Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody get sick day after a flight?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Vittorio Piacente
I believe 100% it is the lack of oxygen on the flight. I draw my conclusions on the facts, on how I feel also and how attendants turn down the oxygen levels to make everyone go to sleep and keep people on flight in control.
I have had to ask directly pls turn oxygen up....
You can save your breath. Attendants have no control over air pressure, which is set to the maximum the airframe is rated for and controlled by the pilots. Depending on the type of airplane, air pressure will be equivalent to that at 6,000 to 8,000 feet. The oxygen level is controlled not by the pilots or the attendants, but by the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:39 am

I thought it took 5-7 days before you showed symptoms of a virus or bacterial infection "caught" from someone. The Dr. recently mentioned that these re-hydration salts are supposed to be more helpful than just water alone.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
I've been traveling like crazy the last 18 months - double the usual amount and have noticed myself getting sick more frequently. This winter, I had some flu/heavy cold like symptoms at least three times and finally had enough of it and went to see my doctor to ask for advice.

While she didn't suggest anything ground-breaking, I decided to change how I approach flying by doing the following:
- packing disinfecting wipes and wiping all surfaces around my seat that I may touch (tray table, arm rests, TV screen)
- wipe my laptop or tablet if I put it in the seat-back pocket

I also decided to do something about the extremely dry air in the hotel rooms where windows don't open, as this dryness erodes the body's natural defenses. I find that soaking a big towel and hanging it near my bed is a good way to increase the level of humidity in the room.

ANd while I don't really believe in vitamins, I started taking them daily to give myself a bit of a boost.

We'll see if this works, but sitting passively and becoming sick time after time is too exhausting and annoying.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:15 am
Suspended

I suffer from allegies, and a couple times after longer flights I'd end up with a mild cold / sinus infection.

I started carrying a water bottle, which I would consume, then refill prior to the flight. I also stopped drinking alcohol on flights, and instead order a tomato juice in-flight.

(It has comparable vitamin C to OJ, the salt helps you retain fluids, and much less calories/sugar)

These steps, coupled with making sure to get a good night's rest on arrival, helped tremendously.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by sunnyjl
This seems to happen to me occasionally, and it's not jet lag...I'm talking about 2 hour flights. This has been going on since I started flying two-three days/week for the last four years.

There are times when I am sick for 1-2 days after flying...lightheadedness, headache, weakness, fatigue, slight nausea. This is a not a virus. It's the same thing every time, and it takes a couple days to get rid of it.

Anybody else experience this? I'm thinking sick air syndrome or something.
My Lyme doctor and RA doctor say it's mycoplasma infection.

The lower oxygen causes the bugs to quickly multiply. Heavy doses of Cipro gets me back on my feet in couple days.

I can't fly any more because I end up in ER or urgent care begging for antibiotics. Sometimes I was successful starting Cipro b4 the flight, but anything over 3 hours caused a major battle anyway with mycoplasma. Once the Cipro lowered the load, I was almost normal. Until then, I couldn't eat it get out of bed.

Symptoms are serious weakness, fatigue, no appetite, dizzyness, can't get out of bed and just sleep the whole time. No cold or allergy symptoms.

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 11, 2022 at 1:22 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
When I first started flying on a regular basis, I would often get sick following flights of any length... it was mainly traveller's diarrhea, but mixed in there were some other weird ailments... but after awhile I think I got used to it and the sucky feelings stopped for the most part.
Despite that, I often tell my clients that I'll be taking a day off to recoup before going back to their office.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: none
For those who think it’s just the air, remember that the air pressure in a plane is roughly the same as it is at a higher altitude, such as Colorado Springs. (If you’re picky, think Leadville)

Oxygen percentage at altitude is around 19%. Oxygen percentage at normal sea level is 19%.

The air in a plane IS a little bit thinner and drier, though
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by sunnyjl
This seems to happen to me occasionally, and it's not jet lag...I'm talking about 2 hour flights. This has been going on since I started flying two-three days/week for the last four years.

There are times when I am sick for 1-2 days after flying...lightheadedness, headache, weakness, fatigue, slight nausea. This is a not a virus. It's the same thing every time, and it takes a couple days to get rid of it.

Anybody else experience this? I'm thinking sick air syndrome or something.
Add Irritable and nasty and you get me while dehydrated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.