Wiki Posts
Search

Are you paying extra for gas using your CC becareful its getting more expensive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 5:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Are you paying extra for gas using your CC becareful its getting more expensive

most gas stations started charging an extra 10 cents per gallon if you pay with a CC when gas hit $4 a gal. saying they were being charged more since the total sale price was higher.

Or say 2 1/2%, well some figured it still paid to use a CC if getting Double Miles or Pts.

Be careful as the price of gas is falling (paid $3.71 last night in NJ with a CC others same price Ca$h only) the % is going up, as they still charge an extra 10 cents per gallon at $3.71 meaning you pay $3.81, that they charged when it was $4.19. So as the price of gas goes down the % that the 10 cents represents goes up, so as the price per gallon gets closer to $3 it gets closer to a 3% fee for using a CC.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 5:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
"MOst" is a big stretch. "Some" sounds more accurate.

Just back from a 7k mile road trip CA-NV-AZ-UT-CO-NE-SD-ND-MT-WY-ID-UT-NV-CA and saw extra charge for CC only aq couple of times on the whole trip. Can't think of any gas stations around where I live in SoCal that charge extra for using a CC. (Of course AmPm doesn't accept CCs anyhow, but I'm wary of their gas - my Sunurban definitely runs rougher on AmPm gas than Chevron, etc).
Old Aug 3, 2008, 5:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgwright99
"MOst" is a big stretch. "Some" sounds more accurate.

Just back from a 7k mile road trip CA-NV-AZ-UT-CO-NE-SD-ND-MT-WY-ID-UT-NV-CA and saw extra charge for CC only aq couple of times on the whole trip. Can't think of any gas stations around where I live in SoCal that charge extra for using a CC. (Of course AmPm doesn't accept CCs anyhow, but I'm wary of their gas - my Sunurban definitely runs rougher on AmPm gas than Chevron, etc).
Ok I will be alittle more specific , Ive seen the extra 10 cents per gallon at many a station in NJ and NY
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:13 pm

Have not seen one yet and I hope will not see any
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:39 am

I havent seen this yet, but it doesnt surprise me. Its how everyone does it for diesels, so its likely they will try and do it with gas too. I like paying for my gas at the pump, and cant actually even remember the last time I used cash, so I hope this doesnt catch on.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:43 am

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
Originally Posted by craz
Ok I will be alittle more specific , Ive seen the extra 10 cents per gallon at many a station in NJ and NY

In NY/NJ right now, will look out for it. If I see it, I may charge back.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:45 am

I've only seen 2 gas stations do this and they've been doing it since gas went north of the $3 mark. Both stations in not-so-great areas of Tampa, FL.

Note: Gas stations aren't allowed to charge higher prices to credit card users, but they are allowed to give a "cash discount". Depending on the state you live in, the station might be required to post the highest price on the road sign. In other states (Florida), as long as they have "cash price" on the road sign, they can post the cheaper prices.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:52 am

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
You typically see the cash discount being given at locally owned gas stations. Not the major chains. I have not seen any discrepancy in the price of cash vs. credit in my area.

Halothane
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Have only seen this in practice for diesel fuel (and then very rarely) when driving through KY.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1P
It's not uncommon in BOS area. I'd say about 10% of the gas stations I pass on my way to and from work (11 mile commute along main roads) have a credit card surcharge. It's annoying, and I've stopped going to those places.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I've only run into an extra fee at only one station in OR and So. Idaho. It was in Bend, OR and they only accepted cash or a debit card. Fee was 0.45 on a $20 sale. Very irritating because the attendant didn't tell me in advance. They may have had a sign on the pump but I never saw it.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I've only seen this one gas station in Orange County, CA. That particular station gives a 4 cent/per gallon discount when paying cash. Not worth it in my opinion.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Those that have the dual pricing usually will have the cheaper ca$h price on the signs that you see from the road. Sometimes you have to look real close to see where it says "CASH".

The way I tell is by looking at the top of the pumps if I see 2 different prices 1 above the other then its a tell tale sign you will pay more if using a CC. If theres the old 1 price on top of the pump then its Cash or Credit same price.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Of the 6 gas stations within a mile of my home in Long Beach, CA, only one has a higher price for credit cards (both prices clearly marked on the large road sign) and one does not accept cards at all. That leaves me 4 stations within a mile all at similar price points to use my card.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:53 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Moderator Hat On

This thread is a more appropriate fit in TravelBuzz!

Moderator Hat Off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.