Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cheapest Way to Rent Car for Under 25 Y/O?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2008, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA and HH

I am 23 looking for a rental car at DTW for a weekend coming up in May. I found a few threads that have dated material as I soon found when trying to book a car through enterprise (surcharge of $14/day for 21-24 year olds). Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
A surcharge of $14 bucks is about as good as you're going to get. That's actually a really LOW surcharge compared to the other companies that will rent to under 25. I typically rent from Thrifty because I can often find a super cheap rate (we're talking $25/day for a convertible in Honolulu last month) and they are willing to rent to me being under 25. Good luck!

Halothane
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:15 pm
Original Member

If you join the American Bar Association, you can rent from Hertz without an underage surcharge.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I never had a problem renting from Enterprise when aged 18-24. The few times they attemted to add a charge, I argued and said it's never been done in the past and the website honestly showed no price difference based on my age. They waived it those few times.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman
If you join the American Bar Association, you can rent from Hertz without an underage surcharge.
By the time you went thru 4 years of law school and passed the bar, I think you'd be at least 25!!
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Since this isn't the latest frequent flyer program buzz -- but rather a general travel question (how to rent cars inexpensively when under 25 years old) -- I'll move this to TravelBuzz.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz moderator
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

very interesting re ABA. anyone can join >
General Associate: Individuals who are not admitted to practice law in any jurisdiction, but have an interest in the work of the American Bar Association. $175[per year]
Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:37 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Try Enterprise - it has been mentioned in the past that they do waived the underage fee.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
I under 25 but worked for an employer who has a corporate contract set up with Enterprise to allow for the under 25 fee to be waived. They provide a code for personal rentals as well. Does your employer have something set up with a rental company? The under 25 fee sucks.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
My school's travel dept has a contract with Enterprise. There's two codes, one for personal and one for work. If you're still in school, or are an alum, check the alumni assoc. website as well for any kind of code. I took my code, and set up an Enterprise Plus account, so they sent me a membership card, and i figured that way there would be less questions about anything. It also saved me a few bucks and got me a nice upgrade (from econ to small SUV).

If you're not in school or your school doesn't have one...
http://busops.osu.edu/travel_autohotel.php

We also apparently have a contract with National Car rental....
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
last year I did a google search for my son, dont remember the details.....but found a consolidator that rented 21-25 for a flat $20 per rental
Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i just did a search on orbitz for some week and the 21-24. did not see many premiums.

enterprise is not on the dfw list.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by slawecki
i just did a search on orbitz for some week and the 21-24. did not see many premiums.
I ran a quick search of Orbitz for a DTW rental for a 21-24 year old (something I did many times for myself before I turned 25). The search returns the following rental rules...I just quoted two of the cheapest options:

Originally Posted by Budget
*AGE SURCHARGE* -
25.00 USD PER DAY UNDERAGE SURCHARGE APPLIES TO RENTERS
21-24 YEARS OF AGE.
RENTERS WILL BE EXEMPT FROM THE UNDERAGE SURCHARGE IF
ONE OF THE FOLLOWING APPLIES -
-SELECT QUALIFYING CORPORATE ID
-GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE ID
-VOUCHER
Originally Posted by Avis
AGE SURCHARGE -
25.00 USD PER DAY UNDERAGE SURCHARGE APPLIES TO
RENTERS 21-24 YEARS OF AGE.
RENTERS ARE EXEMPT FROM THE UNDERAGE SURCHARGE IF
PRESENTING ONE OF THE FOLLOWING -
-AVIS CHARGE CARD.
-QUALIFYING CORPORATE ID.
-GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE ID.
-VOUCHER.
Orbitz doesn't include the premium in its quoted price, but you will most definitely be charged it when you rent the car. I tried to argue my way out of it with both Avis and Budget and the short answer I got was: "pay it or don't rent from us".
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
like mentioned earlier try your school's Alumni Association

I rented with Enterprise about a dozen times in FLL, ROC, ORD and PHX with no trouble at all... you can show your school ID, but to be honest nobody even asked me for mine.

--Russ
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Look in the hertz forum and you'll see the ABA code and it will waive the underage fee. I never had a problem with it and I'm not part of the ABA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.