Wiki Posts
Search

Springtime oneway car rental relocations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2007, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, and about everything else
Springtime oneway car rental relocations

OK, I've spent quite a bit of time searching, but can't seem to find any info. I remember (I thought the information came through flyertalk) of a car rental program that was seeking to "move" cars from Florida, after season, to their California and Arizona markets around March or April. If I recall the rates were almost free, and the time limits were pretty good. This year I'm thinking about a cross counrtry trip and it seems like the perfect opportunity to take advantage of this, I can't find anything about this at all. Any advice where to check?
Old Dec 24, 2007, 6:18 pm

Programs: Peon in all
I too am sure I've seen it, and I'm sure it was here on FT, but I can't find it!

Anyway, try each of the major companies (Hertz, Avis, etc...) and you'll probable find deals for a one-way to FL in the fall and from FL in the spring. You may not see the spring specials until Feb or March.

IIRC, the rates were something like $9.95 - $39.95 per day to drive from FL to IL or MA with no drop off fee and something like 10-14 days to do it!
Old Dec 24, 2007, 7:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Many car rental companies do this, and it is very much a supply and demand situation. So it varies every year, and cannot be booked in advance. Generally it isn't for cross-country, though; PHX cars are going to LAX, and FL cars are going to NYC+200 miles.

Once I was paid USD 50 to rent a Lincoln for 5 days and move it from LAX to SFO; but that was an unusually sweet deal. The downside is that the mileage allowance is generally tight (plenty for point-to-point but not for touring) and additional miles are charged at a punitive rate ($1/mile is typical) as are any additional days.

In the past Hertz and Budget were good sources for this on the west coast (may not apply to FL though, also it often varies by individual location, so there might be a difference between FLL and MIA for example).
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:53 am

Apparently the special discounts are from Florida to the northeast. It's the end of Florida peak and beginning of increased travel in colder climate.

Why would they want cars moved to a warm climate like Arizona or California? The cars are already there?

I found this by searching FlyerTalk: After Season One-Way Rental from Florida, Hertz, others
Old Dec 25, 2007, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I used to do this a good bit maybe 10 or so years ago. Have been watching the deals in years since and they've been slipping quite a bit vs. before. Used to be you could get around $8/day with minimal taxes and up to 2 weeks keeping the car (and no drop charge, of course). Nowadays you're likely to get a higher rate, many more taxes, and much tighter maximum lengths.

With gas prices what they are, you'd also figure on 10-11 cents gas cost per mile (much worse if you took an SUV or other gas guzzler). A one-way to the Northeast could easily run $80-100 in gas, which is quite beatable by air if it's a Florida route with a lot of LCC competition.

I think you'd need a solid plan (i.e. more than 1 person & wanting to hit a specific intermediate spot) to make it work. Even then, they might try to box you in with maximum lengths.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:06 pm

The Hertz deal it isn't just for people driving to the northeast. It also includes Arizona and many other states. So I was wrong.

This is the latest for 2008:

With Prices Starting at $1, Renters Save Big Time Driving Out of Florida With Hertz
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:45 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You could check the driveaway companies too, where you drive a car for the auto relocation services. Usually you get a tank of gas for free, and just pay for the gas.

Google driveaway and you will find many sites

Did the Fla Mass/CT run many times in the spring, and the other way in the fall in college.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:27 pm

Advantage Rent A Car has one way rentals for $60 a day with no drop off fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.