Getting seconds for inflight meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: JGC Premier (oneworld Emerald)

For those of you who appreciate inflight dining - I guess it depends on which airline you're flying! - I have a question. Do you ever feel tempted to try everything on offer? See, for instance, this airlinemeals.net review (http://www.airlinemeals.net/meals/Ja...ines371450.htm). Scroll about a quarter of the way down the page.

Do you ever feel bad about ordering multiple choices for the same meal? I guess I'm wondering out loud because I fly J soon and wanted a second opinion!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PacFlyer
Do you ever feel bad about ordering multiple choices for the same meal? I guess I'm wondering out loud because I fly J soon and wanted a second opinion!
It's not a problem, but it is possible they don't have enough meals of every choice.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:44 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
For those of you who appreciate inflight dining - I guess it depends on which airline you're flying! - I have a question. Do you ever feel tempted to try everything on offer? See, for instance, this airlinemeals.net review (http://www.airlinemeals.net/meals/Ja...ines371450.htm). Scroll about a quarter of the way down the page.

Personally I would _never_ do it. But that is because I am morbidly obese, and I could hear the whispers and the see pointing now... "Look at that gastropod! He needs TWO meals! More like two seats! I can't believe that blimp would ask for TWO meals!"
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:46 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
When I am in CO BF and the FA asks if I would like the paté or the shrimp as appetizer I usually say "some of each, please." That's not a problem.

If you want two main courses, they may ask you to wait until all the other passengers have been served, but then you wouldn't want a steak AND sushi on your plate at the same time, would you?

It shouldn't be a problem if you ask politely.

Bon appétit!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 7:12 am

Hi there,
I've done this a few times, albeit on transatlantics. I've always asked for another meal after the main service rather than a "doubling up" the first round.

It's generally worked out. The only time it didn't was in Y on a very full flight. Oh well, it wasn't a problem.
So, ask nicely and you will probably get your extra food

Enjoy!
Jason
Old Oct 3, 2007, 7:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by apx068
So, ask nicely and you will probably get your extra food

Or not. On a recent BWI-LAS flight on US, in F no less, I asked for the meal being served in Coach INSTEAD of the 1st class offering. I was obliged to pay $5 for the privilege, and this was *after* having to wait to see if they had "enough" left over after serving the main cabin. I forked over the five-spot, and have not flown US for my last 6 flights.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
A while back on VN airlines between Hanoi and Taipei, I was the only PAX in C.

They cooked all 3 meal options....

And I ate them all.

No problems at all....

They really did want to please me. And I was duly pleased.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by tennster
Or not. On a recent BWI-LAS flight on US, in F no less, I asked for the meal being served in Coach INSTEAD of the 1st class offering. I was obliged to pay $5 for the privilege, and this was *after* having to wait to see if they had "enough" left over after serving the main cabin. I forked over the five-spot, and have not flown US for my last 6 flights.
Buy on board meals are usually counted and I don't think they have much leeway to hand them out (somebody has to pay for it) free of charge.

The bigger question is: why would you fly US in the first place?
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by tennster
I can understand why they made you wait until the other passengers had been served, since you were the one asking for something out of the norm, but to charge you for the privilege is asinine.

You are not getting eating an extra meal, and even if you were, the food at the end of the flight is thrown out anyway. Can you imagine the number of food poisoning cases they would have if they had sushi left over from one transpac and then served it on the next after a 3-4 hour turnaround?
Old Oct 3, 2007, 2:02 pm

Uh uhwuh ea ah muhnny ah lahn meas uhs thueh wuh gi meuh pluh uh taeh stuhh in muh pok uht foh snah i buh tweeuh.

Ooops there goes the oven timer -- pizza's ready!
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
On one BA flight (business class) the purser asked me after the main course something like "How was your meal?" (everyone had been served) I replied "It was good but I am still a little hungry". He checked to see if there were any more meals and there were and brought me another one of them.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver
If I weren't vegetarian, I would totally ask. It seems like they only ever have exactly as many as they need of those though, because we usually get served before everyone else and sometimes they are marked with our seat number.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL FO, was TG silver but didn't understand
I've never asked for a second meal, but on Korean, I got lots of extra rolls. Unfortunately, I was feeling overfull for several hours in the ATL-ICN long haul cattle.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
If I'm really hungry and I KNOW I will be able to eat another entree I will ask by saying "would you mind bringing me any extra entrees that aren't served when you get done with the cabin?"

Occasionally there is the senselessly recalcitrant FA who will automatically say "no, this is a full flight," presumptively assuming that every pax will eat every meal catered, so in those cases I will either just ask another FA or if I'm moody summon the purser and not only repeat the request but also raise the issue of service standards as it concerns the FA in question.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I've only ever asked a few times, usually on longhauls and in premium cabins which are on 'proper' airlines horribly overcatered. Never a problem ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.