Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Restroom Rules - what are the rules for use of F bathrooms?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restroom Rules - what are the rules for use of F bathrooms?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS
[QUOTE=SJC1K;10254256]IMO going forward because of a queue is not acceptable regardless of where you're sitting. The queue is part of the package in Y. However, going forward because the aisle is blocked by a beverage cart makes it OK to ask the FA's permission to use the F lav.QUOTE]

I'd generally agree but when the FA says it's fine well there you go. Things have to be reasonable or there are issues well beyond upsetting people in a cabin. We have to remember, no matter what status you pay for human needs are human needs. But for the most part your cabin is your cabin and even if there isn't a rule forcing you to stay there, that's what you paid for. If there's a bigger issue well then all bets are off.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ted S
I'd generally agree but when the FA says it's fine well there you go. Things have to be reasonable or there are issues well beyond upsetting people in a cabin. We have to remember, no matter what status you pay for human needs are human needs.
I agree, if the FA says OK then it's OK, with the note that the FA failing to object is not the same as saying OK. And the FA, and any reasonable person, should accommodate urgent need.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:33 am

Programs: CO
[QUOTE=Ted S;10254435]
Originally Posted by SJC1K
IMO going forward because of a queue is not acceptable regardless of where you're sitting. The queue is part of the package in Y. However, going forward because the aisle is blocked by a beverage cart makes it OK to ask the FA's permission to use the F lav.QUOTE]

I'd generally agree but when the FA says it's fine well there you go. Things have to be reasonable or there are issues well beyond upsetting people in a cabin. We have to remember, no matter what status you pay for human needs are human needs. But for the most part your cabin is your cabin and even if there isn't a rule forcing you to stay there, that's what you paid for. If there's a bigger issue well then all bets are off.
I'd agree with someone blocked in by an FA cart, or urgent need, or any other such reason. But the parade is just unacceptable - especially when you're trying to sleep and the headrest-grabbers apparently want to use it every three minutes.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:05 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
As my father pointed out the other day... the bathrooms often do have power outlets and I'm sure more than one person has gone there to charge things.

Taking your laptop in to the loo to charge things, that's a new way of putting it....
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I've seen it happen more than once.
While you might have seen it more than once, I still think that F to Y loo is much more rare than the reverse.

Have to admit that while I've seen some people take a while, I've never seen someone go in w/ a laptop

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: LH FTL, AVIS Preferred First, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
The LAW says you only are limited to your own cabin on international flights.
But which law is the applicable one on international flights? The one of the departure country, the one of the arrival country or the one, where the airline is registered? Not that easy of a question... See drinking age on flights. If you are with a European airline, it's ususally 18. If you are with an American carrier, it's usually 21. No matter, where the flight starts and lands. But on the other side, on flights to Saudi-Arabia there's no alcohol at all.

I think, FA often might just want to make their job easy by saying "it's the law".
Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
A lot of FA's don't seem to care, but some do.
The LAW says you only are limited to your own cabin on international flights.
If I am just behind FC, I will go for it. It is often too difficult to tell how many people are ahead of me at the economy WC.
please point me to a LAW. the only one i know of is disobeying a crew member. if the FA tells me i cannot go to a certain part of the plane, i assume i cannot. other than that, i think there no LAW or reg.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:36 am

Well is there a "law" stating I can't use luxury seat bathrooms at a stadium if I'm in the nosebleed section? Is there a "law" stating F overheads can't be used by Y? It doesn't seem like a legal issue at all.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by rrgg
Well is there a "law" stating I can't use luxury seat bathrooms at a stadium if I'm in the nosebleed section? Is there a "law" stating F overheads can't be used by Y? It doesn't seem like a legal issue at all.
Yes, there is a "law" stating you can't use luxury seat bathrooms at a stadium. You need a special admission ticket to get into these areas, and if you don't have one and enter anyway, you are guilty of tresspassing. This is a crime under the common law and has been codified into the statutes of every state.

As for a plane, it all depends on what the airline says the rule is. If the airline says you aren't allowed in F, then you are tresspassing if you go into First. Airlines are too spineless to enforce this, but it is the law.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:17 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
that is what say!

Originally Posted by Rebelyell
As for a plane, it all depends on what the airline says the rule is. If the airline says you aren't allowed in F, then you are tresspassing if you go into First. Airlines are too spineless to enforce this, but it is the law.
They say it quite clearly at the beginning of each flight. As a FC passenger I expect it to be enforced. Unless it's an 'emergency' folks in the back should stay there.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
My main pet peeve is when the FA announces that people are to use the lav in their own cabin and then do nothing to enforce it. If there's no enforcement it just penalizes the people who observe the "rules" and rewards the rule-breakers. If it's not enforced, don't make the announcement.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Hertz Gold
[QUOTE=hausfrau;10255597]
especially when you're trying to sleep and the headrest-grabbers apparently want to use it every three minutes.

That reminded me....I've always wondered if anyone has ever produced a sign I can hang on my seat that says something like "This is my seat, not a handle!".
Old Aug 30, 2008, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Nobbi
My main pet peeve is when the FA announces that people are to use the lav in their own cabin and then do nothing to enforce it. If there's no enforcement it just penalizes the people who observe the "rules" and rewards the rule-breakers. If it's not enforced, don't make the announcement.
The announcement is to suggest they use the facilities in their own cabin. There is no enforcement required on domestic flights when they do not.

Last edited by skylady; Aug 30, 2008 at 2:04 pm
Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nobbi
Some FAs are just too lazy to enforce them.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Some of you might get a kick out of this thread I started over at the Alaska forum a few years ago:

Further Thoughts on Coach Passengers Using The First Class Lavatories

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.