Reload this Page >

Wacky and Insane Round-Trip Travel Itineraries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wacky and Insane Round-Trip Travel Itineraries

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Canarsie
It was less expensive for me for a round-trip airfare between Atlanta and San Diego via London twice than non-stop.

It was as simple as that.

Go figure...
I find that hard to believe since, as another poster mentioned, we are probably talking about multiple itineraries. (Two open jaws?)

Moreover, you must place a pretty low value on your time (and perhaps comfort) if the only consideration was "get from Atlanta to San Diego as cheaply as possible" and this is what you came up with.

I assume that the mileage earning or chance to spend a few hours in London were side benefits.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stupidhead
Isn't SAN-LHR-ATL an illegal itinerary if both legs are done on the same foreign carriers (which I assume it isn't since there aren't really nonstops out of San Diego to Europe.) ;p
BA in the past used to have direct service between LON and SAN. But couldn't remember if it was nonstop or via PHX?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Princess1
Geez, and here I thought PHX-HNL via IAH and CLT was nuts.
A friend of mine recently did PHX-Manila via EWR on Continental. The trip earned him just over 25K miles.

The BA flight from SAN was indeed SAN-PHX-LHR on a 777.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
The longest "crazy itinerary" I've done is SFO-SYD the long way around (via LHR and BKK). Not that long ago BA offered an award between SFO and SYD using that routing. Can't remember exactly how many miles it cost, but I know it seemed a very good deal at the time. (I did it in C.)
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 2.2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Exec, Hertz President's Club, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by alanh
The BA flight from SAN was indeed SAN-PHX-LHR on a 777.
I used to fly that when it was a 747-400
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:21 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Me?

YYZ > LGA > JFK > AMM > DOH > CMB > SIN > AKL > CHC > ZQN -- a few days travel, then back...

ZQN > AKL > BKK > FRA > VCE > JFK > IAD > YYZ

most in J, some in Y...
Old Dec 10, 2008, 1:23 am

Programs: MH Gold, IHG RA, SPG Gold, QF Silver, Hertz 5 star
I did SIN/HAN/SIN in J then on to SYD as it was cheaper by almost $2k SGD than a straight SIN/SYD.

The FA couldn't believe it when I got back on the return flight to SIN and had a real laugh when I told them why.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 4:51 am

My family (kids less than 12) is doing:

ORD-NRT-ICN-NRT-DPS-HKG-LHR-MCT-LHR-ORD-DFW-MIA-SAL-MIA-ORD in 15 days.

Do we win the children's competition?
Old Dec 10, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: DL GM
Just this weekend I had a normal flight planned DTW-ATL-MCO on Friday, MCO-ATL-DTW on Monday. Had an emergency to attend to that caused me to fly MCO-MSP on Saturday morning. Unfortunately, the cheapest way for me to get back to Michigan was for me to fly back down to Orlando on Monday.

My monday routing was MSP-CVG-MCO-ATL-DTW, on two different PNRs, but the ticket agent was able to link my luggage so I only had to check it in MSP and collect it in DTW.

Originally Posted by RustyC
A couple of old faves (though not quite as old as Eastern) used to be DL matches of WN fares. They once had ORD-ATL-OMA and SDF-ATL-MCI doable at $58++ RT each.
DL still matches WN fares. I was booked on a PHL-CVG-BNA-CVG-DTW one way for 158. It was 1/4 of the price of flying directly PHL-CVG-DTW. (Yes, the website allowed me to purchase a flight that connected twice in CVG via the multi-city option)
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
I used my company's in-house travel booking system to check airfare ORD-ICN. It spit back out ORD-MSP-SEA-HKG-TPE-NRT-ICN and reverse. 44 hours travel time (including a lengthy layover at TPE) on 4 different airlines.

Or for $50 more I could go with ORD-ICN direct on KE.

Our travel system is notorious for this kind of stuff.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cfwolfs
Just this weekend I had a normal flight planned DTW-ATL-MCO on Friday, MCO-ATL-DTW on Monday. Had an emergency to attend to that caused me to fly MCO-MSP on Saturday morning. Unfortunately, the cheapest way for me to get back to Michigan was for me to fly back down to Orlando on Monday.

My monday routing was MSP-CVG-MCO-ATL-DTW, on two different PNRs, but the ticket agent was able to link my luggage so I only had to check it in MSP and collect it in DTW.

DL still matches WN fares. I was booked on a PHL-CVG-BNA-CVG-DTW one way for 158. It was 1/4 of the price of flying directly PHL-CVG-DTW. (Yes, the website allowed me to purchase a flight that connected twice in CVG via the multi-city option)
Actually, that's two one ways (PHL-BNA and BNA-DTW).
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
It was less expensive for me for a round-trip airfare between Atlanta and San Diego via London twice than non-stop.

It was as simple as that.

Go figure...
At that point, I would have rather gone Greyhound from ATL-SAN. Might even take less time.

And for the person with the MSP-CVG-MCO-DET flight on the return leg, it would be faster to get off at CVG and go Greyhound to DET than to go all the way to Orlando.

For example, if you have an itinerary of PIT-EWR-BOS-PIT-SFO (assuming this is cheaper than PIT-SFO), could you skip the PIT-EWR flight and show up at PIT for the PIT-SFO flight? Let's say that you tell the airline that you got a flat tire so you will miss the PIT-EWR flight, and you want to be placed on the next available flight to your destination, which is the PIT-SFO leg. Or there's a snowstorm in the northeast delaying flights at EWR and BOS but it's clear in PIT. It's ridiculous to fly hundreds of miles only to end up back where you started. Would such a routing even be possible to book?

Another weird itinerary is ZFV-EWR-ABE
ZFV-EWR is an Amtrak train and EWR-ABE is a bus. You get 500 miles per segment, and the train and bus are assigned "flight" numbers. Pretty cool to get 1000 miles without leaving the ground or going faster than 100 mph.

Last edited by nd2010; Dec 11, 2008 at 1:04 am
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Me?

YYZ > LGA > JFK > AMM > DOH > CMB > SIN > AKL > CHC > ZQN -- a few days travel, then back...

ZQN > AKL > BKK > FRA > VCE > JFK > IAD > YYZ

most in J, some in Y...
Is there really a direct flight between LGA and JFK?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by nd2010
Is there really a direct flight between LGA and JFK?
I think that's a // instead of >. Of course, there were SFO - OAK and ITH - ELM scheduled flights.

I had a combination work / vacation routing that took me:

IAD-OAK-LGB-LAS-SEA-ANC-SEA-ORD-DCA-DFW-LAX-SJC-LAX-ORD-DCA one week in 2002

Late week event in SFO, stopover in LAS, vacation "days" (2) in ANC, mid-week meeting in BWI, teach seminar in LAX, seminar in SJC.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:23 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Finite Elephant
I used my company's in-house travel booking system to check airfare ORD-ICN. It spit back out ORD-MSP-SEA-HKG-TPE-NRT-ICN and reverse. 44 hours travel time (including a lengthy layover at TPE) on 4 different airlines.

Or for $50 more I could go with ORD-ICN direct on KE.

Our travel system is notorious for this kind of stuff.
I wish that my travel system did this! (In fact, mine, American Express, is the opposite -- the business rules cause it to not display even mildly inconvenient itineraries, like two with connections or layovers longer than four hours.)

Yours would probably be very popular among the FlyerTalk community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.