Reload this Page >

An Open Letter to All Airline Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An Open Letter to All Airline Customers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Messrs. Kellner and Kelly signed. Frontier didn't. Virgin didn't. Neither did Mesa and the like.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by Firewind
Messrs. Kellner and Kelly signed. Frontier didn't. Virgin didn't. Neither did Mesa and the like.
Virgin is in super-subsidized-below-market mode, so that's no surprise - they don't want to appear weak. Frontier is in BK, so their lawyers may have told them not to get involved. Mesa is near death, but even so, as a regional airline they are much less affected by fuel prices because they don't pay those costs... most of their flights for UA, for example, are "not at risk" flights, meaning they get their expenses covered by UA and they get paid the same amount per flight regardless of load factors. Note that Skywest didn't sign either, nor did any other regional that I can see.

So... not really a surprise, IMHO.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:40 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
I just got my copy in my inbox from United and still kind of laughing at it...
Old Jul 11, 2008, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Given the recent history of market bubbles in other areas (dotcoms, RE) and the seeming lack of other areas that are producing returns for the huge amount of capital out there, the idea that there may be artificial inflation of oil prices due to speculation doesn't seem that farfetched. Certainly the idea that removal of regulatory safeguards in the area is exacerbating the problem is something we've also seen in other areas in recent years. Energy is a bona fide problem and the global-demand factor is real and will force major changes, but in the short term the idea of paying 70 or 80 cents a gallon as a premium to speculators really rubs people the wrong way, given all their struggles.

Politically it seems like it could put the Republicans on the defensive, as it'd give a candidate like Obama a reply to McCain's gas-tax proposal. If Congress sent it to Bush and he vetoed it, it'd be a tough veto to defend.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 2:16 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Maybe you should try being B-SchoolFlyer next There is no such thing as "demand for oil futures." There is only demand for oil. Futures are not a commodity with a fixed level of physical supply or demand. The available supply of oil futures is only limited by the number of people that feel like writing a contract for one. You don't have to own a barrel of oil to sell an oil future--all you are doing is promising to hand over the spot price of a barrel of oil on the day the contract expires. Then you give the money to the buyer of the contract, and he/she goes out and buys a barrel of oil with it (or puts it in his/her pocket).
Hmm...why is there "no such thing" as demand for oil futures? Your explanation addresses supply, but not demand. And if I'm reading you correctly, even the supply structure doesn't seem unique. (The available supply of haircuts, for example, is affected only by the number of people who feel like cutting hair. But that doesn't mean that the principles of supply and demand are completely inapplicable.)
Old Jul 11, 2008, 2:17 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Got this from UA, as did my neice who has yet to fly UA, but is still a "most loyal customer" - even though she has yet to fly UA!

It's hard to have any symapathy for the airlines when we get screwed left, right and centre. They need to get smarter and leaner, not ask for my support for what is a political issue.

If/when oil prices come down, will fares come down, will soda's be free. will checked baggage be free? No, they will hold on to the extra profit
Old Jul 11, 2008, 4:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by 21H21J
If/when oil prices come down, will fares come down, will soda's be free. will checked baggage be free? No, they will hold on to the extra profit
A cynical outlook which may end up reality, but I doubt it. The market just doesn't work that way. If oil drops to a point where airlines can afford to lower fares and still make a profit (or not lose as much ), they will, because of competition. All it takes is for one airline to lower fares when they realize that they can do so while still maintaining margins... the rest will shortly follow to remain competitive, and this cycle will continue until fares reach a point where they are no longer sustainable (when they will once again rise).

It could happen your way, but I think it's more likely to happen as I describe, assuming oil drops to sustainable levels. While certainly some specific markets are beholden to certain airlines, in general air travel is a commodity these days, with very little to distinguish one airline from another... and commodities compete on price just as above.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 5:37 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Hmm...why is there "no such thing" as demand for oil futures? Your explanation addresses supply, but not demand.
Because futures are not in themselves a commodity with limited quantity. They're just an idea, or more correctly, a promise. Using your example: haircuts would eventually get more expensive even after every single person on the planet became a hairdresser, as soon as every human being also decided that they needed ten haircuts a day. There is a limitation on the physical supply, so there is a supply curve. But there's no limit on the supply of promises. If I give one promise, I can just as easily give ten, or a thousand. I couldn't give a thousand haircuts a day.

The supply-demand dynamic you're assuming, by which prices get more expensive as demand increases and cheaper as demand decreases, only works if there is a limitation on supply. If there's no limit--i.e., no matter how many people want the thing, there will always be an infinite supply of it--then it's not valid to suggest (as you do in your first post) that less demand = lower price.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Hmm...why is there "no such thing" as demand for oil futures? Your explanation addresses supply, but not demand. And if I'm reading you correctly, even the supply structure doesn't seem unique. (The available supply of haircuts, for example, is affected only by the number of people who feel like cutting hair. But that doesn't mean that the principles of supply and demand are completely inapplicable.)
Additionally, as I and YVR Cockroach have been saying (though I screwed up the formula at first), the price of oil futures is tied to the price of oil. If I promise you sell you a barrel in November for $130, I can go buy the barrel now, put it in storage, and then sell it to you in November. But then, so can you. So, you wouldn't pay me anything more than the costs of paying now and holding until November. You have to pay me for the fact that I'm spending cash now and you're paying later (interest) and for storage. Those absolutely define the prices of oil futures.

