Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FF totally unaware to the process

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:08 pm

Programs: ECExec, SPGTitanium,, UAPlat
My new FYer friends,
Reading your posts i.e. opinions makes me a little sad. You are absolutely right, we (mainly newbies) are are unaware to the process, if that is to whom you are referring. I personally preferred to learn and overcome that ignorance, searching opportunities to join what could be an adventageous support group.

I joined FT and FF to learn from the best. I apologize in advance if I am one to which you are referring. I just want to be one that can claim, being a member of FT and FF gave me the knowledge to be aware of the process and enabled me to help others that come along.

I am grateful for each of you! Never grow weary in doing good! It is apprecated!
Nancy
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ILeftMyHeartInTexas
My new FYer friends,
Reading your posts i.e. opinions makes me a little sad. You are absolutely right, we (mainly newbies) are are unaware to the process, if that is to whom you are referring. I personally preferred to learn and overcome that ignorance, searching opportunities to join what could be an adventageous support group.

I joined FT and FF to learn from the best. I apologize in advance if I am one to which you are referring. I just want to be one that can claim, being a member of FT and FF gave me the knowledge to be aware of the process and enabled me to help others that come along.

I am grateful for each of you! Never grow weary in doing good! It is apprecated!
Nancy
Welcome to FT! I've been a member for a few years now & I STILL have stuff to learn from my fellow FTers. I also still chat w/ folk about the benefits of elite, 1-2 programs, & FT. Up to them whether to f/up on it (such as you're doing), but I don't not say anything cuz I'm worried about them diluting my bennies. I figure we'll just cut a bigger pie. Again, welcome to FT.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
No Nancy, not people like you.

You wouldn't be here you were not interested in this.

We (or at least I am) are talking about people who don't even know there is such a thing as a frequent flyer program, pay for business class when they fly enough in a month to upgrade every flight with miles, book the cheapest room in the hotel because they don't know if they signed up for a card they could pay for the cheapest and get one of the best, as they could be top tier in two months.

I'm referring to people who don't even know there are ff programs, think the lounges are for employees only, and believe even if they are the first person to reserve a seat on a flight and the computer gives them a middle seat in the last row, well that's what they will keep.

They are probably afraid of the automated check in machines, and probably have somebody else book their hotel and car rentals (never using a discount code) for them. They are the people travel agents absolutly love.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Back in the 80s and early 90s I never cared about the miles. Each year I would get enough miles to get a free ticket on at least 3 airlines. Sine I went to different cities all the time I would go by fare and schedule.

I would just give the free single tickets to my Mom who loved to travel. The free tickets seemed so out of reach. 20,000 miles was at least 10 trips. And why would I go on vacation on a different airline than my wife?

I know better now about the miles but we now have few choices on what airline to take as most of them are gone.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
I've two friends in DE who travel a good deal. One tries to stay with one carrier and the other is oblivious to what awaits when using one carrier. Neither had joined any FF program and when faced with a long layover would pay for a day pass to a club. They were unaware of FlyerTalk until I mentioned the benefits to be gained here.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:55 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by cordelli
I know people that travel four or five times a month, minimum, and don't belong to any plans at all. They don't get the reason for it, don't want to be limited to one hotel or airline or anything else.
Someone who travels that much can still not be limited to one hotel or airline or anything else, but reap the benefits of award tickets etc.. Just pick a small number of airlines programs that cover (through partnerships and alliances) all of the airlines flown. That may result in awards and status on multiple airlines after a while. With hotels, that may be harder, but a heavy traveler will still likely be able to get hotel awards even if s/he is not loyal to any one hotel chain.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:56 pm

I'd call them my coworkers.

I went from 0 on United to Premier Executive on United in 9 months. This year I'll be gold on Delta and 1P on United again 95% from work.

Some of the people in my position don't even make silver in 1 program.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
Back in the 80s and early 90s I never cared about the miles. Each year I would get enough miles to get a free ticket on at least 3 airlines. Sine I went to different cities all the time I would go by fare and schedule.
When frequent flyer programs first started in 1981, I flew on United and thought "why bother" because you needed 50,000 miles for a domestic ticket and the fine print said that they could cancel the program at any time. I got wise by summer, 1981 and only missed out on 1 flight besides the several that didn't get credited because of the airline's fault.

A few years ago, I told a talkative seat mate about ff programs. The grandma had a "why bother" expresstion but then said "here's my boarding pass, order yourself some magazines and order some for me, too" So I got the Wall Street Journal and sent her several beauty and travel magazines. I just ran across her card today. Thank you, Beverly H. I'm almost certain that you won't see this unless you've turned into a ff junkie.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 12:20 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by gj83
I'd call them my coworkers.
I'd call them that too. When one of them starts flying, I opened a FF-account on his behalf. Besides the points for flying, he received bonuses for filled in questionaries, getting bonuses for getting some creditcard (and after shortly using it, turning it down) and then he didn't have flights for quite some time (6 months or so), so he finally decided to quit the FF-program because he didn't want to get so many emails from the airline (which he could easily get rid off, with filter or with checking the boxes again in his profile).

He had enough miles for a ticket...
Old Sep 29, 2007, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by 797-3
priority baggage handling (less wait!)
when has it ever come out faster?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 1:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
when has it ever come out faster?
At times, the priority bags come out earlier. The cynical may point out that during labor troubles, there have been reports that CO workers purposely delayed putting elite members' bags until near the end of unloading in order to damage the airline's reputation. Evil!
Old Sep 29, 2007, 2:01 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Brobbel
I'd call them that too. When one of them starts flying, I opened a FF-account on his behalf. Besides the points for flying, he received bonuses for filled in questionaries, getting bonuses for getting some creditcard (and after shortly using it, turning it down) and then he didn't have flights for quite some time (6 months or so), so he finally decided to quit the FF-program because he didn't want to get so many emails from the airline (which he could easily get rid off, with filter or with checking the boxes again in his profile).

He had enough miles for a ticket...
Co-worker was frustrated with high-annual-fee airline credit card. I told her about Starwood Amex Card, that she can transfer points to many airlines and get bonus, etc. Even sent her a link to it, but I don't think she ever sign up for it. I am new to the company, but that doesn't mean I am dumb.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 3:36 pm

Programs: ECExec, SPGTitanium,, UAPlat
Thanks Mike, I needed some encouragement. I really mean I want to learn so that I can help others just as you all are doing with me. Thanks for the extended grace! I needed it!

I only have two weeks left until my trip better get digging to see how I can make it special.
Nancy
Old Sep 29, 2007, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
He flies every quarter from NYC to Germany (in J) for corporate meetings and at least once every two months from NYC to LAX and NYC to MIA (in Y) and numerous other trips between. He was totally unaware that if he flew with one airline the perks that could be stowed upon him if he reaches top level elite (which he probably could). UPGs, lounge access, and priority treatment seemed to be unknown to him. Moreover, he did not seem to care about these things. To him flying was getting from Point A to Point B and nothing else. He would not know a 747 from a 737.
If my longer-haul travel were all in paid J, I probably wouldn't care as much about frequent flier perks. Sure, they're nice, but many of the benefits that I take advantage of by being a frequent flier (e.g. upgrades into J, lounge access, shorter checkin and security lines, etc.) are made available to paid J customers, too. And with any full-fare tickets, you can get pretty decent treatment even if you're not a frequent flier.

I can't imagine not knowing/caring what kind of plane I was on, though.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:15 am

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
You would be astounded as to how many people don't have any clue what their miles entitle them to. I speak..daily..to people who have 100k + miles and say..
Um, what is that good for..what does that mean..can I get gifts..la la la.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.