Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost item during flight - found by airline mechanic a year later and returned

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Lost item during flight - found by airline mechanic a year later and returned

I was on a United flight with a window seat. I had my Zune mp3 player on my lap and during takeoff it slipped off and onto the floor. No big deal, I thought. I searched for a bit before, then I noticed the side panel was partly off. I turned around and asked the lady behind me if she could pick it up. She was nice enough to dig around a hell of a lot and came up with nothing. At the end of the flight the attendants helped me look and then called maintenence because it appears the device had fallen into the open crack of the unsecured panel, a safety hazard they said. The maintainence guy tells me it must have went down the crack and that leads to the hull of the aircraft and that it is unrecoverable. A couple people told me the plane couldn't fly until they got it out, though the next flight took off as scheduled so I doubt that.

In my assessment this is United's fault for having a safety hazard on their plane. Am I not allowed to accidentally drop something on the floor without fear of it disappearing into a bottomless pit? Rationally I think they will tell me to pound sand. The only path I see is that I can raise a stink about safety hazards and them allowing aircraft to take off with foreign objects in the hull.

edit: I filled out a lost item claim form but I'm assuming that will go nowhere so I'm wondering what to do next if anything

UPDATE: Now a year later, I got a call from an aircraft mechanic on the East Coast. He found my Zune on a 757 while doing some work in the hull of the aircraft. Among other items he found jewelry and a Canadian passport in the same spot.

So my mp3 player has been flying around the country for the past year, and is now on its way back to me.

Last edited by jamison; Dec 30, 2009 at 6:09 pm
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold
Originally Posted by jamison
I was on a United flight with a window seat. I had my Zune mp3 player on my lap and during takeoff it slipped off and onto the floor. No big deal, I thought. I searched for a bit before, then I noticed the side panel was partly off. I turned around and asked the lady behind me if she could pick it up. She was nice enough to dig around a hell of a lot and came up with nothing. At the end of the flight the attendants helped me look and then called maintenence because it appears the device had fallen into the open crack of the unsecured panel, a safety hazard they said. The maintainence guy tells me it must have went down the crack and that leads to the hull of the aircraft and that it is unrecoverable. A couple people told me the plane couldn't fly until they got it out, though the next flight took off as scheduled so I doubt that.

In my assessment this is United's fault for having a safety hazard on their plane. Am I not allowed to accidentally drop something on the floor without fear of it disappearing into a bottomless pit? Rationally I think they will tell me to pound sand. The only path I see is that I can raise a stink about safety hazards and them allowing aircraft to take off with foreign objects in the hull.

edit: I filled out a lost item claim form but I'm assuming that will go nowhere so I'm wondering what to do next if anything
butterfingers

I think they will tell you to pound sand.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Lost item during flight - do I have a leg to stand on?

Succintly...no.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
No
Old Dec 31, 2008, 1:15 pm

Sounds like the lady behind you has a nice new mp3!
Old Dec 31, 2008, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by skylady
Sounds like the lady behind you has a nice new mp3!
It was just the cover piece.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: I got a call from an aircraft mechanic on the East Coast. He found my Zune on a 757 while doing some work in the hull of the aircraft. Among other items he found jewelry and a Canadian passport in the same spot.

So my mp3 player has been flying around the country for the past year, and is now on its way back to me.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm impressed, both that you had enough information on the device for them to track you down, and that they did.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:28 pm

..yes but did it get the MILES!!!!!

Sounds like he found the stuff... reported it , and someone searched the records looking for a Lost item report.... which appropriately you HAD submitted.. presumably that allowed you to be contacted.... Wow....

(Good ending indeed....^ and what excellent service... if only eventually!)
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
It just goes to show, you should always report lost or stolen items, you never know when they'll reappear. Back in the pre-video ipod days, I left a a holder with probably 12 DVDs in a seat pocket. I did report it, but since it had no identifying info on it, I just assumed it was futile and forgot about it. About 8 months later I got a call from CO - somehow the case, with all the DVDs still inside, turned up. There are still some honest people in this world.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: *A
This is really as it should be.
However, I am impressed w/ the mechanic, I am sure that many others would have just kept it.
^^^ to the mechanic and to UA.
Glad that there's a happy end.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Originally Posted by jamison
Kudos to the A&P for doing the right thing.

to the OP for not recognizing his own negligence.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trooper
..yes but did it get the MILES!!!!!
No fare, no miles.

Otherwise, wouldn't it be a giggle for the cover plate to get a FC seat?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the update! There are honest people and this is a good opportunity to remind everyone to put a business card in with your electronics. I accidentally left my Bose headphones case with the headphones PLUS my iPod on a flight into ORD. I got a call on my cell phone 15 minutes later from the woman who found them. She was on her way out of the airport but left everything at the Information desk.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
I am impressed with UA's mechanic and their system which was able to match you and your lost item a year later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.