Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What would you have done - Pax moves bag to different bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you have done - Pax moves bag to different bin?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by icarius
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700079

I started the above thread which described a similar situation. Except it was WHY pax using business class overhead bins without permission or consideration.
i think the op further strengthens my thinking that a lot of issues are caused by female customers who have no consideration and worse have the mentality "i should be treated better just because im a woman." not to sound sexist or racist but it is true.
Wow, your world must be very small. It is sexist and it is racist and it's insulting to know that this caveman way of thinking still exists. It's about rudeness, which comes in both sexes, all races and all creeds. I am sorry if some woman in your life was very, very mean to you, but don'ttake it out on all women. Geez!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by birdstrike
I would never move another persons bag, though I've had mine moved.

Curious though, what makes this a felony?
It could be considered a felony (in a very slanted view, granted). You have removed someone else's property, without thier knowledge or permission. You have hidden it somewhere known only to you, possibly to take it away later... 'stashed' it. Certainly it's possible... crazier things have happened, as we all know. If it does get deemed a crime, then anything over $100 in value takes it from misdemeanor to felony. My number may be out of date or only in my state, but that's how I remember it from law class
(IANAL)
Old Jun 6, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by zac
I would have kept an eye on my bag until the doors closed, but then again I have trust issues. I hate when I need to have to stow my bag away from me.

The woman of course was wrong to move your bag, but I’m sure she thought it was harmless to re-locate it across the aisle (from the sounds of it she asked neighboring pax first). You’re lucky she didn’t tell the flight attendant she found a bag that no pax would claim…

Also, I would definitely take a look for your bag first before going to a flight attendant and asking for the police. If your bag was stolen and it’s still on the plane it’s not going anywhere. If it’s off the plane then it is already gone. Either way no reason to get everyone riled up without taking a quick look around.
Are you kidding me? This woman moved HIS stuff because she was being selfish and rude. It was about her and be dam*d with whoever owned the bag she moved.

He's lucky she didn't tell the FA about a bag no pax would claim? This woman was being a jerk and he's lucky? What a silly thing to say. It's his bag and she has no right to even touch it, nevermind move it. I love the royal luggage thing. I have never had this happen to me, but if I do I will remember that and I won't mind saying it either.

I would certainly be more than riled if I thought someone stole my bag! I don't think the other passengers would mind helping a man to search for his bag. They may even want to help him throttle the woman who moved it. If it's not mine I am not touching it. I could be accused of stealing something out of it and I find it just plain selfish.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 2:57 pm
zac

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
Are you kidding me?.
Wow, kidding? Read and decide.

This woman moved HIS stuff because she was being selfish and rude.
Agreed, never said otherwise.

He's lucky she didn't tell the FA about a bag no pax would claim?
My comment was about the paranoid state of affairs when flying. I guess you have missed the stories of delays, terminal dumps, etc. when unattended bags are found?

It's his bag and she has no right to even touch it, nevermind move it.
Again, agreed.

He asked what I would have done. I would not have stowed valuable luggage with 35 minutes left to board and then not paid attention to what happened to it.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Green Dragon
It could be considered a felony (in a very slanted view, granted). You have removed someone else's property, without thier knowledge or permission. You have hidden it somewhere known only to you, possibly to take it away later... 'stashed' it. Certainly it's possible... crazier things have happened, as we all know. If it does get deemed a crime, then anything over $100 in value takes it from misdemeanor to felony. My number may be out of date or only in my state, but that's how I remember it from law class
(IANAL)
Let's make a deal, Green Dragon. I don't practice accounting, and you don't practice law.

Most crimes require an element of intent. Under the law of California (where this incident took place), the crime of theft by larceny requires, among other elements, that the defendant "intended to deprive the owner of [the stolen item] permanently or to remove it from the owner’s possession for so extended a period of time that the owner would be deprived of a major portion of the value or enjoyment of the property." California Criminal Jury Instruction 1800.

So the person who moved the OP's bag was rude and selfish but not a criminal unless there was an intent to permanently deprive the OP of the merchandise.

BTW, the line between petty theft and grand theft in California is usually $400 in value, except that some interest groups have successfully lobbied for a line of $100 for their products. CALCRIM 1801. So, if you are determined to steal some avacados, make sure it's less than $100 dollars worth.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:46 pm

Astonishing nerve.

Though it's no worse than being hugged without permission by some overly extroverted stranger or being told someone is going to pray for me , the fact is that all those behaviors are bad enough, and the usual remedy--a polite but astonished stare--does not work.

