intl business class in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

intl business class in the US

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:05 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Best transcon product right now, IMHO, is CX JFK-YVR (at least in F or C).
But, it's not domestic US route.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by etch5895
Delta, for one, offers flights from ATL to LAX and back on both their 767 and 777 aircraft that are continuing on to international destinations. I've been on the DL 777 from ATL-LAX that was continuing on to either Tokyo or Beijing (after I got off in LAX), and it was their premium product. I had a similar ride on the return flight on a 767 that was continuing on to Buenos Aires (after I got off in ATL). So, there are a few flights out there but not many.
DL also has regular 777 service between ATL and JFK. One caveat is that these DL flights do have the true "int'l" Business Elite cabin, but the service is regular domestic F-class standard, not the service you'd get in the same cabin on an int'l flight.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver, CO Silver, AA, Wyndham ByRequest
There are some instances where you can get similar treatment.
Along those lines, AA flies three class 777's from DFW-ORD that continue on to London.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
PAL flies LAS-YVR and sells tickets for the route. OBviously the US gov't regs do not apply; perhaps there are other US-Canada routes like this?
Used to be quite a few 5th freedom flights but they're becoming unpopular as people want non-stops.

PR used to serve YVR-EWR (suspended by U.S. authorities due to alleged poor a/c maintenance) before starting YVR-SFO and then shifting it to YVR-LAS. CX used to fly YVR-SFO before suspending that then adding YVR-JFK. TG used to have a dedicated A300 based in SEA that would alternate between SEA-YYZ and SEA-NYC.

JL has long has YVR-MEX.

BA used to have YUL-DTW or some route like that as well as JFK-YUL (as part of MAN/BHK-JFK-YUL). I seem to recall RG and AR having JFK-YUL/YYZ in the past.

QF used to fly YVR/YYZ-HNL and now fly SFO-YVR.

I think El Al may have or had YYZ-LAX.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by stut
Apart from the whole of the EU!
Maybe because the E.U. is foremost an economic entity rather than a political one. 8th freedom/cabotage is because airlines of member states have equal rights in all member states (or should have), and the member states are still sovereign countries (at least for now).
Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I once flew on a JAL 747 from Kona to HNL! Probably the nicest 30-minute domestic US flight I've ever taken.

Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
DL also has regular 777 service between ATL and JFK. One caveat is that these DL flights do have the true "int'l" Business Elite cabin, but the service is regular domestic F-class standard, not the service you'd get in the same cabin on an int'l flight.

Absolutely correct. The standard domestic first meals and amenities. But...a nice way to cross the country nonetheless.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Smailtronic
Along those lines, AA flies three class 777's from DFW-ORD that continue on to London.
The hidden gem on these routes is that the J cabin is sold as Y for the DFW - ORD and ORD - DFW segments; if you have status with AA, you can pay a Y fare and sit in J seats (with Y service).

The best part is that if you manage to get the upgrade, you get a flagship suite (AA intl F - arguably the best international F product of any domestic carrier) - an excellent use of upgrade stickers.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
I too recently discovered the beauty of the rare domestic 3-cabin 777 flight. I've run searches and found various posts listing many domestic 3-cabin 777 runs for a particular airline but haven't come accross a comprehensive and recent list. Could someone point me to one or take a stab at making one? I know of AA doing it from ORD to MIA and UA from IAD to DEN but am looking for all the rest. Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:50 pm

There are some instances where you can get similar treatment.

Delta, for one, offers flights from ATL to LAX and back on both their 767 and 777 aircraft that are continuing on to international destinations. I've been on the DL 777 from ATL-LAX that was continuing on to either Tokyo or Beijing (after I got off in LAX), and it was their premium product. I had a similar ride on the return flight on a 767 that was continuing on to Buenos Aires (after I got off in ATL). So, there are a few flights out there but not many.
Delta also has a flight from ATL to JFK (DL16) which goes on to BOM. It's a 777 with Business Elite. Leaves ATL around 4.30 PM, the return from JFK to ATL is early in the morning.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
In summers past, UA has run an 8:10 a.m. 777 departure ORD/SEA. Whether or not they will do it again, I do not know, but we have been able to stand by from a later flight and get upgraded to business on that flight quite a number of times.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:43 am

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
NW flies MSP-HNL on the same A330s used for Euroflights. Same "pseudo C" as on CO's EWR/IAH-HNL flights- no amenities, menus, or other int'l services. Look forward to plus-sized, loud, and generally unpleasant over-the-hill flight attendants.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Last time I checked, AA's intl. 777s fly DFW-MIA and JFK-MIA, and UA has international widebody flights on transcons out of IAD to LAX and SFO.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Uhhhhh...I'm not too sure about that.

I fly DL F class a couple times a year and I don't agree that F service on the B772 ATL-JFK flight (continuing to BOM) is in the same league as domestic F class on other DL flights. Now, I have not flown DL international so I can't compare F-domestic versus J-international but I have flown F-domestic plenty of times. The difference is like night and day. Wineglasses are kept full and coctails are refilled (it's just a 2-hour flight). Also, silverware is used during the "light meal" service. On other domestic segments I have flown, DL uses plasticware for plates and cups (even when offering wine during the flight!!!). The FAs tend to disappear after meal service on other DL flights and I have had to use the call button numerous times to get refills. I think DL is typically very "cheap" when it comes to F cabin service for the rest of the domestic network.

Conversely, the domestic F class on NWA is far superior in this respect (except, perhaps, when it comes to the DL ATL-JFK B772 flight)!

just my .02 cents...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.