't stop people from talking in a public place. You could complain if they were swearing, I guess. Otherwise, it's up to them whether or not they're going to talk. Are you by some chance a kindergarten teacher?

The flight attendant is not going to tell people they can't talk, you know. You would have to lie and claim that they were using bad language or something, and you might get caught in the lie, since planes are sardine cans and there will be other people around who might speak up for the couple. I will borrow your kindergarten teacher hat for a moment and ask you to consider this: Do you really want a note in your permanent record that you might have a screw loose?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.