Wiki Posts
Search

Pound sterling

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Pound sterling

Just returned from Gibraltar and brought back Government of Gibraltar £5 and £10 notes. Made me think though how many different authorities issue notes in pound sterling currency? Before this trip I had only seen those issued by the Bank of England and the Scottish banks.

One further thought. Are dollars (those in currency union with the US dollar) issued by anyone other than the US federal reserve?

Come to think of it is the Pound sterling the only currency that comes in different forms?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:50 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Off the top of my head:

Bank of England
Bank of Scotland
Royal Bank of Scotland
Clydesdale Bank
Northern Bank
Ulster Bank
First Trust Bank
Bank of Ireland
Gibraltar
Jersey
Guernsey
Isle of Man

And the Falklands?

I know that Deutschmarks used to be printed in Bosnia as Convertible Marks (which are now pegged to the Euro), but that's a slightly different situation. You have the various African CFA Francs pegged to the Euro too, these days, but then you could argue that currencies pegged to the US Dollar are reprinting those, too...

ISTR that there were specific versions of the Danish Kroner printed in Greenland and the Faroes, and of Dutch Guilders (now Euro as well) in the Netherlands Antilles, but I don't know the current status.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:53 am

Programs: GA Gold, BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jahason
Just returned from Gibraltar and brought back Government of Gibraltar £5 and £10 notes. Made me think though how many different authorities issue notes in pound sterling currency? Before this trip I had only seen those issued by the Bank of England and the Scottish banks.

One further thought. Are dollars (those in currency union with the US dollar) issued by anyone other than the US federal reserve?

Come to think of it is the Pound sterling the only currency that comes in different forms?
In HK, the HK Dollar bank notes were printed by 3 banks: HSBC, Standard Chartered, and Bank of China.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
The Republic of Ireland's 'punt' used to be in currency union with the pound sterling. But their currency was floated well before they switched to the Euro.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:55 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
The FED (and US mint for coins) is the only agency that produces legal tender US dollar notes.

Plenty of countries have their currencies pegged to the dollar-Belize, Bahamas, ECB, etc etc and some others actually use the US dollar-Ecuador, Panama, El Salvador, Micronesia.

Ciao,
FH
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by jahason
Euro cent coins come in different forms to indicate the country of production.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:33 am

An interesting related thread over here in the UK forum.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Euro cent coins come in different forms to indicate the country of production.
The first character in the serial number of EUR bills (a letter) indicates the country that printed it. There's even a letter reserved for the UK
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by stut
I know that Deutschmarks used to be printed in Bosnia as Convertible Marks
But the Bosnian Convertible Marks were only legal tender there; they held no value in Germany AFAIK.

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
some others actually use the US dollar-Ecuador, Panama, El Salvador, Micronesia.
Ecuador & Panama only use the bills though, they mint their own coins (also AFAIK).
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Note that only Bank of England notes are of any value outside the country of issue.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Note that only Bank of England notes are of any value outside the country of issue.
No banknote - not even Scottish ones - are legal tender in Scotland
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
That's generally, but not always the case. It's more to do with lack of understanding of the complex system of note production in the UK, which means its just not recognised that these are £ sterling (in the same way that England tends to be substituted inappropriately for the UK or Great Britain), but there are some places which, used to Scots visiting, will take Scottish bank notes for forex.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:24 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Bob'sYourUncle

Ecuador & Panama only use the bills though, they mint their own coins (also AFAIK).

But it is on par with the US Dollar one to one.

And Ecuador uses the "golden" Dollar Sac coins more than bills. Over 500,000,000$US in Dollar coins were sent to Ecuador. The lower coins are minted there.

Ciao,
FH
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by stut
Dutch Guilders (now Euro as well) in the Netherlands Antilles, but I don't know the current status.
The Netherlands Antilles Gulden was (and is) a different currency than the Dutch Gulden. The NA Gulden is pegged to the US dollar.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 3:18 am

Dubai will take Scottish notes but from what I've read on TA you get a worse exchange rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.