Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dental Work overseas / "Dental Vacations"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 1:20 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by szg
Maybe itīs too far for you, but in Europe you go to Hungary for a "Dental Vacation".
or Slovakia
Old Jun 29, 2008, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Thanks for all of the responses, so far. Much appreciated.

I'm doing some research and considering my options.

I wouldn't say any particular country is "too far" - I'm well traveled when it comes to Europe, Asia, parts of Central America, and Australia/New Zealand.

At one point, I was flying SDF-LGW/LHR/LCY on a monthly basis, but my travel patterns have changed significantly as of late.

Quality work, Price, and a good destination is what's important. The work I need done isn't "too major" (but still costly here in the states) - but if I can get quality work done at a good price and combine it with a nice vacation, I'm open to visiting a variety of places.

If anyone has had a good experience with a Dentist or a specific practice that they can suggest, I'd be interested in the details. Lots of dentists advertise online, but firsthand experiences and suggestions of specific dr's or dental practices would be appreciated.

Upcoming Intl travel plans currently include SJO & EZE. Would like to get BKK & HKG in as well at some point.

Cheers! SDF_Traveler
Old Jun 29, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Dental vacations are becoming popular for Londoners. A number of dental practices in the former Eastern European countries advertise their services in various papers, I believe that Prague and various cities in Poland are "en vogue" at present
Old Jun 29, 2008, 2:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
I haven't actually needed a dentist while in San Jose del Cabo, Mexico but Dr. Pena and her clinic are very popular with the gringos in my complex. Her website is www.angelsdental.com . She has pictures of satisfied customers and you can fill in a form and get an estimate on the work you want done. San Jose del Cabo is about 20 miles from Cabo San Lucas.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:02 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I'm pretty sure my husband was interviewed for that article but don't remember any more if his name was used.

Originally Posted by sammy0623
there was an NYT article about going to mexico and getting good work done there
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:07 pm

Ukraine is another one of those eastern European countries that has great dentists and cost is about 20% of what you would pay in USA. Great vacation there and as a bonus, no visa is required for US citizens.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Last time I was in Manila, I met an Aussie couple staying at the IC that were there on a dental vacation.

They seemed very happy with the quality and prices,
got a recommend from their embassy I think.

I hadn't thought of Philippines for that,
but might be a reasonable choice.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
There was a similar discussion here a few years ago and the subject turned to dental implants. One poster swore by a doctor in Sweden who had pioneered some of the techniques. On another Board someone told me you could get them cheaply at a good dentist in Buenos Aires. I'm still not sure how those can be done in one trip- it takes one visit to put in the little titanium plates with the threaded screws and my dentist actually did some bone grafts a few months beforehand to build up the jawbone. Then he had to "expose" the implants (tissue grows over them) a few months later and I finally got the actual false teeth put in after the sites healed. It took almost a year. But, given the price, I can see why people would want to go outside of the US for them.

My sole experience with outside-of-the-US dentistry was extraction of a tooth due to an abscess in Budapest (already root-canaled so that wasn't an option.) It was done flawlessly and was $78 including the X-ray.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:06 am

I live on the US/Mexico border, so I always take my dental needs across the border into Mexico.

The clinic that I go to has been in business since 1976 and almost 75% of the visitors are non-Mexican "dental" vacationers. I have had my wisdom teeth removed as well as had one of my molars root-canaled and fitted with 18k gold crown in under a day turnaround for about $450 in all. One of my friends recently had a three-unit permanent gold bridge installed for under $900.

PM me if you're interested in visiting the clinic. Their staff members do speak English and they do have an 800 number you can call for more information. They'll even accept most U.S. dental insurance.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:15 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
I was so impressed with my initial experience at Phuket Hospital (used to be known as Bangkok Phuket Hospital) that I now have all my dental work done there. The staff are exceptional, the treatments are all very modern, the entire hospital has recently been renovated and feels like a 5* hotel. As a foreigner, you get superb treatment -- and as others have said, the price is much, much cheaper than the US.

http://www.phukethospital.com/eng/center_dental.php

I wouldn't think of going anywhere else...
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:36 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
To bump a topic over a year old...

The time looks like it may finally come that I need to resolve a number of dental issues I've been having. Like SDF_Traveler, I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone has. Most importantly, I'm looking for a general idea on how costs compare to the US. I am acquaintances with a dentist in Tijuana, but if Tijuana prices are about 40-50% that of the US while Bangkok is 20-30%, I'd be more inclined to go to Bangkok since I've never been.

Many thanks...also, like SDF_Traveler, I'll state that PMs and e-mails are welcomed if you don't wish to post publicly.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:03 pm

"Medical tourism"

is the term I've found helpful when googling.
It's possible that "dental tourism" would be profitable for you.
R and I each travel to BKK for annual cardio checkups at BNH. We each get a full battery of tests (blood, sono, ekg, physical, stress, chest x-ray) and each of us has about a half hour of consultation time with an M.D., one of whose diplomas is from the Mayo Clinic, all for about a tenth of what we'd pay here in Cowifornia IF we didn't mind the wait to get an appointment in the first place...
However, when we had a promotional teeth-bleach session at the same BNH (I don't recall if x-rays were involved) I remember the dentist saying, as she probed, "You have a cavity in..." and then, obviously embarrassed, corrected herself, substituted....."you have a filling in "...when what she was tugging on was a totally sound amalgam. We were otherwise pleased with the whitening, but the gaffe "left a funny taste in my mouth"
YMMV
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:28 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
It is worth noting that while most attention to "medical tourism" focuses on cost, some "medical tourists" are looking for quality or experience with a particular condition or procedure. For example, certain cancers are rare in the US, but common in southern Chinese populated areas, so people in the US who get those cancers may go to Hong Kong or Taiwan for treatment due to the doctors being more familiar with those cancers. In the early days of LASIK, people sometimes went to Canada to have it done, since the most experienced LASIK doctors were in Canada at that time.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:52 pm

Oh, how ironic that I just happened to visit my Mexican dentist today for regular cleaning (only $25) that someone bumped this thread back up.

Anyone is welcome to PM me for more info about the clinic that I visit.

It is easy to get to the clinic, even from ELP. Just buy a ticket into ELP, take public transport from the airport to a local mall ($1.50 one-way or $0.75 for military), and connect to the clinic's free shuttle. They take US-drawn personal checks, major credit cards, USD or MXP cash, and even U.S. dental insurance.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I have dental insurance and I still get much of routine stuff done in India from a clinic near my family - because I am on vacation anyway and don't have to take time off, and because the are very competent, affordable and appointments are easy to get. Here I have to call one season ahead.

From a purely economic viewpoint, my educated guess is that Mexico or Central America would provide the best value for routine stuff. However, there is something to be said for going to a new place (be it India, or Thailand, or Eastern Europe) and adding to your life's experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.