Strange Complaints from Fellow Pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Complaints from Fellow Pax

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by ELW
1) Recenlty, after arriving at MSY later than I would have liked due to traffic, I proceded to walk past the long economy check-in line to the 1st/Business/Status line, where there was one person in front of me. Someone in the long line angrily and loudly asked where the line was for people waiting for over an hour. Turns out the person in front of me was not in the correct line so was refused service until after I had been helped.

2) My very first flight many years ago, I was seated in the last row of the aircraft, which hit an air pocket. I could hear the drink cart and FAs being tossed around behind me. Then I hear the *chhkt* We are encountering some turbulence, FAs please take your seats. *chhkt*. To which I heard and FA reply "NO S**T!". I fell in love with the last row of seats until I found economy+!
On landing at EDI, I was also sat in the back row, and we landed really very hard... Comment from one crew member to another 'Well, that'll be us landed then!'
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by daeira
Not so much a complaint from a fellow passenger, but more of a personal complaint.

1. Fellow passengers who chew with their mouths open and smack their lips such that the chewing becomes so loud that the rows around the offending passenger can hear each individual morsel being masticated as the saliva works its way around the mouth. It's disgusting since I really don't want to hear your excessively loud chewing.
UGH UGH UGH. Open mouthed, loud chewing is my all-time biggest pet peeve, the one thing that's guaranteed to make me CRAZY. It's the most disgusting thing EVER. I've had to stop going out to lunch with certain friends because they have this habit and I just can't stand sitting across from them anymore.

And I once had a complaint from a fellow passenger about my height for "being short". The passenger ranted to me about how unfair it was that short people got more legroom and more space to negotiate in the seat therefore all short people should sit in all the middle seats and have all the tall people in windows and aisles
Over my 5'3, aisle-loving dead body I love my aisle seats!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by phedre
UGH UGH UGH. Open mouthed, loud chewing is my all-time biggest pet peeve, the one thing that's guaranteed to make me CRAZY. It's the most disgusting thing EVER. I've had to stop going out to lunch with certain friends because they have this habit and I just can't stand sitting across from them anymore. !
When they talk while eating that's even worse. Bits and pieces come flying out their mouth, and with with the help of good old Murphy's law, land in your food or that drink you were just about to take a sip out of.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
My guess is that it's diminishing eye sight--depth perception problems. My mom has avoided escalators for years because of this.
Probably exactly right. I'm in my late 40s, but have almost no right central vision. My depth perception for anything very close is almost completely shot.

Driving is OK, but I almost cannot catch a ball thrown to me.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jun 23, 2008 at 9:46 am
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cph_flyer
I was on this flight from Copenhagen to Berlin - a very short flight on the LCC Air Berlin. After we had landed, and was waiting to collect our luggage a guy next to me asked : " Do you know where we are ?" . Well "Berlin of course" I replied.
Better answer:

"Earth."
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by KIXman
When they talk while eating that's even worse. Bits and pieces come flying out their mouth, and with with the help of good old Murphy's law, land in your food or that drink you were just about to take a sip out of.
OK, it's a little off topic, but I have a friend who does this. Chews with her mouth open and talks with food in her mouth. It is so completely repulsive to me that I had to call her on it the last time she did it while we were eating, loudly at that. I embarassed my brother, who was eating with us and he chewed me out afterward, but I honestly couldn't stop myself. It was either say something or puke at the table. Either way, she quit.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Better answer:

"Earth."
Even better.

"Earth. 2008. Three days before the invasion."
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:02 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by beckduer
OK, it's a little off topic, but I have a friend who does this. Chews with her mouth open and talks with food in her mouth. It is so completely repulsive to me that I had to call her on it the last time she did it while we were eating, loudly at that.
Could you come with me to a neighborhood meeting? There's someone I'd like to introduce you to

I embarassed my brother, who was eating with us and he chewed me out afterward, but I honestly couldn't stop myself. It was either say something or puke at the table. Either way, she quit.
Yes, but did he do it with his mouth open?

