Reload this Page >

"Can you just climb over me? I don't feel like moving."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Can you just climb over me? I don't feel like moving."

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 3:50 pm

A friend of mine flew from FLL and he has a similar story to tell...

He is in his 60s... Heavyset... Got onto the plane in a wheelchair due to an earlier diabetes episode at the gate... Had the window seat... During the flight, he asked the lady next to him if she could excuse him as he needs to make a trip to the bathroom... It was a 2.5 hours flight... And she turned and asked my friend "Can't you hold it?"...

My friend must have replied "would u like to hold it for me???" or "would u mind if i do it here???"

Can't imagine there are people like that... And more appalling to learn that there are quite a number of them too!!!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 3:51 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by robb
Just to be clear, this thread is now the number one google hit for the word "grolleys"
oops,
I only told it using the same words my mate used when he told it to me!
just blame me for being English!

anyway faaaaar worse is being in the middle 2 of 4 in CW on a 777 at least you are only stepping over peoples legs but the comments are far more abusive
Old Jan 14, 2008, 4:13 pm
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Also, I've had two relatives die of DVT's after long haul flights, all the more reason to emphasize walking around. For that reason, when I board I tell my window side seatmates not to hesitate to disturb me any time they want to get up.
Sorry to hear about this Gargoyle. Your post gets the point across about DVT, much more than the blurb in the back of the in flight mag.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by vesicle
A 300lb Green Dragon asking me to move? I'd be up in a flash without hesitation.
And you would think that to be a fairly universal reaction, wouldn't you?
Old Jan 19, 2008, 7:44 pm

Programs: AF-PC; UA Plat ; QA Gold; Etihad Gold ; EK Silver; HH Diamond; Accor Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat; Mov G
window seat blues

I've had pax very reluctant to ask me to move when they are in window or centre - in fact I notice some seem to wait till I move _ but I seem moving when they need exit is my responsibility - whenever they need it.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 3:23 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Tony_B
I've had pax very reluctant to ask me to move when they are in window or centre - in fact I notice some seem to wait till I move _ but I seem moving when they need exit is my responsibility - whenever they need it.
Sometimes when I'm in the window I'll wait until someone else moves. Not because I am reluctant to ask, but because it's just easier sometimes.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:16 pm

Never heard "grolleys" before, and I'm British. Probably a regional variation of "goolies". All a load of balls anyway

Like one of the posters above I'm a fan of high liquid throughput anyway, and especially when flying. Getting rid of the stuff is also a good excuse to stand up and go walkabout on long flights. Last time (overnight NRT-FRA) I requested an aisle seat as always, but made the mistake of forgetting to ask for one on the centre block, and of course my neighbours were two gents of somewhat elderly disposition who needed to get up and "go" every 30 minutes...

When I end up in a "blocking position" on overnight flights I generally try to communicate to the people next to me that on the offchance I'm asleep, they're welcome to prod me awake (because I'll wake up anyway when they climb over me).
Old Jan 20, 2008, 5:21 pm

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
Originally Posted by UNITED959
The ability to fart on demand comes in handy for times like these.

What a jerk.
When I read the OP's post that is exactly what came to mine. But the collateral damage of the poor lady in the middle, for shame if she had to get a whiff.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:31 am

Programs: NW Plat, HH Gold
I try to avoid window seats at all costs and always want the aisle. I also accept the fact that those in the middle or window seats will need to use the lav during a flight. When I am stuck in the window, I generally try to time it for when the aisle person gets up just because it is easier but if that does not happen, I ask politely. If I were to be rebuffed, I would cease with the niceties.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:12 am

What's wrong with just climbing over the guy? Is that really so hard? Some of you seem to be making a big deal out of nothing. I don't think that the guy in the aisle seat is being rude at all by simply asking you to climb over him.

If I'm sitting in the window seat, I'll happily climb over someone when getting up. But perhaps having lived in Asia for several years, I've forgotten how extreme Americans are about personal space. Heavens forbid you may accidentally touch the guy while scooting past him to get out of your seat. I mean, he might have COOTIES or something, right?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:35 pm

You sure the guy wasn't trying to get his jollies with you stepping on his grollies?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 8:07 am

Programs: CO
Originally Posted by thor0176
What's wrong with just climbing over the guy? Is that really so hard? Some of you seem to be making a big deal out of nothing. I don't think that the guy in the aisle seat is being rude at all by simply asking you to climb over him.

If I'm sitting in the window seat, I'll happily climb over someone when getting up. But perhaps having lived in Asia for several years, I've forgotten how extreme Americans are about personal space. Heavens forbid you may accidentally touch the guy while scooting past him to get out of your seat. I mean, he might have COOTIES or something, right?
Well, yes, it is that hard to climb over someone. I'm not overweight, but I'm also not young, and straddling his knees while maneuvering into the aisle would require me to hold onto his headrest to keep from falling head-first into his lap.

If he really, really wants an older-middle-aged woman playing "lap dance" for him, I'm sure there's an establishment in any city of his choice where he can pay for that.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:20 am
Suspended

"For shoulder room.

On a related note, why pick a window seat if you're going to close the window?"

Because I want it to be dark. Pretty simple explanation.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by thor0176

I'm short. I physically cannot climb over someone without standing on them on my way over and/or hanging off of the seat in front when sitting in Y. Since neither is an actual option (especially not hanging on the seat of the person in front, how had nothing to do with the situation), it behooves the person in the aisle seat to let me out.

That being said, I try for aisle seats and haven't had a non aisle Y seat when the aisle seat wasn't a traveling companion in years.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
Originally Posted by redbeard911
I forgot the original post...I'm still laughing at "grolleys"
Me too!

I have the same short problem. I had someone ask me to step over once, and I pointed out that at 5' 1", I'm really not able to step over very much. In fact, if I had to try that, the person would more likely end up with something resembling a lap dance than stepping over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.