Wiki Posts
Search

More clueless people

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

More clueless people

So I'm sitting in seat 1D sipping my Bloody Mary, and I'm watching the folks board. Invariably, there will be someone who starts at the front, looks at his boarding pass, looks up at the number of the row, and then moves to the next row and does it again.

I mean, the BP says 26E. Don't you think they'd catch on pretty quick that the rows are in numerical order?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Maybe it's the first time their BP had numbers on it?

I hate it too.

What row are we in?

Oh, this is 2.

What row did you say?

OH, 23 more to go.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
I have a bit of sympathy for people who pause at the start of their "ticketed cabin" for that...only because so many airlines have different numbering schemes.

On AA, the first row of F can be either 1 (777, 762, 752, AB3), 2 (763) or 3 (738, MD80); the first row of Y is 20 (777), 17 (767), 9 (752), 7 (738, MD80) or 4 (AB3). The row numbers "skip" on the 757, 767s & 777. DL is even worse, I've found...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Not as clueless, but close... a trio of people holding up the line because they could not decipher that ABC is window/middle/Aisle in the little picture.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: AF; DL; & SQ FF Programs
Originally Posted by BigLar
So I'm sitting in seat 1D sipping my Bloody Mary, and I'm watching the folks board. Invariably, there will be someone who starts at the front, looks at his boarding pass, looks up at the number of the row, and then moves to the next row and does it again.

I mean, the BP says 26E. Don't you think they'd catch on pretty quick that the rows are in numerical order?
Since we are talking clueless people here...anyone having to take things off, in the security lines, i.e. belts, jewelry and etc. are pretty clueless.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:26 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
I have very little tolerance for all these types. And thats why I turn on my iPod, sip my predeparture drink and read my magazine so I don't have to witness all this.
In regard to security lines, and Ma and Pa holding them up, there is very little I can do, and I do choose carefully which lane I go to when I have a choice (more people with lap top bags and less strollers).
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:35 am

What about people who don't get Seat # and Gate #?

Twice already this year I have seen the FA get involved. I eavesdrop and it usually plays out like this:

Pax 1: you're in my seat. My BP clearly says D26
Pax 2: Well my BP also says 26D. It appears we have been double booked, let's get the FA
FA: Passenger 1, your gate was D26. You are seated in 9A. You will need to wait until everyone sits down so you can move upstream to your proper seat and there is no room for your carryon up there.

I think one time 3 people thought they were in B9 since we were at gate B9.

They make it pretty easy...gates are typically letter first, seats are number first...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by asnovici
I have very little tolerance for all these types. And thats why I turn on my iPod, sip my predeparture drink and read my magazine so I don't have to witness all this.
I agree with you re little tolerance and not wanting/needing to witness the Clueless Kettles, but I *do* watch everything like a hawk until the aircraft doors are closed, in order to defend against an unsolicited late-boarder even CONSIDERING moving my bag from its rightfully-occupied-first-because-I-boarded-first-dammit location in the overhead directly above and across from my assigned seat.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by APW Girl
Since we are talking clueless people here...anyone having to take things off, in the security lines, i.e. belts, jewelry and etc. are pretty clueless.

I will bite, I remove my wallet, watch and belt (but on my defense I do it very quickly and sometimes don't even wear my belt to the airport and simply wait till I am past security), anything to avoid setting the TSA guys on 'high alert mode'

On the other side, my 'stupid' award goes to a guy who (after a horrible 6 hours delay in EWR and almost overnight at the airport along with thousands of stranded passengers) thought that I was at his seat (making me stand up to explain "see.....D,E,F , D is here ,mine is F" ) and then he claimed exclusive ownership of the pillow/blanket that were sitting on the middle seats, I almost ran him over when he said "mine!" making me say "fine" while putting 'HIS' pillow/blanket in the seat, then a "MOVE" while I stormed out of the seat to grab the pillow/blanket sitting right behind our row

Last edited by wolfie_cr; Jan 23, 2008 at 1:38 pm Reason: no need to mention nationality I supose :)
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by cordelli
Maybe it's the first time their BP had numbers on it?
A not so veiled swipe at WN travelers?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
I will bite, I remove my wallet, watch and belt (but on my defense I do it very quickly and sometimes don't even wear my belt to the airport and simply wait till I am past security), anything to avoid setting the TSA guys on 'high alert mode'
You leave your belt in your carryon? Don't you know that that could be used a as a weapon? (sharp metal objects, etc.)

Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Approximately two years ago on a PDX-YVR sector after touching down, the person behind me asked which airport are we in right now.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I try to imagine that these pax are like my elderly once-a-couple-of-years flier father, and to have some sympathy for what is a confusing experience to folks who don't fly regularly.

I don't always succeed with that as much as I might wish, but it's worth trying.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jan 23, 2008 at 4:30 pm
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I try to imagine that these pax are like my elderly once-a-couple-of-years flier father, and to have some sympathy for what is a confusing experience to folks who don't fly regularly.