DD
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by granuale
This pretty much sums up what is and has been wrong with the airlines (except JetBlue and Southwest) for quite some time - contempt for the customer.
There are other airlines that treat customers well. On Virgin America, no airline staff are allowed in First Class. If they are on the plane, the are in row 4 at best. This includes the CEO.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:35 am

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jcwoman
I have the same issue with people who enter a store, for example, who just enter the door and then stop cold. I understand if you need to figure out what to do next, but for criminy's sake step to the side so that you're not blocking the passage of other people entering the store. I see this happen so much and it drives me nuts. Occasionally my husband will do it too, but at least with him, I can physically (but gently) push him out of the way.
The people that do this at the top and bottom of escalators and moving sidewalks drive me insane. Especially since on an escalator you don't have the ability to stop your forward motion.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by mersk862
I've had several tall people shoot me nasty glances when passing by the exit row on flights when they see me (all of 5'6" 140 lbs) sitting at the exit row while they're stuck in a regular coach seat.

This is even more pronounced when on a CRJ-700 (which has a good foot of extra legroom in the exit row but the same horrible legroom in the rest of the plane).
My 5'7" frame booted someone (probably about 6'4") out of my 12A seat on a UA A319. Not only did he take my seat, he upgraded himself up from Economy to Economy Plus. I was traveling with a friend who had the middle. We had basically run to the plane and they shut the door behind us. When the guy said he wanted the extra room and he was behind us, I said to him that next time he ought to pay for it since those seats cost extra.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by beckduer
OK, it's a little off topic, but I have a friend who does this. Chews with her mouth open and talks with food in her mouth. It is so completely repulsive to me that I had to call her on it the last time she did it while we were eating, loudly at that. I embarassed my brother, who was eating with us and he chewed me out afterward, but I honestly couldn't stop myself. It was either say something or puke at the table. Either way, she quit.
I'm always appalled and surprised when I find adults eating like that. When my brother and I were tots, our mom fixed that habit quite easily: she stood a mirror on the dinner table in front of us while we ate and then preached: "that's what it looks like to us when you eat like that. What, you don't like looking at it? Neither do we. Don't do it."
Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:12 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Efrem
If you have a chance, check out the ones in the St. Petersburg (Russia) metro system. The city is full of rivers and canals, so the metro lines had to be dug very low to be under all of them - and, of course, some lines then have to run below others. The escalators are so long that you can become disoriented as to what is vertical: the people on the opposite one look as though they're leaning over. You wonder, subconsciously, what's holding them up.
A great deal of Moscow Metro stations are the same way. For somebody who has a depth perception issues, not the greatest feeling.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Hertz Gold
Connection Sprint

I just landed a few hours ago after connecting from BOS in YYZ. We were rain delayed out of BOS by 90 minutes, and I had a 120 min connection.

Upon landing, AC told us that the 4 ppl connecting to TLV were re-booked for tomorrow's flight. I decided to run it, so I sprinted across Pearson the rather long distance (reminds me of Schiphol) to the international gates in about 15 mins. I managed to arrive at the gate 10 mins before departure, with the doors still open and 3-4 PAX still to board. GREAT!! MADE IT!

Flight was overbooked by some 15 PAX, and even though I have AC Elite, they at first said there was nothing they could do as they'd given my seat away.

However, as minutes ticked by, it turns out that there was a rather drunk PAX waiting for the police to return his passport. A GA went onto the plane, spoke with the captain and they reached the decision not to board the drunk man and his family. That left 3 open seats. One went to a girl who was already there, the 2nd to me and the 3rd to another guy off of the BOS flight. A 3rd guy from BOS arrived and was told there was no chance for him. I felt bad for him, because apparently he was leaving on vacation with his family the next day...but hey...run faster next time!

Makes me glad I stay in shape. I just wish I'd remembered to bring a clean shirt in my carry-on for after the run.

Hope my bags arrive tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.