Search

How many bottles of wine can come back?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON Circle, Premier M&M World MC, UA MP
How many bottles of wine can come back?

FRA -> PHL

How many bottles of wine is allowed back without paying for them? Is it 4 or 6? I forgot, but found a great local vineyard that I like, so I bought a few cases and will bring them back incrementally.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It is one liquid liter. However, the duty is calculated on the alcohol content of the product, i.e., 3L (4 bottles) of wine is about 1L of vodka. It is rare to hear of anyone getting dinged for up to a case of wine. Just declare it. If you don't, you could lose it or pay a fine. If you do, and get a poopoodoodookakahead at customs, then you will have to pay something.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have brought in a couple of cases at a time. the duty, which i have never been charged is between $3&4 a case.

i do not know if there is a state law against bringing wine into PA. if there is, the customs agents may well enforce it.

Do not tell the check in agents that you are carrying the wine. there are TSA rules that they do not understand, but will not hesitate to wrongly enforce.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52062,00.html

is a summary.

a couple months ago, i packed some clothing in a heavy cardboard box that had been used to ship wine from wines til sold out to me. had "handle with care alcohol" . could not check it. had to cut the labels off, then checked it after they opened it and inspected it. old tennis shoes and dirty underware. passed the TSA & GA sniff test.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:02 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Packing hint - PVC pipe makes for a great bottle protector in your suitcase. You can stuff it with clothing or whatever on the way over so it's not taking up space and it's really cheap.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 1:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Excellent tip.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 2:00 pm

Another tip - I just bought on clearance swimmies. The blow up rings that go around a child's arm. They will fit perfectly around wine bottles, but you should put the bottle in then blow it up. Also they are usually only about 7 inches tall so the will not go to the top of the bottle. But they do a good job of protecting most of the bottle. Then just wrap dirty clothes around neck and stuff into the extra large packing zip lock bags.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abcxyz
FRA -> PHL

How many bottles of wine is allowed back without paying for them? Is it 4 or 6? I forgot, but found a great local vineyard that I like, so I bought a few cases and will bring them back incrementally.
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...aying_duty.xml

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.