Reload this Page >

First ever missed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First ever missed flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
When I was traveling for work I was fortunate that I never missed a flight. If the flight starts to board at 8 AM then I plan on arriving at the airport by 6 AM. I found that I could do 90 % of my work anywhere and the additional time ensured that an accident, construction or what ever would not cause me to miss that flight.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:27 am

My only missed flight ever, was an International one. Got to the AP 3 hours ahead of time to eat and read and get through security. Upon boarding, I couldn't find my passport. I had laid it down when I put my shoes back on, Security had it. But, I missed the plane when I went to retreive it. Had sat at the gate for almost 2 hours reading. I was furious at myself.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
My very minor addition to this is not leaving enough time to get to JFK, begged the TSA ID checker to let me use the elite security line, asked forgiveness from the people in front of me lazily preparing themselves for the belt and rushed through. Got to my flight as the last people were boarding.

Another time I sprinted through EWR from security to the furthest C gate (87 for those of you who know) and was the last one on. Had I not been exercising regularly, I doubt I would have made that one.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
This reminds me of one morning when I was flying to LGA/ORD/DEN (or wherever) a couple of months ago. I had just passed security and noticed that my flight didn't start boarding until 25 minutes, so I thought I could pop into RCC and have tea and read the morning paper. At the same time I overhear an older couple: "The flight is leaving at 10.25...", which is about 2.5 later than my flight. Guess you wont find me at the airport hours before departure!!!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:00 am

SEA-YYJ

Arrive at ticket counter at T-5. Before saying anything to me, ticket agent picks up phone and says "Hold xxx to YYJ". Run to gate A1 (carryon only), they're opening the already closed door so I can get on.

OK, It was only an EMB-110, but man did I feel sheepish.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:47 am

Programs: EY Platinum, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Missed a flight from Pargue - LHR due to a late night and a very bad hangover!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:57 am
pj2

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by zrs70
Was to fly LAX-BOS, UA 162 4/11 (8:40am departure). Due to this and that, we got to LAX late. They paged us while going through security, but there is no way to return the page! We showed up at the gate at 8:33. Door was closed, jetway was still connected. I sheepishly pleaded with the gate agent. (Flight was not full).

We asked for a SD, but she came after the jetway disconnected. They put us on new flights, and they were apologetic (though it is WE who are in the wrong). We'll now get to BOS at 8:30.

What's sad is that I was to lead a family Seder tonight.

I am usually a stickler for being at the airport over an hour in advance. But my one time late, I got burned. Actually, let me rephrase... I burned myself!
What a refreshing thread! OP doesn't blame anyone for his problem. How sad to have missed the very special family event, but thanks for just telling the tale - no ranting and complaining. Hope the rest of your family visit went well.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
I nearly missed a flight out of IAH that would have certainly been our fault. We hit a restaurant for dinner...and drinks. Then we headed to one of the round B set of gates and decided we had time for another drink so we hit the bar right by our gate. Next thing I know they are paging us by name for final boarding. We missed all the calls. Nothing like running up to your gate as you're trying to finish your drink.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
I've missed a lot of return flights because of situations at client sites, like meetings from which I could not extricate myself, no matter how hard I tried. Or sometimes things will be going smoothly all week, until about an hour before I need to leave, and suddenly the wheels come off. I've only missed one outbound flight, and it was beacause I was really sick and overslept.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: DL
The real question is...

have you ever missed a flight because you were drinking too much at the airport bar or lounge?

Happened to me 20+ hours into a trip (going from from Nairobi to CMH) in the DET airport.

NW was surprisingly understanding and simply put me on the next flight. (So I went back to the bar.)

Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by rlawson
have you ever missed a flight because you were drinking too much at the airport bar or lounge?

Happened to me 20+ hours into a trip (going from from Nairobi to CMH) in the DET airport.

NW was surprisingly understanding and simply put me on the next flight. (So I went back to the bar.)

Can't tell you how many times this happened to our customers at DTW in the World Club. I had a few regulars that would tell me to please take note of there flt no. and name and give them heads up about 1/2 hour before departure. Weren't many, and I saw them come through a lot, so I didn't mind. I also would give them a glance as they walked out the door and see if their briefcase and hat were in place.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Back in the 90s, my brother and I were going to Puerto Rico for a quick vacation, flying DCA-BWI-San Juan. Well, we didn't hear the alarm clock and woke up too late to make the DCA-BWI flight. I called a girlfriend and asked if she could drive us up to BWI. She lived in the District and I lived in Fairfax. She sped out to my apartment, picked us up and we got to BWI in time to check in, but not to check our luggage (including 2 sets of golf clubs). We were told to sprint (literally) to the gate with our luggage and they would gate check everything. Needless to say, getting through security wasn't a breeze, but we made it (again, all pre-9/11). I think I stopped sweating about halfway to Puerto Rico. Not a fun way to start a vacation, and my brother doesn't hesitate to remind me. Now I set a couple of alarms the night before a trip!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
I've missed several connections, but only came close to missing an originating flight once, last September. Flying ORD-ICN on KE in the midst of several days of heavy rains. Get to the exit for ORD just in time to see a state trooper close the exit due to flooding around the airport. Tried several ways into the airport to no avail. Parked at a McDs within sight of a roadblock (Higgins and Manheim if anyone cares). Called KE and was informed that, since they have a crew and a plane, it will depart, whether PAX can get to the airport or not.

After a wait, roadblock is lifted. Drove like a maniac to T5. Checked in 45 minutes before departure, cleared security, changed Little Elephant's diaper, and made the gate just in time for boarding.

On the taxiway out to the runway we could see that pretty much all the detention areas around the runways were full, including some that were under construction and had submerged construction equipment in them.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
I have never missed a flight because I hate to be late. I always try to get to the airport early.

I almost missed a connection a few years ago. I was flying on NW: SDF/DTW/BOS and then BOS to ISP on AA. My flight to DTW arrived late and I had less than 2 minutes to get to the gate for the flight to BOS. I had to run full speed to the other end of the terminal. When I got to there the GA told me that the flight was closed. As she tried to rebook me on a later flight, she noticed that my last leg was on AA metal. She quickly picked up the phone and asked for permission for me to board the plane still at the gate. As I waited for an answer, another pax arrived for the same flight. Permission was granted for both of us and I got bumped to first class while the other pax sat in the last row in the back.

Last edited by Open Jaw; Apr 14, 2009 at 1:01 pm
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Only missed one originating flight:

Last year I was booked on Zhangjiajie (a very small city in China) to Shenzhen (a much bigger one). There is only one flight per day, about 6.30am. So I set my phone to wake me up. Unfortunately it was a Saturday and I forgot to set the alarm to "include weekends"....woke up at 5.50am, ran out of hotel, into a taxi and got to airport at 6.10am to see plan still on stand. Check in closed, no way I could even bribe the airport manager

I had to get to Shenzhen that evening latest (about a 2 hour flight). Only option was to get the taxi to take me to the local bus station and get a bus to Changsha, a much bigger city that would have several flights to Shenzhen. Well, finally got on a bus at 9.45am that toured around the mountain passes rather than the highway....got to Changsha about 3pm.

Had to buy a new ticket for next available flight about 5pm, got to Shenzhen 7pm and into the city 8pm. Missed the dinner but at least I made it

Never made the same mistake with the phone alarm again...

nickyboy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.