The 5 Most Ridiculous SkyMall Products Money Can Buy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 5 Most Ridiculous SkyMall Products Money Can Buy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: skywards, BMI, Qantas, Hilton honours
i saw a lawn mower for sale in sky mall....any person thinking of buying a lawn mower while flying? i should tell them I want it and then see if they have it on the plane as im in a rush....

would be hilarious if they had it on board
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
On a useful note, they sell a cat water fountain by Hammacher-Schlemmer.

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...dorDirect=true

Our cat was not drinking much water and the vet suggested a fountain as cats prefer moving water.

We bought a different brand locally that just moved the water, there was no stream like this product has. Our cat still did not drink enough.

I bought the Hammacher model and she loves it. We catch her drinking directly from the stream. It helps her and amuses us. Its very cute.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: UAL 1K 1MM, Hilton Gold
Bluetooth hearing aids

The most ridiculous item I've seen is a hearing aid that looks like a Bluetooth ear piece. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I saw it in SkyMall or if someone told me that's where you'd find it if they made it!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by sfskier
The most ridiculous item I've seen is a hearing aid that looks like a Bluetooth ear piece. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I saw it in SkyMall or if someone told me that's where you'd find it if they made it!
See #1 from the piece quoted - you show great, er, taste, in picking the most ridiculous item.

In the end, it all comes down to the image you want to project. You have two choices:

Bluetooth Headset: “I am a very busy businessman. I’m even too busy to hold my phone while I’m using it! Also, don’t you think this thing kind of makes me look like Robocop? Admit it - I totally look like Robocop right now.”
Hearing Aid: “What? Sorry - I can’t hear.”
It’s your decision: Do you want to look like a deaf old man, or a dashing young half-professional half-Robocop?

What was that? Did somebody say “no-brainer”?

Oh, yeah - SkyMall did!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:26 am

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
Sky Mall Garden Gnome?

I keep checking the Sky Mall for an 18-24 inch wood Garden Gnome because if anyone would carry it, it would be Sky Mall. So far no luck. I would be willing to consider other materials for the Garden Gnome.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Today's SkyMall impulse purchases are tomorrows eBay bargains.

Or possibly guest stars in a Woot.com Bag O' Crap.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: SWA RR
Here's what I've never understood about SkyMall (OK, what I've never understood about me) -

I'm sitting at 30,000 feet, perusing SkyMall, and I see an item and think, "Wow - that is COOL. I'm going to get one." Often times Mrs. Apple will agree.

So I take the catalog home. But when I'm looking through the same catalog at ground altitude, nothing - and I mean nothing - seems worthwhile.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:24 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by Appletom
Here's what I've never understood about SkyMall (OK, what I've never understood about me) -

I'm sitting at 30,000 feet, perusing SkyMall, and I see an item and think, "Wow - that is COOL. I'm going to get one." Often times Mrs. Apple will agree.

So I take the catalog home. But when I'm looking through the same catalog at ground altitude, nothing - and I mean nothing - seems worthwhile.
LOL - so the items are much more appealing at a higher altitude? Good thing you weren't able to place an order while you were still ON THE PLANE! You got to 'ground level' and cleared your head.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:32 pm

Years ago a friend of mine bought a fake aquarium with magnetic fish that would "swim" around the magnetic board. I was embarrassed.

However, The hot dog toaster is still the most disturbing/obscene device I've seen in that catalog.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I don't know what Nos. 2-5 are, but the most ridiculous SkyMall product is Basho, The Sumo Wrestler: http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...d=102174152&c=
Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
I don't know what Nos. 2-5 are, but the most ridiculous SkyMall product is Basho, The Sumo Wrestler: http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...d=102174152&c=
From the product details: "Our table is topped with a 3/8"-thick, pencil-edged, 27" dia. tempered glass top for views from any angle.

A few years ago, I spotted a brandy distillation setup in skymall. I wanted it because it reminded me of organic chemistry lab. I didn't buy it then figuring I could locate it elsewhere cheaper.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by KOStradivarius
From the product details: "Our table is topped with a 3/8"-thick, pencil-edged, 27" dia. tempered glass top for views from any angle.

A few years ago, I spotted a brandy distillation setup in skymall. I wanted it because it reminded me of organic chemistry lab. I didn't buy it then figuring I could locate it elsewhere cheaper.
Seating your least favorite guest to face Basho's backside is a not-so-subtle way of expressing your feelings.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:37 pm

So no one mentioned "Jumpin' Jammerz" adult footie pajamas?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RonDace
I keep checking the Sky Mall for an 18-24 inch wood Garden Gnome because if anyone would carry it, it would be Sky Mall. So far no luck. I would be willing to consider other materials for the Garden Gnome.
Well, you can always make your own:

http://www.woodenmemories.com/gno2.htm
Old Jun 24, 2008, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
This is my favourite:

SkyRest Travel Pillow:
http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...981577&c=10980

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.