Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never Flown before, Question Regarding Clearing customs

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2008, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Never Flown before, Question Regarding Clearing customs

I was curious, I am Canadian. I am flying out of Toronto, ontario (YYZ) to Tampa (TPA) with a Lay over in Detroit, Michigan (DET)for about 3 hours.
Now here's My question.. Do I have to clear customs twice ? Once at detroit, and once at Tampa ? Or do I just do it in Detroit and since i cleared it there, I just claim my luggage in Tampa and thats it? Or how does this work.. I will also be carrying my Medicines On me.. Not in my suitcase.. if that helps with part of the equation.. Thanks
Old May 23, 2008, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hertz PC
welcome to Flyertalk ...

flights from Canada are a little different than other international flights into the US .

you will clear US immigration and customs BEFORE boarding in Toronto ...
when you land in detroit it will be like you flew from another city in the US no customs/immigration .... (and of course the same will apply to Tampa)

Given that you will clear customs in Toronto you will keep your checked luggage until after customs and then hand it over to your airline before boarding and you will pick it up in Tampa. (nothing to do in Detroit)

Re medicine the only advice I would offer is to carry the proper medical documentation with you too (prescription) and in quantities related to your trip (don't carry a 6 month supply for a weekend trip)

Have a safe trip !
Old May 23, 2008, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick reply.. I appreciate it, and wonderful advice.. I appreciate it alot.. Thanks ^
Old May 23, 2008, 9:29 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
While it doesn't apply to your situtation, in general, you clear customs when you enter the country and not again after that. You are a domestic flight after your first landing in the US and would not have to go through customs twice.

Have a great trip, and welcome
Old May 23, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hertz PC
Originally Posted by starsurfer1378
Thank you for the quick reply.. I appreciate it, and wonderful advice.. I appreciate it alot.. Thanks ^
you are welcome ...

one more thing about medications .... like anything valuable (and that may be difficult to replace in a foreign country) keep it in your carryon luggage ... do NOT put it in checked luggage.
Old May 25, 2008, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Wink

yeah I was already planning on keeping my medications with me on the plane, instead of the checked luggage just in case they happen to lose my luggage. I couldnt have my meds replaced in time and it could cause me harm if i lost them.

But what about Medications in which I do not have a prescription for? Such as Tylenol With codeine, Which can be bought over the counter without prescription here in canada, however not in the USA. How do things like that, work?

Thanks Again
Old May 25, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by starsurfer1378
I was curious, I am Canadian. I am flying out of Toronto, ontario (YYZ) to Tampa (TPA) with a Lay over in Detroit, Michigan (DET)for about 3 hours.
Now here's My question.. Do I have to clear customs twice ? Once at detroit, and once at Tampa ? Or do I just do it in Detroit and since i cleared it there, I just claim my luggage in Tampa and thats it? Or how does this work.. I will also be carrying my Medicines On me.. Not in my suitcase.. if that helps with part of the equation.. Thanks
As mentioned above, you'll clear in YYZ on the way out, and then on your last segment before re-entering Canada (Detroit, going by your post). Go to YYZ early! I find the wait for customs at Pearson unusually long, and will always choose to fly straight from Montreal if I can.

Your tylenol should be fine, just keep them in the original container from the drug store.
Old May 26, 2008, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by phedre
As mentioned above, you'll clear in YYZ on the way out, and then on your last segment before re-entering Canada (Detroit, going by your post).
Wrong, Canada doesn't have a program like the US pre-clearence system... You will clear immigration/customs again in Toronto when going back from your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.