Reload this Page >

Cabin crew caught unaware of landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin crew caught unaware of landing?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:27 am

jetBlue and Virgin America make announcements. As does United and KAL.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
I have seen it. I think the approach was very quick -- quicker than normal. But a FA was still walking around the aisles, checking seat belts, overheads, etc when we touched down. Yes, she seemed surprised.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:37 am

I've never seen an FA up at landing but I did have an FA on a flt out of LAX where the FA was taking drink orders before take off. I was in the last row of FC on a 737, and we had just made the turn to line up on the runway. I told her to strap in as it looked like we were taking off, just then it was throttle up. She made it back to her seat by the galley as we were barreling down the runway.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by toadman
I've never seen an FA up at landing but I did have an FA on a flt out of LAX where the FA was taking drink orders before take off. I was in the last row of FC on a 737, and we had just made the turn to line up on the runway. I told her to strap in as it looked like we were taking off, just then it was throttle up. She made it back to her seat by the galley as we were barreling down the runway.
same thing returning from the do this past w/e. we made the turn onto the active runway and when the engines started spooling up, the f/a high tailed it "rather quickly" to the b/c jump seat.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Then maybe it was the pilots who were taken surprise by the landing.
This may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. Years ago I used to fly to TLV a lot through AMS. The return flight left TLV at dark-o-thirty in the morning, so we had to get up around 2:30 or so. On one of these flights, I used the forward lav. In those days, it was common for KLM to leave the cockpit doors open. It was early dawn, so I strolled up to get a forward view. Both pilots were sound asleep! We landed about 45 minutes later, and the landing was so hard that the purser announced, "welcome to Amsterdam after our VERY POSITIVE landing". I know that planes can land themselves, and to this day I wonder...
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
I know that planes can land themselves, and to this day I wonder...
Actually, from what I've read, the auto-lands are generally more firm than your average "hands-on" landing. That being said, I was also on an AA flight into DFW a while back where the crew was still up and about moments before touchdown. I think the last flight attendant got buckled just as the wheels touched. No verbal announcement from the cockpit.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:28 pm

Never seen it on landing.

I did see an instance on take-off where, as we were taxi-ing down the runway, someone's flight attendant call button went on with a ding. The flight attendant came on to explain how to turn it off. 10 or 15 seconds later they repeated it. Then I think they must have turned it off themselves, figuring it was a mistake, and said that if there was an issue that needed immediate attention please ring it again. It dinged on again, and a flight attendant got up and made her way to the back. We were still relatively steeply pitched and she was relying on the seatbacks to get there.

Never did figure out what was going on back there in coach. She came back up front a short time later and got strapped back into her seat, and nothing came of it, so I suppose it was nothing that was truly an emergency.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:07 am

Programs: CO Platinum
I do not believe that I have ever heard a CO crew miss the announcement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.