Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Time to dump Flightmemory? (excessive ads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM

I just logged into flightmemory.com to add some flights and found it pasted with so much advertizing that my experience, well, it sucked.

Top, bottom, side ads. Talking ads ("Congratulations, you've been picked to win a new iPod!"). Ads that explode over the page when you move your mouse to the wrong place. Ads situated such that if you miss with your mouse by the tiniest fraction of an inch, you click on the ad. Ads that actually seemed to jam up my cursor for several seconds while they displayed stupid and uninvited animation (the Nevada ski ads).

It's too much. I love the cute maps too; but updating my stuff was such a traumatic experience that I think I might stop using it... not worth the psychological stress.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went and had a look at your flight memory.

No ads at the top.
No ads at the bottom.
No ads on the sides.
No talking ads.

Maybe it's time for you to upgrade to a real browser?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Less ads on flugstatistik.de (although still a few). Or you could support the site by subscribing (and getting ads free).
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by perezoso
I just logged into flightmemory.com to add some flights and found it pasted with so much advertizing that my experience, well, it sucked.

Top, bottom, side ads. Talking ads ("Congratulations, you've been picked to win a new iPod!"). Ads that explode over the page when you move your mouse to the wrong place. Ads situated such that if you miss with your mouse by the tiniest fraction of an inch, you click on the ad. Ads that actually seemed to jam up my cursor for several seconds while they displayed stupid and uninvited animation (the Nevada ski ads).

It's too much. I love the cute maps too; but updating my stuff was such a traumatic experience that I think I might stop using it... not worth the psychological stress.
Same thing here at FT.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by graraps
I went and had a look at your flight memory.

No ads at the top.
No ads at the bottom.
No ads on the sides.
No talking ads.

Maybe it's time for you to upgrade to a real browser?
True. The ads are fewer when viewing (but there are some at the top and right side).

Go try and build a map though....

I'd consider Firefox and/or Safari to be "real" browsers (not that it should make a significant difference, if the pages are well-designed).
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I just got an email from FlightMemory announcing a new advertising partner. In the email, FlightMemory says:

Still - there might be some ads, we all do not want. These include ads making
noise without interaction, ads which grow dynamicly, and so on. Just report
if you see one and we will act.
So it sounds like FlightMemory might be receptive to complaints about those annoying ads. That said, I went to the site and didn't see any ads at all, thanks to the ad blockers I have installed. Instead of dumping FlightMemory, why not go that route?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd consider Firefox and/or Safari to be "real" browsers (not that it should make a significant difference, if the pages are well-designed).

I can see absolutely no ads. Firefox is a real browser...just get ....... and it'll be sorted...
Old Feb 28, 2008, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Flightmemory is a neat tool for tracking flight history but isn't really the latest frequent flyer program buzz. I'll move this to TravelBuzz.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz moderator
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I just finished loading 3800 flights into Flight Memory. As you might imagine, that took some time. Aside from the Nevada Ad and the Ipod announcements, none of the other ads were a problem.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:13 am

looks fine on my Firefox browser
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I just finished loading 3800 flights into Flight Memory. As you might imagine, that took some time. Aside from the Nevada Ad and the Ipod announcements, none of the other ads were a problem.
You are a nut!

But, you are also the only other person I have ever met who has both been to Adak and taken the train from Arica to La Paz.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:07 pm
Suspended

I don't get it. Why would you bother with a site like this anyways?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
You are a nut! But, you are also the only other person I have ever met who has both been to Adak and taken the train from Arica to La Paz.
I wish I had taken that train ~ Alas, I've only flown that route between Arica at sea level and La Paz at 13,400+. I'm not sure whether we descended into La Paz or whether La Paz rose up to meet us! I did ride the train from Arica to Tacna, Peru though...

Originally Posted by thegeneral
I don't get it. Why would you bother with a site like this anyways?
You have to enjoy flying enough to have kept track of your flights and then desire to see what they all look like when loaded into into an online database.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 28, 2008 at 1:21 pm
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by graraps
I can see absolutely no ads. Firefox is a real browser...just get ....... and it'll be sorted...
Event though I don't use flightmemory, ....... is ^^^
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL GE
I just use google for my travel map - just type where I was, click Save to my map, give it some details and an icon depending on why I traveled there.

I even share my map with others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.