Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What have you taken from the maid's cart?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What have you taken from the maid's cart?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2008, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Most of the toiletries are not worth keeping, in fact, just a hassle if you are flying and aren't checking luggage.
I assume you mean that you wouldn't be able to fit it all into your Kippie bag?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
How many of you have grabbed an item directly off of the maid's cart in a hotel hallway?...Has anyone else done this?
Yes, we help ourselves to what someone has called "small consumables" when we need them or when it is sclear we don't have enough. Usually it is shampoo, or extra pouches of coffee. As for asking, I'd her if she is easily located but I don't make a major effort to locate somebody.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:10 pm

don't hey resupply those things when they see the bottles half empty?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:19 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
Once took an iron and ironing board.
It was long ago when I was young and stupid.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:46 pm

One of the hotels I stay in has a bath and body works scent that I can never find in the store and I really enjoy it so I always grab extra when I stay there, if the maid is nearby I tell her that I got extra shampoo/conditioner/lotion from her cart....never had so much as a frown from a housekeeper, seems like a good many of them don't speak english and they just nod their acceptance of whatever it is I'm saying.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
... The question really is, "Who hasn't taken anything?"

Well, I haven't....and it seems several others haven't either.

I've found the maid cart laying around all the time

In the hotels I stay in, if the maids cart is laying around - chances are the maid is working nearby - so I find her and ask if I may have an additional ?????.

and I usually just help myself to some of the lovely shampoos and extra towels. You can never have enough towels in the room.

Agreed - but I either leave a note in the room requesting additional (and if, as an earlier poster suggested, the maids can't speak ENGLISH, they sure must be able to READ it, because I always get what I ask for) OR I call down and ask OR I catch the maid in the hall and ask. I figure if I was supposed to have more towels and shampoo they would already be in the room.

And of course, since none of these things are truly "free" - hotel rates continue to climb, which makes us FT'ers feel that we are more entitled to "extra's" which means .......
Old Feb 9, 2008, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA1P - Hilton Diamond
Just a few bottles of water... which were free anyhow (in a Shanghai hotel).
Old Feb 9, 2008, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think I can count on less than 5 fingers the times I've grabbed a shampoo off the cart - and that's because my room wasn't restocked. If the maid is there I mention I'm short; if the maid isn't (and they aren't always nearby) then I just take one bottle & head to my room. Was I going to go to the front desk to ask if it's ok? No. I assume they'll be fine with it & I don't need to take time from my day to head down there to ask. Would I ever take things like towels, robes, irons, etc? No.

Also, in terms of my time it was faster for me to snag one as I walked to my room to replace it than call housekeeping, listen to the phone ring a gazillion times, request the shampoo and hope that it does actually get sent up.

Bill Marriott mentioned one time that the hotels consider the shampoos, etc, to be ok/part of the costs. He was not ok w/ folk helping themselves to bigger items.

OVMV. Cheers.

PS - Shouldn't this thread be merged in w/ the other longer one about what have you taken from the hotel rooms?

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Feb 9, 2008 at 7:25 pm Reason: add ps...
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
I have only taken things that should have been stocked in the room, i.e. Shampoo, soaps, water, etc.

I did witness another person take a salad (wrapped I hope) that the maid had just cleaned out of another room. Gross!!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:56 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
extra coffee--once. I feel a little guilty taking somethig without asking since, in spite of another posters information, I am still not sure that the maids are not responsible for their supplies--I would certainly count supplies if I owned a hotel!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by wharvey
how much effort is it to ask the person who's cart it is if you can take the item?
On the West Coast? Hrmph- No Habla Espanol, so I can't!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gungadin
I am still not sure that the maids are not responsible for their supplies--I would certainly count supplies if I owned a hotel!
I think you'd have a revolt (and rightly so!) if you asked housekeeping staff to keep a detailed inventory of exactly where each shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, hand lotion, toilet paper roll, tissue box, in-room magazine, sugar packet, creamer, teabag, coffee packet, etc. was used and when.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I'll grab a towel or plastic dirty clothes bag here and there. I won't try to avoid the maid and will ask if I can find her/him. Most of the time it results in a confused look when I am not speaking a language understood by him/her, and they just kind of fan their hands open palmed to the cart.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The usual. Soap, shampoo, sometimes an extra ballpoint pen.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:37 pm

Just Towels.

I always ask first whenever possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.