Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reciprocal Social Clubs - Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2008, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Reciprocal Social Clubs - Experiences?

A search revealed only a brief discussion of this concept. I am a member of a social club in NYC based on my alumni status. This club has reciprocal relationships with many clubs throughout the world. I've used this privilege a few times (brunch at the Kosmos in DC, dinner at the St. James in London) with good results. However, I don't have tons of experience, and these places are rarely discussed on tripadvisor, chowhound, etc.

I'm wondering what flyertalkers' experiences with reciprocal social clubs are. Of course we earn no miles, but it's potentially a unique way to enjoy a city while traveling. Any particular standouts? Were you made to feel welcome?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 12:39 pm

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
I've stayed at reciprocal clubs in Canada (YVR) and in the UK, both London and EDI. Other than the dress code, particularly in the UK, which could be a bit of a pain for holiday trips (i.e. the need to pack a jacket and tie for dinner or to use the public rooms) I've only had positive experiences. The staff tend to be longer term employees and generally better informed about their city than some hotel staff who can tend to be short-term or seasonal in some larger centres.

mpc1
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what do you mean by "social" club?

i used quintessentially to get dinner reservations at mortons club in london, and thought it was fantastic. IIRC it was one of the top ranked places on zagat for food and service.

there are other concierge companies and credit cards that offer similar access to various types of private clubs. (and there is quite a bit of discussion of those on FT.)
Old Jun 1, 2008, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
what do you mean by "social" club?

i used quintessentially to get dinner reservations at mortons club in london, and thought it was fantastic. IIRC it was one of the top ranked places on zagat for food and service.

there are other concierge companies and credit cards that offer similar access to various types of private clubs. (and there is quite a bit of discussion of those on FT.)
For example, there is the Kosmos Club in DC, which is a private dining club. The Philadelphia Club in Philadelphia. The St. James in London offers lodging and dining. I'm not particularly interested in concierge services, but FTers' experiences with such clubs in various cities.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some clubs, like mortons club in london, are listed on zagat/etc. i seem to recall reading about a fair number of london and NY clubs online.

i got an invite to a dinner at CORE: Club in NY from E0 (feel stupid for not going now) and i seem to recall they had a critically acclaimed chef there.

some club/hotels have come up on FT, like >

(i believe st james hotel & club in london is also publicly bookable)

- casa tua in miami - i seem to recall a quintessentially member said quintessentially could book a room, but they only discussed their dinner at the restaurant. (positive comments)

- casa casuarina in miami - i believe it used to be members only, but is now publicly bookable, and the mandarin oriental also offers daily access for a fee. (positive comments)

- soho house new york - also publicly bookable, and had some brief (negative) comments IIRC.

im not sure how many clubs you have access to, or whether it is through a network or individual partnerships. my point about concierges was that some, like quintessentially, and credit cards like amex centurion, have directories of partners, which include private clubs.

you might consider searching in that context, as i believe clubs have come up some. (like casa tua, and a club in tokyo IIRC)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.