Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

US passport appointment - how long does it take?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I have an appointment at a US passport office because I need to travel in the next two weeks. The appointment is at 9:30 am. I've got no special circumstances; I just want a new passport ASAP, since my old one has too little validity remaining for a Chinese visa. What should I expect the appointment to consist of, and how long will it take until I have my new passport?

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:28 am

Be there 30 min earlier. They will give you a number before the interview. Usually waiting time about 45-120min. Reminder, you can choose the express option by paying extra $60 fee. It will expedited the next day. Probably, next day your passport is ready for pick up.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It depends on the office you are going to. If you don't meet the needs of that office (traveling within two weeks, don't have proof required, etc) the appointment may only be 2 minutes, with them explaining to you too bad, sorry, go away. Needing a visa is a valid reason for an appointment, but they may require proof of the trip to china to verify that.

If you meet all the requirements for in office service at that office, it shouldn't be that bad. They usually only issue numbers in fifteen minute segments, and at 9:30 in the morning they wouldn't have had a chance for it to start backing up all that bad yet.

Just make sure you have everything you need filled out and ready, I would guess probably a 15 to 30 minute wait at most, and 5 or 10 minutes as they go through your stuff.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I was under the impression that I could get my passport the same day. Is that possible?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:57 am

Yes, depending on your schedules; they may complete it same day for you. You'll need an intinerary and ask for same-day service. I dropped mine off at 10am, picked it up at 2pm in Denver. It was rather painless.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA GS
I was just at the SF passport office yesterday with my mother to pick up her passport. She met all requirements (traveling next week), went to an appt on Wednesday for the application process and had a will call appt yesterday for pick up. You can pick it up during one of two appt times (11a-12 or 3p-4). It's all very orderly, just be there on time.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:18 pm

For next day ready for pick up, it was in San Francisco Passport Agency. Pick up time from 12PM-1PM and between 4PM-5PM and at 6PM monday to friday.
As denverhockeyguy said, it required the itinerary to expedited the process.

For additional visa pages is free. I only paid for $60 express fee. Good luck.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:29 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by jjj8
I was under the impression that I could get my passport the same day. Is that possible?
I have done a same day passport at the Houston (last December) and the total cost was 157$. Got in at 8am (they never asked to see proof of travel though I had it living overseas it is not that hard to get) and I picked up my passport, with the extra page inserts, the same day around 2 PM.

Saw the same thing in late November at the Miami office with a friend.

Ciao,
FH
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jjj8
I have an appointment at a US passport office because I need to travel in the next two weeks. The appointment is at 9:30 am. I've got no special circumstances; I just want a new passport ASAP, since my old one has too little validity remaining for a Chinese visa. What should I expect the appointment to consist of, and how long will it take until I have my new passport?

Thanks!
You need get online to filled it up the passport application onto http://www.travel.state.gov/ It's should be very helpful to do filled it up the application then you can mail it to them. It's much easier for you instead go to Passport office. Because it's will be very extremely crowded to trying to get their passports. They will get your passport in the mail within 4 or 6 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.