The only thing this propopsal would do is decrease the liquidity in the US oil futures market. The total number of trades worldwide wouldn't decrease much because people can trade it on other exchanges in London and other places.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
This link was posted on the MilesBuzz thread (since closed) on this topic, but I want to make sure every FTer reads this:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1215...s_opinion_main

It is not surprising that the airlines are failing if their CEOs do not understand basic economics.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FrequentHopper
Dear Airlines:

Thank you for your letter.

While we believe it's unfortunate that your poor management has landed you in a serious state, we point out the airlines who didn't sign this letter -- most notably Southwest and Continental -- have been clever about management.

They've adopted to fuel speculation with clever hedging, and enhanced their product rather than destroying it. As a result, they've lowered their fuel costs AND maintained a revenue premium -- blunting the fuel prices increases and earning significant profits throughout a time that has put most of the rest of you into bankruptcy.

While it is sad that you are encountering problems, it is largely due to your managerial incompetence in refusing to hedge -- dumping large sums of money into executive bonuses instead -- and lack of ability to attract and retain customers who are willing to pay premium fares to get you through this rough patch.

Instead, you've nickled-and-dimed customers with baggage charges, drink charges, IFE charges, and even elimination of IFE altogether. You've cut routes and increased fares, you've introduced customer-unfriendly weekend stayover fares, you've slashed and burned your frequent flyer programs, and you've flown unprofitable flights to unprofitable destinations.

Many of you *were* hedging but decided to stop doing so a year or two ago. Bad call. YOUR bad call.

Your destiny is your own. So are the actions leading you towards collapse.

Not one taxpayer dime should go towards rescuing you from your poor financial decisions.

Hopefully, you can begin hedging and treating your customers better, attracting those high-fare passengers you need to survive.

As for us, we do intend to write my legislators -- demanding that they resist efforts to bail out carriers again. With over $20 billion in direct and indirect subsidies since 2001, and multiple bankruptcies, it's outrageous that you would expect us to further bail you out of your sorry state.

Your bankruptcy and the elimination of some of you will give well-managed carriers like Continental, Southwest, and other future carriers an opportunity to fill in the blanks you leave with better service at a competitive price, happy employees, and vendors who are paid rather than screwed in bankruptcy.

Best regards,

The American Public
^^^^^^^^^^^
Old Jul 11, 2008, 9:45 am

lancebanyon

Originally Posted by boulderlaw
This link was posted on the MilesBuzz thread (since closed) on this topic, but I want to make sure every FTer reads this:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1215...s_opinion_main

It is not surprising that the airlines are failing if their CEOs do not understand basic economics.
This was my initial thought yesterday as well. Now I have an even worse thought - that the CEOs probably understand exactly how oil prices are determined; they are just hoping that you don't know.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
This was my initial thought yesterday as well. Now I have an even worse thought - that the CEOs probably understand exactly how oil prices are determined; they are just hoping that you don't know.
ding... ding... ding... we have a winner!
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt. RewardsNetwork dining.
Yesterday I replied to my "An open letter to all airline customers" from United with a suggestion to read Robert J. Samuelson's Newsweek column on Supply & Demand:
/////////////////
The problem is basic Supply & Demand of a physical resource, not "speculation" on futures; futures contracts on many commodities are bought and sold without the price increase we've seen in fuel the last couple of years.

Please see Robert J. Samuelson's column from last week's Newsweek:*"Let's Shoot the Speculators!"
URL: http://www.newsweek.com/id/143786

...The candidates say financial slimeballs are piling into commodities markets
and pushing prices to artificial and unconscionable levels. If only it were that simple. Speculator-bashing is another exercise in scapegoating and grandstanding....
/////////////

Today I received an email from Customer Service:
...I can certainly understand your concern in this e-mail
regarding the oil and fuel prices. We realize that how disappointing
and frustrated it can be for our passengers. Still, your comments are
important to us and I will share your concerns with our responsible
Management here at our Head Quarters for their internal review....

I wish they would just raise the ticket prices to whatever they need to cover their expenses, and have done with it. Makes it feel like it *costs* them money to fly me somewhere. And if they save money by not flying me... ah don't go there.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:56 pm

Speculators buy up large amounts of oil and then sell it to each other again and again.
No they don't.

A barrel of oil may trade 20-plus times before it is delivered
and used;
No it doesn't.

the price goes up with each trade
No it doesn't.

and consumers pick up the final tab.
No they don't.

Some market experts estimate that current prices reflect as much as $30 to $60 per barrel in unnecessary speculative costs.
Then they're idiots or charlatans or both.

These people are CEO's of major corporations and they don't have what used to be a tenth-grader's understanding of basic economics?!?! ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.