Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the most far-flung & unlikely place in the world you have run into a friend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most far-flung & unlikely place in the world you have run into a friend?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

from your travelling experiences?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I ran into an ex in Osaka once. It was incredibly random.

Nothing happened...
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:45 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Bottom's Up bar in Kowloon in 1972. Ran into a guy I graduated from high school with in Oklahoma City in 1968. Weird...
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
On a public bus in Beijing -- my sister's ex-best-friend (she stole my sister's boyfriend and that was that). I gave her my number. She never called.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:11 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
2002 at pisa.

i was taking a picture of the leaning tower when i hear "goalie?"

i turn around and there is one of my client's from work on v/c with his wife and daughter.

they were going rome-florence-venice-paris and i was going paris-venice-florence-paris.

we had a blast that night in florence but the best part was e-mailing work that night with pictures of us.....my staff (knowing that i love to "play with photos") thought it was me messing with them

it got better however as we met up again in paris and sent another picture to work where at that point, i think they finally believed us.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:42 am
Suspended

Tuktoyuktuk, NT
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:05 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Amtrak Select+
Ran into some friends earlier this month in Pamplona on the first day of the running of the bulls. We just happened to be passing a bus stop and they were on a bus that was about to pull away. They got the driver to stop so they could jump off.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:10 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Could have sworn I ran into greenery somewhere.... but can't think where it was...

Great post by the OP ....^^^
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:42 am

Not really a friend since I didn't know him, but when I walked into a little internet cafe in Bellagio on Lake Como, some guy sitting next to me said, he are you from San Francisco, I see you at the gym all the time. It was weird.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Two experiences-not as exotic, but funny.

1) Was in NYC one Christmas season and was at the Macy's Herald Square with my wife. I turn a corner and run into my mother and 2 friends (They live in MD.) Totally random, didn't even know she was going there.

2) Met some people in New Orleans at Harrahs during Superbowl 2001. Later that year, we ran into them both in Las Vegas and Atlantic City.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: United Platinum
Knightsbridge tube station in London

We were going down the escalator when a good friend of my wife's from work in San Francisco went by going up. After a bit of confusion we regrouped at the bottom, and ended up spending the rest of the day sightseeing together.

Bob
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
a few...

back in the early 90's, saw a guy that looked familiar in Kimpo. paid it no mind. connecting in LAX to ATL, saw the guy again. weird. 2 weeks later at church, saw the guy AGAIN. i had recently started attending that church and didn't know even half the people there.

on our honeymoon to tahiti, bumped into a college acquaintance on her honeymoon poolside at the Pearl Resort in Bora Bora. we started talking about Michigan (Ann Arbor) when another guy (duh - honeymoon) piped up and mentioned he had also graduated from U of M. what are the odds were of 4 Michigan grads (along with my wife, an Illinois grad, and the 3rd bride, an OSU grad) sitting in a pool in bora bora on their respective honeymoons at the same time and randomly striking up a conversation? Go Blue

was in NYC for business a few months back. had to stop by macy's because i had forgotten my belt (!). on the way out, bumped into an old college flame who, it turns out, had been set up with my wife's cousin (didn't work out).
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
On the second to last night of a cruise to the Baltic, we ran into my parent's neighbors on the ship. It was so big, we hadn't seen them before that.

Mike
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1p
After getting a massage at the spa at the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok, I heard footsteps and my name being called. It turned out that two old friends from Chicago were having lunch at the Sala Rim Nan restaurant that is part of the spa complex. Joined them for drinks and had a great time!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond BMI Silver
All my friends and family are in the midwest or on the west coast and one time while at PHL I walked into the us airways club I ran into an old friend that had moved from California to Washington back in 1997.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.