For practical reasons, I would let it go by and simply quietly seethe. But in a parallel universe--and I wouldn't actually do this, you understand --I would tell the flight attendant, "Let's see, I put some valuable (something-or-other) in the outside pocket of my bag. Let me see if it's still there. W-H-A-T?" It appears to be MISSING! ) And give the other passenger an accusing glance. Then, after enough time has gone by to give the "lady" some anxiety, I would comment, "Oh, yes. Here it is.)
Old Jun 6, 2007, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by drat19
Now, since I carry a backpack and not a frickin' rollaboard like the rest of you inconsiderate overhead storage hogs (feel free to fire away in reply to that comment - I really don't care),
Personally, I want to thank you.

Without people like you, I couldn't possibly bring the maximum sized rollaboard along with the maximum sized briefcase like I do on just about every trip.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by birdstrike
I would never move another persons bag, though I've had mine moved.
Nooooo way would I move someone's bag more than an inch or two so that I could slide mine in.

In fact, at one of the security checkpoints at IFW (I've Forgotten Which) a TSA officer yelled at me for not forcing the bin in front of mine into the scanner when the bins became log-jammed. I told her that I didn't touch other people's things and that she would have to do it herself.

The OP didn't happen to tell the woman who removed his bag that something was missing, but there is no way I would take the chance that someone else would.

I'm not sure whether doing this takes more nerve than stupidity or more stupidity than nerve, or equal parts of both.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HLT GLD, SPG GLD
Absolutely my pet peeve. I hate people moving stuff in the o/h around. I board early (more often than not) and I try to take the bin nearest me. When connections or other reasons force me to get on board late and the bin above me is tight I generally ask for permission before I move someone's stuff around. 'cuz u never know when something delicate/fragile/breakable and moving it the wrong way could cause it to break or be destroyed...

First time in almost 10 years of flying that I've done this, a gentleman in FIRST thanked me for asking. I almost fell down (with his bag mind you) and couldn't respond for a minute, then thanked him for thanking me...

So where has common courtesy gone?!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpoTrac
I also agree that there should never be a time when it is proper for anyone to move someone's bag out of a bin without their knowledge. Rearranging is one thing, but never moving it.
Actually, I can think of one case:

Bin A has some space but not enough for your rollaboard. Bin B likewise. However, there is a smaller item in A that would fit in B and leave enough space for your rollaboard.

I've never been in the situation but I've seen a FA do it.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 5:32 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Anecdotal evidence only, but I agree with you. In my experience women travelers are more likely to move my stuff without asking than men are. I don't have a theory for why this should be the case, but it is.
As a woman traveller/borderline road warrior (Xena maybe), I always have a lot more stuff with me than the guys do. Men can travel a lot lighter than women. I can't usually travel in the shoes I will wear to tomorrow's meeting but guys can get away with basic black loafers for all occasions; one of my male co-workers can pack his laptop AND everything he needs for a week-long work trip in a single backpack. I may travel light "for a girl" but I doubt I will ever get to the week-in-a-backpack stage.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 5:34 pm

I AM THE JERK!

I will often store my bag in the first available bin - even if I am sitting nearer the back.

I will usually try to put my bag in the bin above my seat, or the bin in front of it.

I will move someone's bag wantonly, if it suits my purposes!

On moving someone's bag, to be honest the only time I do that is if there are, say, two bins beside one another, and there may be a small space in bin B, and if a small bag was moved from A to B, I could fit my bag in bin A, then I'll do it without even thinking.

I also don't see a problem with putting my bag further forward than my seat. Hey, it's first come, first served. If anyone wants to take real issue with it, the F/A is gonna side with me every time! And if the guy who says he will order people not to touch his bag piped up on my flight, I'd just keep doing it to upset him even more! He can talk all he wants - talking doesn't hamper my hand movement, it just means I have a captive audience, which I don't mind one bit.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
If anyone ever wondered the REAL reason everyone is screened for weapons before boarding a flight, they just need to read this thread.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
Wow, your world must be very small. It is sexist and it is racist and it's insulting to know that this caveman way of thinking still exists. It's about rudeness, which comes in both sexes, all races and all creeds. I am sorry if some woman in your life was very, very mean to you, but don'ttake it out on all women. Geez!
until proven otherwise, i will still insist that a lot of culprits of this inconsiderate act are female customers rather than male customers and insist that this view is respected. Nothing personal.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PTravel
The legal term for what she did is "asportation."
I have no particular insight into this situation, but wanted to say that this is a really cool word.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.