Wiki Posts
Search

First ever missed flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2009, 5:04 am

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by nickyboy
Only missed one originating flight:

Last year I was booked on Zhangjiajie (a very small city in China) to Shenzhen (a much bigger one). There is only one flight per day, about 6.30am. So I set my phone to wake me up. Unfortunately it was a Saturday and I forgot to set the alarm to "include weekends"....woke up at 5.50am,
Last week almost missed a flight due to using phone alarm and the phone crashing overnight. Lucky my colleague woke up and called me.

One time I did miss a flight with a broken cell phone alarm was BCN-FRA, connecting onward. Managed to get on a later flight and connection. The phone was flashing "alarm" on the screen but no alarm to be heard.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: AA, AGR, Choice Gold, CitiPrestige, TYP
So far, I've missed only one flight through the fault of my own. MAD to JFK, I took my sweet time getting to the airport and stood in the huge check-in line. By the time it was my turn, the flight had closed. Iberia had overbooked all their flights, so many of us were stuck for a few days. Had I checked in a few minutes earlier, they would have put me up in a hotel and offered compensation money. Lesson learned.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 4:18 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I was in San Francisco a year ago this week, and the BART was experiencing severe delays –.I waited 20 minutes for a train at my origin, and then had to get off the train at I think San Bruno and wait another 20-30 minutes to get the rest of the way. I hadn't printed out my boarding pass at the hotel, and I was past the kiosk cutoff time. I was MVP on AS, but I didn't make it to the counter in time to convince them to give me a BP. I lost an upgrade SFO-SEA and had to get on the next flight two hours later.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: United 2P, HHonors Gold, SPG Platinum, Priority Club Gold
I missed a flight last year from ORD-MSP because the power went out in my condo and my alarm clock didn't go off. I woke up 45 minutes before the flight was supposed to leave, threw my things together hopped in a cab (from downtown Chicago) and got to the gate 7 minutes before takeoff. Doh!
Old Apr 18, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: UA, DL, OZ, HH/S, MR, PC, SPG, A-Club
almost 3x so far

back in 2000, I was coming back from SJC on AS on F, didn't realize how bad rush hour is on the 101 and shopping until T-40. Took 40 minutes to go from Milpitas to SJC, returned the car and make thru security running all the way to the gate Got to the gate just at the last call before the AS flight leaves (before the T-10 closing business now...)

in 2006, naive not to show up earlier (showed at airport about T-65 on a red eye) for AS flight to SEA on business. Problem is AS checkin queue is full of people, their entire area occupied with early travelers....luckily my collegues were at the front of the line and I got to join them. Even stranger, my boss also was there to travel with his family to LGA.

late 2008, naive enough to waste time in restaurant in HKG before security...wittle down to 45 minutes before going thru departure hall...have to haul my behind all the way to the gate (especially with their 'subways' connecting their terminals now...made it to the gate before last call for UA flight.

Lessons learned: get to the airport at least 2 (if not 3 hours) early and get to the gate as early as possible because you don't know if stuff happens...
Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by rlawson
have you ever missed a flight because you were drinking too much at the airport bar or lounge?
Guilty as charged.

Was meant to take an evening flight with AirFrance from GVA to CDG. Arrived a few hours early to the airport and decided to kick back a few Guinness at a Bar in the airport complex. With about 45 minutes left for my flight to leave, I go to the wing where EasyJet usually flies from (and AirFrance in this case too) and my god was there an enormous queue.

Missed my flight, but I guess giving the puppy eyes to the check-in staff worked as they got me on the following flight just 1 hour later! (and I believe it was the last one too plus completely full).

Not only that, but got upgraded from Economy to Business! Brilliant job AirFrance ^

I'm really lucky I got that flight, the following day was to be my final business trip for my previous company as I was leaving a few weeks later and this was to be my opportunity to say goodbyes and all that. Plus my girlfriend was taking the train to Paris and had I not been there to check us in to the hotel, she might have been pretty peeved off.

I learned my lesson to be veeeery careful next time
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:40 am

I purposely missed a flight recently. I was coming back from DUB, with a convoluted routing of ORD-MSP-STL-DCA to take advantage of AA's double elite miles bonus. The DUB-ORD flight pulled back from the gate on time, then turned around due to a baggage issue (an incorrect bag was taken from the flight during the loading process). Then a passenger started feeling sick...and of course his heart medication was in a checked bag. We eventually departed about an hour and a half late and never made the time up in flight. I originally had a 2:10 hour layover, now whittled down to a half hour connection time.

