Using miles for Cuba?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using miles for Cuba?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Would there be a problem with using a US-based credit card in getting airline tickets to hvn from canada or mexico?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, Marriott Titanium & LT Platinum, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mlbcard
Would there be a problem with using a US-based credit card in getting airline tickets to hvn from canada or mexico?
There won't be a problem if you use a Canadian travel agent.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 1:16 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Thank you for the help guys ^ ^

Looks like it'll be a while before I visit Cuba, if at all.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
My friends from Virginia..flew through YYZ...

...however one issue to consider is when you are returning home from your winter trip to "Canada" how do you explain that amazing tan? They got a way with saying they were skiing all week in the sun...but be prepared to get the question. The real value of Cuba is to go to an all inclusive which are very cheap from Toronto. My friends just used their points IAD-YYZ and then booked an all inclusive using a Toronto travel agency. I have to say its one of the few things thats cheaper in Canada than in the US is all inclusive vacations, simply because we have charter airlines that service this business exclusively. Also you do not get a stamp in your passport, the only penalty is the 10% surcharge when changing $US. Have fun...Cuba is a nice place filled with very friendly people.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I've heard rumours of U.S. immigration/customs agents at YYZ somehow observing pax disembarking from Cuba flights (with the unofficial assistance of some Canadian customs/immigration people?) and then watching out for these pax who then subsequently preclear.

What I'd do, if I was an U.S. citizen, would be to book the cheapest all-inclusive in Mexico that I could find, just toss that whole stay, and fly to Cuba from Mexico (paying cash for the Mexico-Cuba tickets).

That might be a bit dangerous to do. It depends on how the flights are ticketed. You could be in trouble if say, you book on Cubana and the tickets are made as a charge from Cubana rather than the TA. Similarly, the ticket number could end up on your CC and could be traced if the government has it in for you.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Apr 11, 2008 at 11:10 am Reason: adding question mark
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I've heard rumours of U.S. immigration/customs agents at YYZ somehow observing pax disembarking from Cuba flights (with the assistance of some Canadian customs/immigration people) and then watching out for these pax who then subsequently preclear.
How about canadian immigration people - what do they say when an American arrives from cuba?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by mlbcard
How about canadian immigration people - what do they say when an American arrives from cuba?
Officially, it's none of their business. They should screen as they would any non-resident/citizen coming from anywhere else. However, there may be some officials who may agree with the U.S. embargo on Cuba and as a result report U.S. travellers to U.S. agents. Again, this hypothesis is based on rumours and other possible scenarios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.