Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Showers without curtains

Showers without curtains

Old Oct 9, 07, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Showers without curtains

What is the deal with showers without curtains?

Not only is it messy for the user, but also for the person having to clean up.

I have mostly seen these showers in hotels in Australia and New Zealand.
Old Oct 9, 07, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Check for a secret webcam in the opposite corner of the room.

Steamin' video.

Old Oct 9, 07, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
You'll find this in many place in Europe as well. The oddest shower related thing I have ever seen was the one-third of a shower door at the Arabella Sheraton in Frankfurt. It covered only about the front third of the tub. Very strange.
Old Oct 9, 07, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by adelauro View Post
You'll find this in many place in Europe as well. The oddest shower related thing I have ever seen was the one-third of a shower door at the Arabella Sheraton in Frankfurt. It covered only about the front third of the tub. Very strange.
Ugh I know exactly what you are talking about. It is common in some older hotels in Europe too...hate it!!!
Old Oct 10, 07, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold A3 Gold IB Plata
It's common everywhere in Europe. Our new house has one bathroom like this.

Europeans use hand-held showers as a rule (even when they can be attached to the wall) and so manage to do so without making a mess.
Old Oct 10, 07, 1:38 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
I suspect it's to cut down on the places where mildew etc can grow - shower curtains can get disgusting very quickly if you don't take quite a bit of time and effort cleaning them.
Old Oct 10, 07, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
When I lived in the Netherlands for 1.5years I came to realize that we Americans live too... well, we waste.

I mean they have few to no napkins on the table (my Dutch wife says: Well, be neater, eat slower, use your fork AND knife and you do not need them as much and that's probably better for the environment that all you people tout as such a big US-spearheaded effort)

they take shorter/faster/fewer showers (less water being used up, less time in there with less splatter, and everyone is thin, fit, fast moving and takes up less space to begin with)

and there just seems to be something about how water doesnt stick around as much... I mean people ride their bikes to work in drizzle wearing jeans but somehow they are not sticky wet all day in the office. Dunno why. I think the whole culture has some secret pumped in airborne chemical or something that makes all of these things just work. No one complains about pools of water on the floors of those bathrooms you have all probably seen where the tile is at the same level of the rest of the room and there's no divider... and yeah, shower curtains cant really even be found in the stores!

Weird!
Fergit it! I'm a 'Merkin too! Yee haw! Gimme my plastic moldy enclosure every day!

MM
Old Oct 10, 07, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by adelauro View Post
it's because it's where the spray is - you don't need a full length one unless you expect the maid to suddenly enter the bathroom
Old Oct 10, 07, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanR View Post
it's because it's where the spray is - you don't need a full length one unless you expect the maid to suddenly enter the bathroom
yeah especially if she's HAWT!
Old Oct 10, 07, 10:14 am
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
When I lived in the Netherlands for 1.5years I came to realize that we Americans live too... well, we waste.
Typical arrogant European attitude.
Old Oct 10, 07, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J-M View Post
yah I tried to tell them to--well, both ways have their plusses and minusses and both ways of life should be utilized.
oh well.
Old Oct 10, 07, 11:00 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by J-M View Post
A trait clearly nonexistent in the United States.
Old Oct 10, 07, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by alanR View Post
maybe she is there to clean you?
Old Oct 10, 07, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I had a room like this in the Hotel Linde in Baden, Switzerland back in the 1990s. I stayed for a week. After every shower, the bathroom was ankle-deep or worse in standing water. I'm not sure where it went, there was not drain. I was on an upper floor, too.
Old Oct 10, 07, 11:05 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner

Last edited by patgarrett; Nov 1, 07 at 1:32 pm Reason: ......

Search this Thread
Search Engine: