Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone Get Hotel Upgrades w/Bribe at Check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, US, Starw Amex

I'm wondering how viable it would be to get an upgrade by slipping something to the clerk while checking in -- and how much cash it would have to be. Question applies to 2 scenarios: 1) paid stay for 1-3 nite business travel by SPG Gold or MR Silver or 2) reward stay at resort property for a week w/wife and kids (u/g to suite or better view).

Anyone have experience getting this? How did you go about it (overtly or tried innuendo) and how much works? I've gotten a better room by schmoozing the clerk, but I'm wondering if there is a better way. I don't have top tier status obviously, so can't expect upgrades there. But maybe there is an effective way to get to the same result w/o top status
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Or maybe you could just sack up and get some status?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:28 pm

Programs: AC SE
http://www.frontdesktip.com/
Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To quote Al Capone,

"You'll get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word."

So, the lesson is obvious: wave your piece under the clerk's nose and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to upgrade you.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:03 am

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/las-v...very-well.html
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Originally Posted by fly-yul
Second review on that website.....
Success: Upgrade!
Upgraded from Deluxe to Deluxe

My name is Lars. I like to do the twenty dollar trick to get an upgrade and have nicer rooms. This works most of the time when the hotel is sold out. I like to sleep with other swedish men. Most of the front desk clerks understand when you hand over the sandwich. I have slicked back greasey hair and palms. Just slip it in between the ID and CC and your all set. I like to play sink the sub with my boyfriends. All in all this is a great way to not have to pay extra for a room that you can give a little tip for! So next time your in the mood for some gay loving and looking to upgrade the room just use the $20 trick and you'll be just fine.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by tomnativenewyorker
Second review on that website.....
The Belagio seems to attract a specific "clientelle" Check the reviews. Here's one from Mr. Normous.

I handed the front desk guy a hoagie, slapped on some man jam, and shamalama wuppy tah!! Twenty dollas plus tree fitty ($23.50) got me and uncle brother some good strip views!!

Last edited by fromYYZ_flyer; Feb 5, 2009 at 8:08 am
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 2K, BD Gold, DL/NW Gold, SPG Plat, MRW Silver, Hertz PC
Resort properties typically have no problem charging people for room upgrades for ocean views and such, so unless they are out of rooms in the class you are booked in I wouldn't bother trying to bribe them - they'll just offer you a buy up.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
The Belagio seems to attract a specific "clientelle" Check the reviews. Here's one from Mr. Normous.
His name is the best part!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.