Reload this Page >

Tip for driver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tip for driver?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by 4444
how about you toss your tightwad beliefs aside and make someones day. too much to ask?
This is what makes me uncomfortable. It smacks of tossing a shiny coin to the beaming black boy.

The assumption that service users are wealthy, who won't miss small change; and the assumption that people who work in service jobs are going to be eternally grateful for your crumbs is so offensive.

Tipping has, for most people, moved on to becoming a hidden part of the assumed price of the service - hence discussions about appropriate levels for particular services (and the fact these discussions take place ahead of the transaction shows that tips are not a reward for a job well done, they are just part of the price).

But comments like 4444's are deeply anachronistic and deeply patronizing. The US moved on from that way of thinking many years ago.
Old May 11, 2009, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mr H
This is what makes me uncomfortable. It smacks of tossing a shiny coin to the beaming black boy.

The assumption that service users are wealthy, who won't miss small change; and the assumption that people who work in service jobs are going to be eternally grateful for your crumbs is so offensive.

Tipping has, for most people, moved on to becoming a hidden part of the assumed price of the service - hence discussions about appropriate levels for particular services (and the fact these discussions take place ahead of the transaction shows that tips are not a reward for a job well done, they are just part of the price).

But comments like 4444's are deeply anachronistic and deeply patronizing. The US moved on from that way of thinking many years ago.
maybe we should move back to that way of thinking. i wont respond to the racial remark. that was a stupid thing to say. crumbs? offensive? 3 guys just spent a week redoing my deck. i bought them lunch everyday and, when the job was done, i gave them a hundred bucks apiece extra. how in the world is that offensive? they seemed pretty happy. they did nice work. they charged a fair price and i threw them a little extra because i appreciated the work. didnt patronize anybody....
Old May 20, 2009, 6:33 am
Suspended

why would you want to tip someone who is already charging you a lot of money to do a job they are making a huge profit on ? this obsession with tipping is truly offensive
Old May 20, 2009, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

maybe we should move back to that way of thinking. i wont respond to the racial remark. that was a stupid thing to say. crumbs? offensive? 3 guys just spent a week redoing my deck. i bought them lunch everyday and, when the job was done, i gave them a hundred bucks apiece extra. how in the world is that offensive? [b]they seemed pretty happy.]/b] they did nice work. they charged a fair price and i threw them a little extra because i appreciated the work. didnt patronize anybody....
They worked up a fair price, did the intended job, you even bought them lunch each day and you think you gotta tip too? What am I missing? Do you tip the car salesman, airline pilot and your doc?

MisterNice
Old May 20, 2009, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by MisterNice
They worked up a fair price, did the intended job, you even bought them lunch each day and you think you gotta tip too? What am I missing? Do you tip the car salesman, airline pilot and your doc?

MisterNice
Couldn't agree more. Maybe a $20 per head if they really did a nice job but $100 is conspicuous waste.

Till
Old May 20, 2009, 6:47 pm

MisterNice
they dont own the company. they work for salary. why not throw them a few bucks for a job well done? some of you corporate guys must get a bottle of champagne or wine once in a while. what the hell is the difference if i give some hard workers a few extra bucks? especially since i wont miss it? you guys never get a good will gesture?
Old May 20, 2009, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
Couldn't agree more. Maybe a $20 per head if they really did a nice job but $100 is conspicuous waste.

Till
a waste? lol. what if that hundred bucks made their week ? what if it helped them pay a bill? dont see the logic behind not being nice. im sure you guys are the ones who go to church every week and preach helping your fellow man but buy the latest flatscreen to keep up with your buddies instead.
Old May 20, 2009, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by bizclassboy
why would you want to tip someone who is already charging you a lot of money to do a job they are making a huge profit on ? this obsession with tipping is truly offensive
cheap people in bizcalss are offensive. especially when someone else is footing the bill...
Old May 21, 2009, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they dont own the company. they work for salary. why not throw them a few bucks for a job well done? some of you corporate guys must get a bottle of champagne or wine once in a while. what the hell is the difference if i give some hard workers a few extra bucks? especially since i wont miss it? you guys never get a good will gesture?
Ok......make me happy as I work hard and havent gotten a bottle of free champagne in years. Email a couple of 100's to [email protected] .

Oh yes.............gwad bless.

MisterNice
Old May 21, 2009, 3:19 pm

Ok......make me happy as I work hard and havent gotten a bottle of free champagne in years. Email a couple of 100's to [email protected] .

Oh yes.............gwad bless.

MisterNice
lol. if i knew what field you where in, and you provided a service for me, you would be compensated very well....
Old May 21, 2009, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like all he'd have to do is have a heartbeat and not spit in your soup for you to nicely reward him....
Old May 23, 2009, 10:58 am

I always try to tip very carefully and in accordance with the service I received.

Speaking about restaurants, in México most of the staff receives a low salary because owners give the tips to them, making it a decent salary (or so they say).

That assumption doesn't make me tip just because I have to. If the guys didn't do a good job, no tip. If they did a superb job, I tip between 15-20%.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Ginger K
My friends are sending their car service (hired, not employee), to pick me up at LGA to take me to their home in CT. It will be about an hour's trip. What's the appropriate tip? I'm thinking $20, is that enough?
18 - 20% is standard
Old Jul 2, 2009, 6:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Ahhh tipping. The most offensive part of the tipping discussion is the part where people believe that their way is the absolute right way and all others are wrong. Don't tip. Do tip. Tip a lot. Tip a little. Make up for low wages. Force them to live on low wages.

Here's my take on tipping: I do whatever feels right at the time.

I've tipped appliance delivery crews $20 each for a TV that they unboxed and left on the floor because they did so very gently. I've tipped $0 to the same guys when they scratched my floor ever so little when delivering and installing a refrigerator. Regardless, they always get offered a soda or bottled water or something like that.

I tipped some movers around $60 each for a half day of work moving about 8 pieces of furniture because they did a good job of putting down pads and not denting anything. I was going to tip $20 each, but they did a better than expected job on a very hot day.

At a restaurant in Italy, I may not tip at all if the service is only passable, or I may tip 10% if it is great or if we put them through a lot of hoops.

In London, a pint likely won't get a tip or a 'one for you' unless there is some friendly banter.

In Italy, I've tipped between 0 and 20 euro on a 60 euro hired car fare all dependent on how friendly, helpful, prompt and efficient the car service is.

Here in the states, I tend to go with 15% unless the service sucks. I'll go as high as 20% if it is a place I frequent and they know me, and treat me as such. I have adjusted the tip downward when the tab includes wine or expensive cocktails.

Aside from meals in the US, I tend to view the cost of the service to be the price, and any tip to be reflective of doing a better than expected job for me.

So tip however you'd like.

To the OP, I'd say the $20 is appropriate. It's a long drive and they may not be able to get return fare...sounds reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.