Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had to sleep at the airport?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Ever had to sleep at the airport?

I slept at the MIA airport because I didn't want to pay for a hotel room for just 6 hours (I was on the first flight of the morning)
I didn't sleep airside, didn't sleep landside, I slept outside the airport on a flat bench. Keep in mind the climate of MIA and the fact that the AC inside was cold.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:43 pm
In memoriam

I sacked out at JFK one night many years ago coming back from London on a delayed flight. Fortunately, I had my sleeping bag and foam pad in my backpack. Of course, that was long before 9/11 or any security checkpoints at airports.

I also recently got a couple of hours on the carpet behind some benches in the NW terminal at Detroit coming in at 4am for a connection to Indiana at 7am. They have nice, new carpet at NW in Detroit. But, I missed my foam pad. And, at around 5:30am when the donut shop started to open, I was cruelly awakened by the noise of the shutter going up. By the way, my carry-on made an okay pillow.

Subways may be for sleeping, but, airports are not.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:18 am

Programs: DL,EK
I have slept at SFO, ORD, SIN and almost at JFK, but back then I had access to employee travel benefits and opted to fly JFK-NRT-SFO instead of staying yet another day/night in JFK after 3 nights in a hotel trying to get out west.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 5:53 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I slept at the Glasgow airport once to catch an 0645 flight. Of course, it was the night during which they were checking the fire alarm system, so every thirty seconds for an hour and a half, the fire alarm would go off.

I also slept on a bus one time because UA cancelled my LHR-JFK, pushed all passengers onto LHR-IAD, and lied to us after having arrived at 11:30 at night that there were no available IAD-NYC flights the next day and our best bet was to take the overnight greyhound to NYC. But I digress...
Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:20 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I slept a couple of times at SIN SilverKris lounge slumberette aka hotel SKL.
Does that count?
Old Apr 25, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Several weeks ago, I spent the night at FCO. We had been in Florence and caught the last train back to Roma Termini, and then the last Leonardo Express back to the airport. By the time we got to the airport, it was around midnight, and we had a 6 am flight out.

Amazing the number of people who had the same idea. There were lots of rows of seats without armrests, but they were all taken. We ended up with seats that had armrests, so we just sat back with our feet propped on our luggage. Uggh....
Old Apr 25, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Check out http://www.sleepinginairports.net/ for the best places to catch some sleep.

Love this thread! (might help me if I can't find a supercheap place for London in July....)
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:26 am

Twice (so far...),

Singapore, arrived from Brisbane at 03AMish, was all easy there as you probably know. Nice lounge chairs including Champions League on the TV.

Dubai; where everybody is spending the night one might think. Slept in T3 as I had booked me a cheaper connection with the negative side of having to stay there from midnight to 9AM. They installed lots of "sleeper seats" where you can rest for a few hours, you have to search for them tough, there popular... Sleeping itself is a different thing. The announcements drive you mad. I still know them by heart, in arabic obviously...

I passed T1 that morning, the foreign workers still build tents and whole camps behind the seats. I dont know why, arent they leaving from Dubai itself mostly?
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Princess1
Check out http://www.sleepinginairports.net/ for the best places to catch some sleep.
Great link!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Dubai - terminal one had 8 hours layover 6pm-2am, went to the city, but was tired and came back to sleep upstairs of T1
Fort Lauderdale - flight was delayed from ATL, arrived 3am, I had a hotel, I cancelled it while still in ATL since my onward flight to MHH was at 9am, so just slept outside of checkin on a bench
Gatwick - arrived at 4am on Thomas Cook from Toronto, managed to get a couple hours sleep before the airport got busy, and caught a 9am connection
Amsterdam - had a nap in the recliners upstairs a couple times

Have another DXB connection in July 4am-11am, good to see sleeper beds are still around.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: Volaris, UA Nothing
at AMS but they have very nice sleepers on the 2nd level...
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Have another DXB connection in July 4am-11am, good to see sleeper beds are still around.
FYI

4am - 5am was the calmest time when i was there last time. By 6 the morning arrival wave is in action. The terminal hotel has a gym and showers that costs about 10usd. Its two levels above departures i think.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:35 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Previous discussions, fyi:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...light=sleeping

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...uot%3Bairports
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
On my first out of town project, 17 years ago, I was in Santa Fe and my wife was flying to meet me at ABQ. I drove for what must have taken 2 hours, only car on the road, through a blizzard, to get there. The airport was deserted and I had to hunt for 30 minutes to find someone to confirm that all flights had been cancelled.

At that point I didn't have many option so I slept overnight on a bench.

I've grabbed a few hours of sleep in Paris between flights, and I slept in the Sofitel inside the Nice (?) airport.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: FOTSG
I stayed overnight at SFO, by choice. I was working for QX at the time and travelling Non-Rev. Arrived on the last inbound of the night, the outbound flight was at 0700 the next morning. I wandered around for a few hours until I found a decent spot outside the Airport Employment Office. It was a little bright (and the announcements were loud as *@$%), but I was fairly comfortable, under the circumstances. The thing that saved me was a tip I read... I brought an empty pillow case with me, stuffed it with spare clothes and used it as a pillow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.