Reload this Page >

"Can you just climb over me? I don't feel like moving."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Can you just climb over me? I don't feel like moving."

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
On a related note, why pick a window seat if you're going to close the window?
I almost always pick a window seat because I find it easiest to sleep leaning against the wall with my pillow.

And I always feel guilty getting up; I try to get up when the person in the middle seat is getting up anyway. Still, the guy that the OP encountered is a jerk.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; UA 2P
Originally Posted by mecabq
I almost always pick a window seat because I find it easiest to sleep leaning against the wall with my pillow.

And I always feel guilty getting up; I try to get up when the person in the middle seat is getting up anyway. Still, the guy that the OP encountered is a jerk.
Agreed -- I always pick window seats if they're cross-country flights I expect to sleep on... but then I expect to sleep the whole way and not have to climb over anyone.

I don't know that refusing to get up is as inconsiderate to others as just stupid for yourself, given the obvious likelihood that someone will step on you/fall/spill something/etc.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ladiflier
How very rude. I would have promptly walked right on his lap (and gee, sorry if my spike heels catches his "grolleys")
Well, in this case, maybe he WANTED to be impaled in the "grolleys" with a pair of stilettos?

There ARE some people that like that kinda stuff...
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I forgot the original post...I'm still laughing at "grolleys"
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:41 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
On a recent flight, I was stuck in the back on a A319. I had a window with someone in both the middle and aisle. I got up to use the bathroom, and the guy on the aisle wouldn't get up, but asked me to just climb over him.
What a tool.
I felt guilty enough on a recent JFK-LAX flight when I semi woke when my seatmate was climbing over me to get back to her seat. I told her she should have woken me but she wouldn't dream of it.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travellingcari
What a tool.
I felt guilty enough on a recent JFK-LAX flight when I semi woke when my seatmate was climbing over me to get back to her seat. I told her she should have woken me but she wouldn't dream of it.
Wow - people can sleep in Y?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:34 am

On a recent flight, I was stuck in the back on a A319. I had a window with someone in both the middle and aisle. I got up to use the bathroom, and the guy on the aisle wouldn't get up, but asked me to just climb over him.

I told him that I would have to also climb over the woman in the middle, so it would be great...for both of us, if you'd get up. He did begrudingly, but outright refused when I got back. I'm 6'2", so climbing over anyone is a hassle at best - I'd never seen this on any of my flights before. You'd think that someone that's on the aisle has the understanding that he/she may have to move for their two next door neighbors at some point.

Luckily, the helpful FA sternly asked the guy to move...agian, he was angry that he'd be requested to do something so outlandish.

Some people just don't belong on an airplane or among civilized society.
I think you found one of them in the aisle seat.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 5:18 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
I had the same exact experience on a Royal Air Maroc 737 from Casablanca to Dakar. I had the window and there were to Senegalese in the aisle and middle seats. I kind of waited a sec for them to get up, but they didn't so I just climbed over them. Im 6'4" and 230 pounds so...it was kind of awkward but they didn't care. Talk about my first introduction to a new concept of personal space...
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I've climbed over my husband in Coach- no reason I couldn't climb over someone else with their consent. I like the window seat for the scenery and occasionally I get nice photos. The main difficulty in Coach is climbing over someone without putting a lot of weight on the seat back in front of me as I steady myself. (I believe there are whole other threads on that.)

It's one of the perils of the Window seat, just as having to move when people exit is a peril of the Aisle and Middle seats.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:23 am

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by rjque
Wow - people can sleep in Y?
Oh yeah, I've never had a problem. I'm usually sound asleep before take off. VX makes it even easier with their lighting -- barely need the eyemask. I'm 5'3 so I think that helps. But I'm also one of those who could sleep standing up. Saves my sanity on long hauls.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite

My response (actually used onboard UA): "NO, you are going to HAVE TO get up. If you don't want to, we can let the flight attendant settle our disagreement!!" He did get up.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by fzwinter
The guy sounds like a real piece of sh*t. ...
Corrected.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by UNITED959
The ability to fart on demand comes in handy for times like these.
Could be the best response to anything ever said on any message board anywhere at any time since the invention of the Internet.

Originally Posted by ajc1970
One reason (of many) that I prefer a window seat is to make sure that other people in the cabin can't keep that specific window shade open.

NRT/LAX and NRT/SFO come to mind... it's essentially a daytime redeye, and there's always one clown in the cabin who insists on keeping the window shade open. By securing a window seat, I know there's at least 1 less set of open window shades.
You do know that this line of thought makes you sound no better than the idiot that the OP encountered? Just making sure.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
You do know that this line of thought makes you sound no better than the idiot that the OP encountered? Just making sure.
Obviously I disagree.

In my eyes, the idiot is the guy who refuses to close his window shades on a flight, even when he's sleeping, and other people are either trying to sleep or trying to watch a movie.

One open window shade lights the whole cabin, and makes it hard for those nearby to see the IFE screens.

On a transpac such as NRT/LAX or NRT/SFO, when there's nothing to see but the same water for 9 hours, it just doesn't make sense.

Fortunately most FAs will close their window shades for them the moment they fall asleep, even if they turned down requests to close them when they were awake.

Last edited by ajc1970; Jan 12, 2008 at 7:06 pm
Old Jan 12, 2008, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DCBob
My response (actually used onboard UA): "NO, you are going to HAVE TO get up. If you don't want to, we can let the flight attendant settle our disagreement!!" He did get up.
I would add, "And no! you can't come to the lavatory with me!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.