I don't always succeed with that as much as I might wish, but it's worth trying.
My sentiments exactly. ^
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Here's a list I "put together" ()from a previous thread on this topic:

1. People who take literally weeks to check in (I am always done in 1 minute)
2. People who leap to their seat after seatbelt sign is switched off even though they cant go anywhere for 10 minutes
3. People who take over 2 pieces of hand luggage (check-it you muppetts)
4. People who recline their seat on shorthaul
5. People that can’t count and stop at every second row to see if they have reached 99Z yet
6. People who walk down the aisle with a large rucksack hanging of one shoulder bang every seat and person in it without noticing it.
7. People that put their bags under their seat so that the person behind has no leg room. (Sorry to the lady in front of me from Billund on Thursday, I guess your kid has new flat lego to play with)
8. Crisp packets! In the lounge and on the plane. I hate the noise of people eating one at a time for a bout half an hour
9. People that don’t know where they are going and just stop at the end of every moving walk way, escalator to look around.
10. Knobs who think that it is just find and dandy to read write text messages walking up the bridge form the ac whilst walking at 1mph in the middle oblivious to those stuck behind them.
11. They YEH I HAVE JUST LANDED AT LHR, YEH I HAVE BEEN AWAY crowd how shout this down the phone as soon as they land.
12. People who shout at their phone in the lounges.
13. Parents with 4 6’4” 16 year olds who pre board.
14. People with so much hand luggage or hand luggage that is so heavy the expect others to help them with it. If you can’t carry it then check it in please.
15. People who sit in your assigned seat and then say well it doesn’t matter just take mine back 6 rows…..
16. Mr 99Z who puts his bags above 1A and wonders to the back of the plane.
17. Idiots who put their passports away in the inside pocket of their wallet and then put it in the secret inside pocket of their bag and look all surprised when asked for it at the gate.
18. Idiots who like to remove the actual ticket from the boarding pass and have to rummage around for it before they are allowed on.
19. Parents with children in WT/WT+ who let them run up and down the Club isles
20. People who use headphones as loudspeakers (how DEAF can they be??)
21. Americans that SHOUT
22. People who try and blag their way into lounges when they have no right
23. People who seem to drag everything out of their bag to find their well hidden BP and passport despite the fact the boarding announcement asks for people to have them ready
24. The grand cell phone turn on and pointless phone calls
25. People who just fanny about in general. In particular I prefer not to dawdle from the plane to immigration, after all you can save yourself around 150 places if you hurry up. People just seem to idle about in the middle of the damn walkway or corridor
26. Fat people sitting next to me
27. People who want to talk to you just because you're sitting next to them
28. People who start knocking back the free piant stripper disguised as champagne just becuase they're in business
29. People who don't realise that row 20 is just after row 19 and is followed by row 21
30. People who stand still on aiport travelators (usually with a roll-on piece of hand-luggage the width of a 747). I have to suppress the urge to inform them that there are no fluffy animals playing instruments or other entertainment while on the ride.
31. Parents who fly F, stick the kids in J and the nanny in 42EF (this on a 747) and then expect said maids to cater for childrens/parents every whim throughout the flight....much to the annoyance of the passengers in 42 D & G and the cabin crew.....
32.The asshat who walks round the lounge with his boarding card sticking up out of his shirt pocket. The one with 1A clearly displayed.
33. Babies and small children in J/F
34. Dumbos who block the aisle when they're trying to stuff their bag in the overhead bin.
35. People who take half an hour to check in (especially if they are in one of the few business queues) - I always manage to do it within 3 minutes...
36. Parents who stuff thir offspring with so many crisps and sweets and other junk, that they throw up during the night on a red-eye (right across the aisle from you)
37. Anybody from another class who comes through your cabin to use the toilets (because there is too much fo the queue to use theirs...).
38. When sitting in economy, anyone behind who has to LEVER themselves up by grabbing hold of and hanging off of the back of your seat. Or people who walk to the lavatory by grabbing hold (and releasing) each seat either side of the aisle as they go...
39. People who do not take everything out of their pockets prior to getting to the x-ray machines and spend 5 minutes seaching each pocket to get it all out
40. Watching people spending ages getting their hand luggage into the overhead lockers and just oblivious to everyone behing them waiting to get into the plane
41. Adults who stroll down the aisle with oversize bags banging into you whilst you're sat in an aisle seat
42. The passenger at SFO who while waiting in his 300 person line for World Traveller decided to tell lean into the J line as I approached and tell me that I was in the wrong line and that was for business class passengers only....maybe it was the flipflops, shorts and sailing club T-shirt that got to him....Maybe a slightly disgruntled business traveller whose company didn't think him worthy enough to fly in J.
43. Students who think it is their right to fly in J and as such turn up wearing all kinds of crap like flipflops, shorts and sailing club T-shirt. They then snarl at the people not flying in the same cabin
44. People who adorn their luggage, both checked and carry ons with pointless status tags. The couple I saw in their mid 50s had some BA Blue (what good do they do!?!?) and Silver tags with expiry dates in the early 1990s!!!! Almost as worse as people who attach American Express Platinum and Centurion tags....so very gauche!

*This wasn't all my work. It came from a thread about things that any you when flying that I concocted into this. This disclaimer exists because the last time I put in on here I got the PM equivalent of hatemail!

Originally Posted by CO FF
On AA, the first row of F can be either 1 (777, 762, 752, AB3)
You be the clueless one! The first row of F on the AA 762 is 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.