Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What have you taken from the maid's cart?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What have you taken from the maid's cart?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2008, 6:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
At the Torrey Pines saw a guy swipe a bathrobe from the cart. The maid saw him do it too. She went after him, it was pretty funny. Huge difference between a bottle of shampoo and $99 robe.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 7:04 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I wouldn't take something from the trolley - to me, that crosses the line between 'liberating' and 'thieving'.

Not that I can be holier than thou about that sort of thing, given I have a 'thing' for logo'd teaspoons half-inched from flights and railways...
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: DL GE
I've wanted to take the maid...

Seriously, and show her that tucking in my sheets and putting the spread and extra pillows that I had hid in the closet - is NOT what she should be doing...

But nevertheless, I am too nice and can't find it in my heart to complain..
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Extra packets of coffee...

...to me decaf is an oxymoron so when I need more caffiene and plan on having a leisurely a.m., I have been known to liberate an extra packet or two.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:02 pm

Not quite the same thing, but when there's a room service tray sitting outside a room I've been known to take the little flower they bring with breakfast and bring it to my wife
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Occasionally a shampoo if it hasn't been restocked in my room. Cheers.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Why does it seem there are so many postings about taking things in hotels, etc. of late. If you want something, why don't you just ask for it?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by PDW5000
Why does it seem there are so many postings about taking things in hotels, etc. of late. If you want something, why don't you just ask for it?
Because.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
If I am short a towel, I will do so. In this post-911 world where many a sewing kit or nail clipper has been pinched by TSA, sewing kits are particularly welcome. If the maid is anywhere in sight, I will ask and then tip. Sometimes if no maid is in sight, and certain items in my room have not been replaced (i.e., out of shampoo), I will take and not tip.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA back down to Blue, PC Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Occasionally a shampoo if it hasn't been restocked in my room. Cheers.
Crowne Plaza, ZQN. Shampoo not restocked, take one from cart. Next day not restocked, cart has run out too. As has cart on next level, etc. They were obviously rationing them and hoping to get through
Old Feb 8, 2008, 3:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Or maybe too many people take them from the cart.

Personally, I cannot imagine not asking.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

If I need something and I see a maid's cart in the hallway, I assume that the maid is nearby. I look around to see what room is being cleaned and ask the maid for the item. It would not occur to me to just dip into the cart without asking.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I only take towels (and I leave them in the room when I checkout).

And it isn't stealing, it's doing them a favor as I don't have to call housekeeping, thus saving extra labor on their part.

Most of the toiletries are not worth keeping, in fact, just a hassle if you are flying and aren't checking luggage.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 4:18 pm

The question really is, "Who hasn't taken anything?" I've found the maid cart laying around all the time and I usually just help myself to some of the lovely shampoos and extra towels. You can never have enough towels in the room.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deubster
A couple of years ago I worked on a project installing wired and wireless internet for several major hotel chains, and looked at hundreds of maid supply closets. They all had boxes full of the amenities, and all the maids would just come in and grab what they needed to fill the cart. So, no, they can't possibly be held accountable.
Based on my experience having worked in hotels:
Usually, the only things that will be tracked are robes and minibar items (though minibars are usually stocked by someone from room service and not by housekeeping). Occasionally, higher end bath products (for suites, etc.) will be locked up on the cart/in the closets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.