Old Apr 23, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
This thread gets moved to OMNI in...

:
:
:
:
That would be quite a shame for a travel topic that was worth discussing.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
This thread gets moved to OMNI in...

:
:
:
:
Far too sensible a thread to end up there for goodness sake.

Let us not forget that the air travel boom in places like Asia has just started. Far from it going into a decline I can only see it getting stronger........more people can afford to do it and I can't see that changing.
Personally I have lost a lot of the desire I once had for air travel due to the hassle factor. I want to go back to using rail, road and ferry transport which is a far more relaxing way to travel.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Far too sensible a thread to end up there for goodness sake.
Personally I have lost a lot of the desire I once had for air travel due to the hassle factor. I want to go back to using rail, road and ferry transport which is a far more relaxing way to travel.
You're not alone. My dad, a WWII P51, P47 fighter pilot, refuses to fly any more. He feels deeply offended by the hassle.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Originally Posted by RustyC
There's an interesting book out called "The Four Hour Work Week" by Tim Ferriss where he points out that no roads in conventional workplaces lead to more leisure time. He recommends arguing for a telecommuting job to get out of the office and not to have to look busy to try to recapture some of the time. He also recommends outsourcing a lot of day-to-day duties on an individual level while trying for an ultimate goal of a side business not aimed at maximizing money so much as taking up as little time as possible.
Dang, Rusty, you read more than I do. Found Ferriss' book intriguing (although too many shortcuts and loopholes in his modus operandi to fit my biz). Love his mini-retirement idea, though, and am trying to incorportate that. He is an influence that led me back to FT actually. As a person with zero paid vacation, I've decided that if I don't have time to travel the way I'd like to, I'll just travel the way I can. Shoot, lots of you do RTWs in two weeks. Doesn't seem at all odd anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.