Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What would you have done - Pax moves bag to different bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you have done - Pax moves bag to different bin?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by icarius
until proven otherwise, i will still insist that a lot of culprits of this inconsiderate act are female customers rather than male customers and insist that this view is respected. Nothing personal.
Actually, it sounds quite personal, since you're basing your "findings" on your own personal observations and experiences, and not on anything resembling hard data.

Come to think of it, I was served filet of beef on my last flight. Based on my 100% rate (last 1 of 1) of being served filet, it stands to reason that I will always be served filet on 100% of my next flights.

Cool.

("nothing personal"... that's what I tack on when I'm feigning sincerity, right?)
Old Jun 6, 2007, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by gj83
Sometimes I wish the FAs would be more proactive about helping people stow luggage. Many people who should put a bag under their seat (not your case in bulkhead) don't and take up bin space.
That would mean that Flight Attendants would be situated throughout the cabin at various overhead bins. It would impede boarding as we'd be in the way of people trying to get further back in the cabin. Boarding would take forever.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate666
I AM THE JERK!

I will often store my bag in the first available bin - even if I am sitting nearer the back.

I will usually try to put my bag in the bin above my seat, or the bin in front of it.

I will move someone's bag wantonly, if it suits my purposes!

On moving someone's bag, to be honest the only time I do that is if there are, say, two bins beside one another, and there may be a small space in bin B, and if a small bag was moved from A to B, I could fit my bag in bin A, then I'll do it without even thinking.

I also don't see a problem with putting my bag further forward than my seat. Hey, it's first come, first served. If anyone wants to take real issue with it, the F/A is gonna side with me every time! And if the guy who says he will order people not to touch his bag piped up on my flight, I'd just keep doing it to upset him even more! He can talk all he wants - talking doesn't hamper my hand movement, it just means I have a captive audience, which I don't mind one bit.
I realize much of your post was tongue in cheek, but if my bag is in the bin first (i.e., first come, first served, as you say), if you move my bag in any fashion other than a rearrangement in the same bin, I WILL publicly humiliate you, and I WILL win the argument when the FA is engaged if you don't get your hands off my property. The captive audience will back me up, too...trust me, they ALL hate you for doing what you describe.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by drat19
I WILL publicly humiliate you, and I WILL win the argument when the FA is engaged if you don't get your hands off my property. The captive audience will back me up, too...trust me, they ALL hate you for doing what you describe.
Bear in mind that that doesn't mean they like you too.

I'll hope they continue funding at NASA in the search for a planet you can populate all by yourself.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Bear in mind that that doesn't mean they like you too.

I'll hope they continue funding at NASA in the search for a planet you can populate all by yourself.
Read my other posts in this thread...I'm very reasonable - until you try to relocate my already-placed bag in the overhead storage. Violate that, and you pay. And clearly based on the responses in this thread, I'm not the only one with this hot button, although also clearly, not everyone is as open to publicly humiliating violators of it as I am.

And I wish I could populate an air travel all by myself...don't you? This thread is yet more proof of how the flying bus experience continues to grow far worse every day.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:17 am

I don't remember where I read this "tip" but at least one travel advice article suggested putting your stuff in the overhead bin across the aisle from your seat. Think about it, use the bin above your seat and another passenger could pretend to be taking stuff out of his bag while he rifles your bag. Across the aisle you'll be able to see what's going on.

The OP complained to the offending pax. I'm not sure what else could have been done.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
You shouldn't have put it in someone else's bin

I hate it when my bin is full - especially when someone has a big bag and is sat miles away!

I think I would move it and do the whole "f-u dude, find your own bin or check it in" - perhaps that's because i'm english - we would be awefully polite about putting bags in other bins and ask first but once our bins are full... hehe..
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by PaulKarl
Let's make a deal, Green Dragon. I don't practice accounting, and you don't practice law.
Deal! As I said, it's an extremely slanted view - and I don't think such a charge would stick in any state, even if it is made. But an argument could be made for it to scare the person from doing it again
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Actually, it sounds quite personal, since you're basing your "findings" on your own personal observations and experiences, and not on anything resembling hard data.
^ Well said.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by icarius
until proven otherwise, i will still insist that a lot of culprits of this inconsiderate act are female customers rather than male customers and insist that this view is respected. Nothing personal.
Until proven otherwise, I insist that culprits of both genders exist and I insist that this view be respected. Nothing personal.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by drat19
And I wish I could populate an air travel all by myself...don't you? This thread is yet more proof of how the flying bus experience continues to grow far worse every day.
More days than not, I enjoy the company of others. And when things go badly, I'm very calm and diplomatic. It's gotten me through some rough days without any permanent damage.

Originally Posted by OttoMH
You shouldn't have put it in someone else's bin

I hate it when my bin is full - especially when someone has a big bag and is sat miles away!

I think I would move it and do the whole "f-u dude, find your own bin or check it in" - perhaps that's because i'm english - we would be awefully polite about putting bags in other bins and ask first but once our bins are full... hehe..
I'm not sure where you get the idea that it's your bin.

Has an airline employee ever confirmed that opinion to you? I'll admit that I've made assumptions about certain parts of the aircraft belonging to me; air vent, seat belt, tray table, ceiling lamp, oxygen mask, space under the seat in front of me. Most people would agree on those, although I've seen examples on FT of p[eople who didn't. Other things are seemingly more in dispute and possibly vary from flight to flight or airline to airline; armrest, overhead bin, empty middle seat, lav in other cabin. The only one of those I've had to seek an airline employee's opinion on was the bin and she said ownership is not automatically conferred on the person in the row underneath.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I'm not sure where you get the idea that it's your bin.

Has an airline employee ever confirmed that opinion to you? I'll admit that I've made assumptions about certain parts of the aircraft belonging to me; air vent, seat belt, tray table, ceiling lamp, oxygen mask, space under the seat in front of me. Most people would agree on those, although I've seen examples on FT of p[eople who didn't. Other things are seemingly more in dispute and possibly vary from flight to flight or airline to airline; armrest, overhead bin, empty middle seat, lav in other cabin. The only one of those I've had to seek an airline employee's opinion on was the bin and she said ownership is not automatically conferred on the person in the row underneath.
I'll agree with you on that point...the bin's not my/our property. But that bag I just placed in it is...don't move it without my permission.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
WOW.

"Note to self"...... pack gumshield for next flight.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:55 pm

Do you think the person who moved the OP's bag would've minded if the OP had, sometime in the middle of the flight, moved her bag to some overhead bin on the other side of the aircraft?
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

geeze, I had not realized how anal people are about their sealed carry on bags. next few flights, I think I'm going to shuffle a bunch of bags around, and watch for sparks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.