Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Help - meant to but did not expedite passport - March trip ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Communication failure between spouse and moi - he put in for our two kids passports for a trip first week of March 2008 without any expiditing. (They both had passports previously, but expire in March/April 08. They are over 14.)

So, the applications were made at a post office in Westchester, NY, today, Dec 31. Pics etc all in order, old passports OK as proof, but just submitted on a regular basis.

I am really worried. Can we submit a new expedited passport for them (ignoring the one we just did?) Honestly, not worried about the cost of the earlier submission, just about the much larger cost of the March trip, and the "fear factor" of worrying in the meantime.

Or, any way to add and pay for expediting once already in the system?

Would really appreciate advice from this experienced crowd. And happy new year to you all.

Last edited by TrinaLC; Dec 31, 2007 at 9:18 pm
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:09 pm

Don't apply again -- that will gum up the works.

Currently, they show passports issued in 4-6 weeks, so you may still be okay. They seem to be caught up now. Once they're showing in the system you may be able to call them about expediting.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I wouldn't stress too much. If you don't have them by mid February, then maybe start to think about doing an expedited one. Then you can call your senator's office and get them to stomp on some toes.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Can't help the stressing part - it is in my nature!

Does caling the senator's constituent services office really help in anyone's experience?

Or is there a formal way to expedite once in the system? I've looked around the passport site and haven't found anything, except a reference which implies this might be possible. I'll keep looking ...

Edited to add - this is what I found that suggests you may be able to expedite once in the system - but doesn't say how - any ideas?

Effective August 16, 2007, the Department’s standard for expedited passport processing completion, as defined in 22 CFR 51.66, is ten business days from either: 1) receipt of your passport application at a Passport Agency/Center; or 2) if the passport application is already at a Passport Agency/Center, the date your request for expedited passport processing is approved. Expedited passport processing is considered complete when the passport is ready to be picked by an applicant or when it is put in the mail to the applicant.

Last edited by TrinaLC; Jan 1, 2008 at 8:04 am
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: DL, Starwood, SWA, United. RIP NWA.
Originally Posted by TrinaLC
Does caling the senator's constituent services office really help in anyone's experience?
It depends on the senator (or congressperson), of course, but many are quite helpful - and recently experienced - in helping expedite passports. Quite a few set up special teams to deal with constituent requests for help during last summer's passport crisis.

Of the four people I know who needed passports last summer, all of them had to get a congressional representative involved when the backlog threatened their trips. All got their passports in time.

Personally, I think you're going to be OK. But I wouldn't hesitate to call in the big guns on day 6 weeks-plus-one.

Good luck.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:08 pm

Just keep checking the status for the next few weeks. There's something that also says, "If you haven’t received your passport and are traveling within the next 7 days , please call the National Passport Information Center." Presumably they would have you set up an appointment and take care of things.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:38 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You will probably be fine.

Once it gets into the system you can step it up if it gets within some timeframe of the trip, you can call and they will tell you the steps necessary.

Though they are moving faster now and you have plenty of time.

There is also a chance, a very slight chance, the post office didn't submit them yet. Call them first thing in the morning, if they didn't send them out they may be able to pull it so you can expedite it.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL UA US
For what it's worth,

we mailed our passports for renewal on December 8; we received them by return mail on December 17. We did not ask for, or pay, the expedited fee.

This was from the Philadelphia processing area.

While I understand your concern, I think you'll be just fine.

Pincus
Old Jan 1, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Our son went through a nightmare in the Fall, having thought 13 weeks was an adequate timeframe, and received passports for his newest babies literally within two days of flying to Europe. He was unable to pay for expedited service in the midst of the process.

Our younger daugher OTOH more recently received a passport for our newest granddaughter amazingly quickly so I wouldn't worry yet.

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Jan 1, 2008, 8:27 pm

Last August, we applied for my son's (he's 8) passport, so we'd have proof of application before we took a cruise in mid-September; this was at the tail-end of the "massive" backlog period, where just having proof of application would still get you back in the country before September 30. The application was not expedited, but we did have it completed at a post office. His passport arrived 11 days later via priority mail.

You'll be fine!
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
I mailed in my renewal on December 13, and received my new passport on Dec. 29. (I completed the application online before mailing it in.) (No expedite service)

Good luck!
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum LT Marriott Titanium Platinum LT, Hertz Presidents Circle, National EC,
I applied on 12/10 - and has passport in hand ( without expediting) on 12/21. I'd give it the requisite week - and then check your status online.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the helpful responses. I am certainly feeling a lot better about the situation now!

I'll check online next week and hope for the quick turnaround that others seem to have experienced.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Happy to report receipt of passport! (Wow that was quick!)

Good news - our experience was in line with those of you who posted about how quickly the process is moving.

Just checked online status, and they've already been mailed! So less than 2 weeks, without expediting.

It was great to have had the reassurances from others who had gone through the process, and even greater to have the same experience!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by TrinaLC
It was great to have had the reassurances from others who had gone through the process, and even greater to have the same experience!
Glad it's worked out for you. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.