I breezed through immigration and made it to Terminal 3 in about 10 minutes. Then I got a call that the MSP-STL flight was delayed, giving me only 10 minutes connecting time in STL. Since I would most likely miss the last STL-DCA flight for the day, I decided to just make it a direct flight to DCA. But to prove something to myself, I wanted to see if I would have made the MSP flight. I got there a few minutes before the flight closed, but turned around and went to the Admiral's Club to get that direct flight to DCA. Later, I checked that the MSP-STL flight arrived about half an hour after that final STL-DCA flight left. I'm glad to have avoided an overnight in STL.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles
I missed one flight I didn't deserve to, and didn't miss one that I totally deserved to.

The one I did miss: Bought my ticket from USAirways' web site, way back in the day (years ago), and unbeknownst to me there was a glitch that saved it only as a reservation - this despite my having (thought that I) paid for it! Got to the gate in time, only to be told that I needed to buy a ticket and would now have to pay the full walkup fare. DOH! Got on the phone with USAirways customer service ... eventually the agent realized that I had in fact bought the ticket, charged my card the correct price, and put me on the next flight - since I had the singular experience of watching my own plane pull up, load, and take off without me.

And the one I didn't miss: I was scheduled to fly home from IAH (near where I lived at the time) to PIT after my last final exam was over. I'd calculated it so that I'd have just about the right amount of time, no problem... well, that was all well and good until they couldn't find the exam booklets! My time cushion evaporated before my eyes as they s-l-o-w-l-y located new exam books and handed them out. I got to the airport something like 3 minutes before an on-time departure - and this shortly after 9/11, when it was supposed to be 3 hours! God has a sense of humor, I guess ^ because I did get on the flight. Suffice it to say I didn't have to wait very long for takeoff!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:50 am

On time at airport

I have been traveling back and forth from US to South American once a month for some years now.

I find that when I schedule flights an hour to two hours between flights works well. About 50 % of the flights I take now are late. Have missed several flights due to planes being late.

I try to be at the airport at least 1 1/2 hours before flight leaves. In Peru I want at least 2 hours to go throught security and immigration.

This means I spend extra time at the airport but make my flights.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
I think my first missed flight was about 3 years ago on AA. I was ticketed HNL-SFO-JFK. There were flights at adjacent gates in HNL, and I misread the departures board and sat in the area for HNL-LAX by mistake. Whoops.

I never heard them paging me, but when I noticed the aircraft at the next gate pulling away (while wondering why "mine" wasn't boarding) and went to the counter, the staff were very helpful... they put me standby on SFO-LAX; I couldn't get on the first LAX-JFK after I arrived, but did get on the last one of the night, and got into JFK only 45 minutes behind schedule. Not a bad delay for missing a flight 5,000 miles from my destination.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:06 pm

Familial Habits

Well, it must run in my family. My father once gave the keys to his rent car to the agent at the bag check because he was running so late. (Car got returned). My mother had to have them drive her on to the runway in Paris in the 60's.

Of course I have missed flights - It is a badge of honor, but the one I have to share was when I was applying to medical schools, and I was flying Braniff home from DFW to IAD. My mother was taking me to the plane, lost track of time, and was really late. She got nailed doing 70 at DFW. The cop took pity, and was quick about the ticket. I got to the gate - late, but barged onto what I knew was an overbooked flight, bags in arms and all. Not a seat to be had. The Gate Agent was trying to ensure the flight was settle, and I gave him a pathetic look of "no seat?!". He replied the flight was overbooked, to which I replied "Does this mean I get bumped and a free round trip?" He confirmed it did - in the middle of the jet. I happily walked off, to catch a direct AA flight to the same destination 45 minutes later (arriving before the Braniff flight which had 1-stop). I got off and in line for my rebook and voucher and the other agent said, "He does not get a voucher, he was late." The original agent replied, "I told him he does" and stood by his word.

Boy to I miss Braniff. The year was 1987. I I think I flew round trip WAS to DFW 5 times that fall on two tickets. The Sunday flights on Braniff 1-stop ($200) were always overbooked and you could get bumped on to the non-stop AA ($600).
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: SK EBD, Starwood/Marriott/RC, Hertz, Avis, AmXP, DC, etc.
I'd have to say, with all the frequent travellers here, I'm astonished there're not more missed flights!

