Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Jobs in the airline industry for the flight benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:35 am
Original Poster

I am in the process of applying for a bunch of entry level airline jobs. These are mostly ramp agent and customer service jobs. I understand that these positions pay very poorly, but was wondering if anyone has ever held an airline job to take advantage of the free flying benefits?

Most airlines offer free travel on any flights with open space. I understand that planes are much more full now than ever before, but still over 50% of flights I have been on have some open seats.

My girlfriend is starting school in a few months and we will have to move, and I'll need to find a job in Milwaukee. These jobs work late, which is perfect for me as I'd also like to be home during open market hours on the stock market.

Basically I'd just like any opinions on this choice, as well as any information from someone who may have held a similar job. If it means anything, I'm 19 and hold nothing but a high school diploma. I just plan on having this job for a year or so to experience a little.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT. Nice first post. Do you have a trust fund?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Welcome to FT pjpoker.

Entry level jobs in the airline industry do not pay much in the grand scheme of things. They usually are enough to get by but if you plan on being the sole income you might have some issues (unless you have a trust fund or some other source of income.)

As an example my wife started with a Delta Connection carrier back in March and during the training they flat out told her that you wont become rich working this job but if you take advantage of the benefits you should have no problems being happy. Her starting salary is around $10/hr for a gate agent position
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I work in Milwaukee, and through people I know who work at the airport, many of the airlines in MKE are hiring.

Probably the easiest job to get is a ramp agent for Skyway (Midwest)...they only pay $8 an hour or so, but you'll get free flights on Midwest and Skyway, plus after 3-6 months of employment free domestic flights on every other airline flying out of MKE thanks to the generous "counter agreements" for non-rev travel in place there.

AirTran is also hiring...they start at close to $10 per hour, but you'll have to work both ramp and customer service.

Delta just hired a bunch of new folks but they may still be looking for more (ticket/gate only).

PM me if you want to find out more...I'll try to get you in touch with the right people.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Oh, one more thing to consider...perhaps the biggest drawback of working in the airline industry is your work schedule. Airlines "bid" by seniority, so as a new hire you'll be at the bottom of the barrel, probably with Tuesday/Wednesday or Wednesday/Thursday off. Don't expect to have a free weekend for a long time. Your seniority, of course, will rise as people quit and get fired (the turnover for Skyway ramp, for example, is incredibly high) but you won't have a lot of say as to what your schedule is for a while.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:39 am

Smile

Actually, that is what prompted me to apply at an airline. I used my standbys all the time. Could never understand some I worked with had never flown and didn't want too. Why get an irline job then-surely could never be the pay.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses everyone.
I don't have a trust fund, just do some trading during the days. I'm new to it, so I'm still learning. Gained almost 100% in my portfolio in the first few months, but lost every penny of profit and more in the last few weeks. Oh well, I'm still learning.

I'm aware that I won't be making great pay (or good pay for that matter)
I currently have a pizza delivery job and make around $20-30 an hour with tips, and even if I leave I know they'll still give me hours if I need them.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:12 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
pjpoker, welcome to FlyerTalk! You do have to be willing to work flexible and varying shifts/hours. That could be challenging to your market trading; and, as others have mentioned, to your weekends.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
pjpoker, welcome to FlyerTalk! You do have to be willing to work flexible and varying shifts/hours. That could be challenging to your market trading; and, as others have mentioned, to your weekends.

Thats OK...its a job that I really want, I guess some sacrifices are imminent.
As for the market trading, I can just do it on the days that I don't work during the day.

And thanks everyone for being so nice...I'm used to my first post on most message boards to be heavily flamed. Looks like you guys are a nice bunch.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:41 am

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D
What are your considerations about airlines job? Besides travel benefits?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:52 am

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
considerations

1 You will be working in all kinds of weather
You will get wet and frozen and overheated

2 Many times required Overtime so be prepared for that ^

3 Varied hours/split shifts ^

4 The ability to shift trade with others is great if your carrier allows it
and your fellow employees enjoy trading. ^^^

5 Dealing with public

7 Irregular Ops

So these are the realties You might want to jump in and go with the flow!
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mrotenfan
What are your considerations about airlines job? Besides travel benefits?
Well in addition to the travel, I feel this is a good job because....

1. I have a general interest in aviation and love being at the airport (I know that will probably change after a while)
2. Entry Level...don't have a degree so I have less options.
3. Exercise! Should help me stay in shape.
4. Possible relocation? Would like to move to another state in a few years.
5. Did I mention the free travel???

Overtime is fine with me, more money is always good.
Switching shifts is fine...I rarely need someone else to work for me, but am notorious for picking up everyone else's shifts.
If I have to work with the public, thats fine by me. Even pissed, angry customers. I enjoy working with the public and consider myself pretty good at it.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjpoker
And thanks everyone for being so nice...I'm used to my first post on most message boards to be heavily flamed.
Where did you post this question? No flames here.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Where did you post this question? No flames here.
I wasn't talking about this particular question.
Just usually when I ask something in general (not this topic) on message boards people flame. I guess its just internet mentality in most places.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjpoker
I wasn't talking about this particular question.
Just usually when I ask something in general (not this topic) on message boards people flame. I guess its just internet mentality in most places.
If flaming violates the board's terms of service, notify the moderators.

The flames will magically disappear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.