As a consultant, I travelled round trip at least once a week for many years. Plus a lot of personal / vacation travel. So I've missed my fair share of originating and connecting flights -- because I HATE airports, so try to travel using the "just-in-time" approach, which doesn't always work.

Some of my more memorable stories:

- In the early days of the Internet and having a laptop, I frequently stayed up far too late...and often overslept the next morning, including the time I was meant to fly ORD-LAX for a friend's wedding shower and just never heard the alarm. Got on the next flight fortunately, and made my one-and-only in-flight call to my friend who was picking me up to advise that I'd be late -- fortunately, was still in time for the luncheon!

- can't remember the details on this one (think it was EWR and I am sure I was in F), just remember the jetway was still out but the door was closed...and I stood and waved at the pilot...who had the door opened again for me.

- Left a party in New Jersey and couldn't find the darn Turnpike...finally did, but in the wrong direction...and got to EWR about an hour after my flight left. Fortunately, I was Gold at the time (probably CO...or was this in the TWA days?), and the agents all knew me, and they just put me on the next one.

- and the most annoying... my first year living in Sweden, I was flying home to LAX for the winter holidays - CPH-FRA-LAX. Snow storm in CPH delayed take-off, but there was still a chance I'd make the connection as FRA also had weather delays...but it wasn't to be. When I got to FRA, they had me go to the lounge to rebook, and they booked me FRA-IAD-LAX and advised that my luggage would not make the flight. Okay, no problem, I was prepared for that. Problem was when I got to IAD, they weren't...and wouldn't let me out of immigration without my bags. I had plenty of time for the connection...but it took them over an hour to reach someone in Frankfurt who could confirm that my bags were still in Germany (or on their way to LA)...then they finally let me go, but had to rebook me on an even later flight IAD-LAX. Got home about half a day after I was meant to, and missed meeting a friend who was only there that half day. Very annoying.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US
The only time I recall missing a flight turned out reasonably well.

The Love of my Life and I had just finished up six weeks in Kenya on the cheap, squeezing in trips to game parks, a slog up Mt Kenya, getting an elderly Range Rover stuck in Mt Elgon mud at 10,000 ft, and a week at the coast without getting malaria. The time had come to start winding our way back to the States via another six weeks in Europe. We showed up at the Nairobi Pan Am counter (this was back in 1987) brandishing our tickets, only to be told by a highly irate agent that our flight left about 10 hours ago. Apparently I had difficulty distinguishing 12:30 AM from 12:30 PM. Luckily, she relented and rebooked us for the next flight, exactly one week later. We spent the time by taking the night train back to the coast and lounging around, again without contracting malaria.

I'm not convinced it would work out the same way nowadays.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: Most FF and hotel, i.e., spread too thin.
The misses that weren't

Prior to 9/11 and security my preferred mode was to walk up to the gate and be settling into my seat when they closed the door. I do NOT like hanging out at airports for extended periods (except maybe for F lounges).

This served me well for a long time until that stormy night on the way to PHL to catch the non-stop to SFO (they had such in those days). I knew I was cutting it too close so I parked illegally at the curb, tossed the keys to the rental agent desk in the terminal and ran to the gate -- just in time to see the plane backing out and the agents packed up.

While I pondered what to do now that there were no more flights that night and the end of my string of making flights I noticed some activity around the gate. Eventually I went over to look. The plane had a mechanical problem and was coming back to the gate! They docked for a while, the agents got me on - and all was well. I counted that as a made flight.

The one I'll never hear the end of was not my flight. Taking my parents to the airport for their return after a visit I thought there was adequate time to get them to OAK. While driving thorugh Oakland someone asked "Aren't we going to SF?" Their flight actually was leaving from SFO! Oops. U-turn, Bay Bridge, etc., getting them to the terminal JUST in time to catch their flight. However, their bags did not make it - and I am reminded of it fairly often.

Now, of course, the security regime forces us to spend a lot more time at airports. I wonder what the total hit is on global productivity and personal time spent?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Different days - different times

The one time I missed a flight was on a courier flight between NYC and Helsinki ($50 R/T !!)

I had a great time in Finland and returned to the Helsinki airport for my SAS flight to Copenhagen via Gothenberg. Looking up at the departure board I see a SAS flight with the same routing leaving an hour before mine. I think "That's odd that they would have two flights with the same routing so close." Looking down I don't see my flight (as listed on my ticket)

At the counter I find out that the flight leaves different times on different days and the person who booked my ticket put the wrong time on. It was too late to make the flight, but thankfully they put me on a Finnair flight that got me to my connection in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.